Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Flash Flood Rapids -- The One That Got Away

What's interesting to me is that it actually sounds similar in concept to the rapids ride that once operated at the now defunct MGM Grand Adventures theme park in Las Vegas. Granted, this treatment sounds a bit more fun (whether or not it would have panned out as such, who knows) - but the similarities are certainly there. I'm not a fan of rapids rides, but MGM Grand Adventures had possibility the best one at the time.

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• Team Hail HYDRA

this ride seems really cool
    far better than GRR

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• failure for lunch

Yeah, that's such a great article. Eddie Sotto is the man. He added so much to Knotts that's unfortunately not there anymore. On one hand it sucks that Knotts didn't buy into this project, but on the other hand I'm sure if they did, it would have slowly fallen apart like The Soap Box Racers to the point where you were just racing past empty caves.

I'm pretty sure they have some cool concept drawings in the article. You should check them out if you have a minute.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

It does not matter who this was pitched to it would of been a great attraction to see.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Quote Originally Posted by createamations View Post
    What's interesting to me is that it actually sounds similar in concept to the rapids ride that once operated at the now defunct MGM Grand Adventures theme park in Las Vegas. Granted, this treatment sounds a bit more fun (whether or not it would have panned out as such, who knows) - but the similarities are certainly there. I'm not a fan of rapids rides, but MGM Grand Adventures had possibility the best one at the time.
    Createamations, I recall this ride quite fondly. I loved the Canyon Rapids ride at the MGM and the finale was quite similar to what's described. Your raft would travel through a cave where dynamite was set to detonate and you would make it out just in time. Similar to the Calico Mine Ride at KBF. Oh, how I miss Grand Adventures!
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by wicked82 View Post
    Createamations, I recall this ride quite fondly. I loved the Canyon Rapids ride at the MGM and the finale was quite similar to what's described. Your raft would travel through a cave where dynamite was set to detonate and you would make it out just in time. Similar to the Calico Mine Ride at KBF. Oh, how I miss Grand Adventures!
    Sadly when I visited the park (1997) it was already 1/3 its original size and lacking several of the original major attractions. I remember it still being a quaint atmosphere though - and the rapids ride was absolutely the stand-out star for me.

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

the idea of the flash flood sounds fun with that said i think GRR has lots of potential and could become a very fun attraction that not only rely on the water aspect but also a storyline similar to what is being discussed int he original post.

There is plenty of room behind GRR and next to the restroom area to add a small mining town.

The flume layout and the mountain itself has areas that could easily be covered with structures without interfering with the overall look of the mountain and still keep the iconic bear structure in place.

The most obvious is building a cover over the lift hill that connects to the bottom water wheel structure.
    The first cave could easily hold some interesting projections to look like shadows of bears

and the first drop could also be made covered so that it was a darkened cave or mine that has been flooded.

The story could be about a flooded mine that has been taken over by a group of bears and although i really like large challenge trail i think that the area has great potential to be used for a nice family attraction that could also be tied into the whole mining theme.

^Sigh, Baloo, *any* of your ideas sound better than Grizzly is in its current presentation. The area around the base of the attraction is so compelling, but once you're on it, it's like, "Oh look, rocks."

Grizzly could easily benefit from a theme similar to that found on Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. Just enough cartoon to make the whole experience really charming. Add in your ideas for the flooded mine and you have a winner for sure!

I was about to add - as a joke - "secret grizzly bathing pool"- but the more I think about it, what was meant as a bit of sarcasm actually could be a fun idea to tie in why the mine is flooded :oP

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by createamations View Post
    ^Sigh, Baloo, *any* of your ideas sound better than Grizzly is in its current presentation. The area around the base of the attraction is so compelling, but once you're on it, it's like, "Oh look, rocks."

Grizzly could easily benefit from a theme similar to that found on Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. Just enough cartoon to make the whole experience really charming. Add in your ideas for the flooded mine and you have a winner for sure!

I was about to add - as a joke - "secret grizzly bathing pool"- but the more I think about it, what was meant as a bit of sarcasm actually could be a fun idea to tie in why the mine is flooded :oP
    I love these ideas. I remember a story about Walt's last day at his Studios, before he was hospitalized and passed away. He was looking at concept drawings for the Country Bear Jamboree and he was delighted at the performing bears. Putting bears into GRR might truly be "What Walt Would have Wanted".

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

To be fair, there is already quite a bit of the whole "gold mine" type stuff at the resort. Something more original for GRR would be welcome too.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    I love these ideas. I remember a story about Walt's last day at his Studios, before he was hospitalized and passed away. He was looking at concept drawings for the Country Bear Jamboree and he was delighted at the performing bears. Putting bears into GRR might truly be "What Walt Would have Wanted".
    If only Disneyland had a few dozen animatronic bears in storage from an attraction that closed a handful of years ago!

• Sock Puppet

i like GRR. maybe some more animatronic animals would be nice.but i like it the way it is. The flash flood thing i am sorry sounds not so great to me.I been in a flash flood, it's not great or fun.

It would still work in Frontierland! There is plenty of room at the back for something this elaborate, and it is a different enough water ride experience from the others in the park to not be redundant. Everyone wants to come up with something new and different for FL; this is the most exciting possibility I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i like GRR. maybe some more animatronic animals would be nice.but i like it the way it is. The flash flood thing i am sorry sounds not so great to me.I been in a flash flood, it's not great or fun.
    Well a real out of control train would probably not be fun yet most people love BTMR.

• Armchair Imagineer

That flash flood thing at Universal remains a classic. I don't believe that anyone has yet to sue Universal for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast