Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Back in Black

Question Food Allergies, Disneyland, and YOU!

So, I know this topic has been touched on quite a bit here and there, but I thought it might be good to get everyone that might need it back up to speed, as well as ask a few of my own questions!

Most of us know that we can visit City Hall on Main Street to have cast members let us know which foods to eat/avoid in regards to any allergies we may have. But how is that information given? Do we carry around packets of paper listing allergen-free foods in each of the restaurants? How specific will their solutions be for your incredibly specific allergies?

My good friend is coming out for a visit in early May, and he's got a great-granddaddy of an allergy where he can't eat soy, soy lecithin, MSG, vegetable oil, canola oil, or gluten.

And, just to be clear... I'm not here expecting answers on what dishes he can eat from you guys. I understand thats unreasonable! Just thought I'd offer a hopefully more permanant place for these kind of things to be discussed than in the past.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

•   
    • Minion

Re: Food Allergies, Disneyland, and YOU!

I'd be interested in this subject too. I have a severe shellfish allergy and my strategy has been to completely avoid the restaurants that serve it - unfortunately that includes Blue Bayou, Club 33, Carthay Circle, the Carnation Cafe, etc.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1955 View Post
    So, I know this topic has been touched on quite a bit here and there, but I thought it might be good to get everyone that might need it back up to speed, as well as ask a few of my own questions!

Most of us know that we can visit City Hall on Main Street to have cast members let us know which foods to eat/avoid in regards to any allergies we may have. But how is that information given? Do we carry around packets of paper listing allergen-free foods in each of the restaurants? How specific will their solutions be for your incredibly specific allergies?

My good friend is coming out for a visit in early May, and he's got a great-granddaddy of an allergy where he can't eat soy, soy lecithin, MSG, vegetable oil, canola oil, or gluten.

And, just to be clear... I'm not here expecting answers on what dishes he can eat from you guys. I understand thats unreasonable! Just thought I'd offer a hopefully more permanant place for these kind of things to be discussed than in the past.

As a Celiac I can tell you that there is a 6 or 7 page list of 'safe' gluten free foods listed by restaurant for DL, DCA, & the hotels. Not sure about lists for the other major allergens.

According to the DL website, for severe or multiple allergies, they request that you email them 14 days prior to arrival. Here's the link;

Food and Allergy Information | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort

Guests with requests associated with the list below should contact the Disneyland Resort [email protected] at least 14 days prior to arrival and after booking all dining arrangements for the entire visit:

• Allergy or intolerance not listed above under Common Food Allergies
    • PKU
    • Metabolic disorders
    • A single guest with multiple allergies/intolerances or multiple guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Back in Black

Great information Stormy, thank you!

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else out there who has dealt with this first-hand? Not necessarily the 14 day experience... Just experiencing Disney dining with allergies. Do you feel like you've missed out on part of the magic at all?
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• The doctor is in

I have a pumpkin allergy so whenever Fall hits I miss out on a lot of foods and drinks. When I did Disneyland in October I was a little cautious because there were pumpkin specialty things all over the place in both DTD and the parks. You do feel like you miss out a bit, but I would rather miss out than take a trip to the hospital.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1955 View Post
    Great information Stormy, thank you!

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else out there who has dealt with this first-hand? Not necessarily the 14 day experience... Just experiencing Disney dining with allergies. Do you feel like you've missed out on part of the magic at all?

As far as the magic is concerned, as anyone with food allergies/intolerances can tell you, NOT being able to eat someplace is a real downer & can leave you feeling truly left out. Imagine what it is like to sit eating a 'brought in' sandwich from your backpack while everyone in your party is enjoying a delicious meal or yummy snack. It is truly magical that Disney can accommodate us. I don't think someone not in our situation can truly appreciate how wonderful it is to know that we can be 'normal' and not have to lug around a load of 'safe' food and snacks. Every time I walked up to a food place and was told 'of course we understand about gluten free and it is not problem' I felt like I was being sprinkled with Pixie Dust. Yes, there are/will still be places & things we cannot eat & that's a bummer. I'll probably never have a churro or a corn dog at DL. I can live with that because they are so willing to work with and accommodate me in other places.

I'm sure your friend will have the same magical experience that you do. Maybe even more so, because we find that 'magic' in an unexpected place, a place that most people take for granted but we never can; DLR's restaurants.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Mrs. J. Depp

I have several allergies as well and also try and refrain from unnatural sugars which is nearly impossible to do these days. The last time I went to the parks (last holiday season) I just ate what I wanted (no fatal allergies here) but if I were to do that for more than one day, I'd be suffering pretty bad digestively speaking.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I've got a severe dairy intolerance, so I def. know about the hassles of eating in the parks. I checked recently with City Hall and they said they only had a list of Gluten-Free and Kosher foods. For any other allergies, they said I'd have to talk to a Chef at each location and they'd be able to help. It's a hassle, but they absolutely will help, even so far as to bring the labels out so you can check the ingredients.

I found out today that Riverbelle Terrace and Flo's V8 Café have Gluten-Free bread (don't know about other restaurants as I've only inquired about it at these two restaurants so far). Since I could eat the torta bread at Riverbelle, I didn't ask about the GF bread there, but the Chef at Flo's told me their GF roll is from Sprouts and is also Dairy-Free (it was okay tasting- just needed some Earth Balance Vegan Spread ). As far as the sides at Flo's go, only the Beans, Corn Medley, Peas & Carrots, and Cole Slaw are DF. I got the Corn Medley and Cole Slaw tonight.... CS was actually really good.. the Corn Medley was rather pathetic though. LOL Dole Whip is def. out of the question for me (Sodium Caseinate), as are nearly all fried foods and candies in the Resort. I had the Vegan Burger at Carnation Café recently and it was actually pretty good.

But yeah- just ask to speak to a Chef at each restaurant you want to eat at and they absolutely will do their best to not only help you, but make sure you don't feel like a burden. At least that's my experience.

I don't have an allergy per se... just a sensitive palate towards spices. So anything spicy is out, even more so for "Cajun" and "Thai". (I can't even eat mild salsa... too hot!) So my boyfriend and I decided to go to NOS to try the various food dishes because they just sounded so good!

My concern came out at Cafe Orleans where normally there are only like three main entrees I can eat (both Monte Cristo's and the Seafood Crepe). I decided to try the Sea Bass and I found out that the Scotch Bonnet Sauce has Jalapeno essence and the Mango-Pineapple Salsa has Habenero essence along with a spicy topping. I tried to tell the waiter my concerns and out comes the Assistant Chef named Diego, and he was awesome! Diego was the one who told me about the peppers they used and tried to work with me. Diego suggested that I get a tomato-fennel sauce that they have and would pair well with the Bass. I had that and it was not spicy and tasted so yummy! I agree with asking to talk to a Chef at each restaurant. At the Carts, I think they can contact their Lead for you and they can come onstage to perhaps try to answer your questions. (Hopefully they'll be able to answer your questions! At least the ice creams are wrapped and have their ingredients on the bag!)

Just my two cents!

My sister has several allergies, so when both of our families go, we have two choices -- planning ahead is the best way, if you know where you want to eat. With multiple allergies you can contact Disney in advance, as what another poster said above. You can make arrangements directly with the restaurant. Then once you get there be sure to mention it to everyone you see, from the host to the server. then be sure to speak to the chef to see how they can accommodate you. You can also just do this without advance notice but your options will be a lot more limited. For non sit down places, city hall can provide you a list of stock options for the common allergies.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

tiggerjay, unless this has changed since I last checked- City Hall only has a list of Gluten-Free and Kosher options. Otherwise, you must speak with a chef at each location you eat at.

• DLR Cast Member

I recommend that you always talk to the chef at whatever restaurant if you have any kind of allergy. At the Disneyland table service restaurants, we always have the chef come out and discuss your needs. Allergies require special treatment in the food proparation and service to avoid cross contamination, and the way to avoid that is always, always talk to the chef. They are available, and they want to get it right for you.

• "Always On The Move..."

I'm another one for talking with the chefs. I have a severe lemon allergy and when I have inquired about if lemon is used they have ALWAYS brought the chef out to talk to me about it. When I was last at Carthay Circle the cheft told me that 'we take allergies very seriously." The bacon=wrapped shrimp that I wanted did have lemon in it and he made me an entirely different sauce that was absolutely delicious. He then came out to see if I was happy with it. I can't praise Disney enough for how they deal with allergies.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

•   
    • Minion

In regards to cross-contamination: so they can really accommodate this? I know on the website it says "we can't guarantee cross-contamination won't happen" so this would be amazing news for me. Up until now Ive just avoided places that serve shellfish for this reason - unfortunately that's a fair chunk of the restaurants at both DLR and DCA.

Does this work at Goofy's Kitchen too? I have always wanted to eat there but I know they serve shrimp.

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

I have nut and seafood allergies...non-life threatening. I usually do alright with just staying away from anything with seafood in it and asking the CM's about ingredients if I am not sure. Most of the time, there's no problem and I do not feel like a burden.

However, I had one instance at DCA where I ordered an ice cream sundae with nut-free cookies and mint chip ice cream. I informed the CM about my allergy and was assured that there were no nuts. I received my ice cream, took a few bites and in the next bite, I bit into something that was definitely NOT cookie. I looked at it and sure enough, it was a nut. Perhaps it had been inadvertantly mixed into the fudge sauce or something, but I immediately took it back up to the counter and the CM argued with me that it couldn't have been a nut...that it must have been cookie. Finally, the CM went into the back and made me a new sundae from the flavors/toppings that had no other possible contact with any nuts. Why this didn't happen the first time, I don't know. But it did kinda ruin the rest of the day because I had to take medicine...and it makes me drowsy.

But that is the only "bad" experience I've had.
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast