Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Somewhere beyond the walls of Disneyland in a land far, far away...

Re: Any advice on planning a trip to Disneyland California for husbands 30th birthday

Since we have moved, we are not able to go to the DLR as often as we used to, but something that your husband might enjoy (if it is still available) is a ride on the Lilly Belle car on the DLRR. If they still do it, go to the train station first thing and ask the conductors if any rides are available.

Also, I understand that the exhibit at the Ronald Reagan Library is fantastic and definitely for a mega fan. We're hoping to check it out whenever we're in the area again.

Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are both charming beach towns and we always enjoyed eating at Ruby's located at the end of a pier in Newport Beach...there's an outdoor seating area upstairs that provides amazing views of the ocean.

I'm sure you will have an amazing time no matter where you end up going!
    Imagination ~ dream a fantastic dream ~ use your imagination

Please visit my store!
    http://www.zazzle.com/carouselofcolor*

My current blog - check it out!
    http://www.thishappyplace.wordpress.com

Re: Any advice on planning a trip to Disneyland California for husbands 30th birthday

Thanks mmeleota!
    I will definately enquire about the Lilly Belle car!
    I think the last couple days of the holiday wil be spent relaxing at some of the beach towns, and Ruby's is definately now on my list of restaurants to visit.

My stays at the Candy Cane have always been good and you get the same deals even if you book through them, the staff is great and the location can't be beat,the shuttle is clean and quick and never crowded,if you continue to stay with them in the future you will always get a 10 percent discount on your stay and free parking, the breakfast are good also.
    If your looking for Alice she's not here...

If you drive down to Oceanside Pier there is a Ruby's at the end of it and you can have lunch and maybe see some whales like we did a week ago.
    If your looking for Alice she's not here...

Quote Originally Posted by CluelessKate View Post
    Anyone know if I can only get Magic mornings by booking directly through with Disney? Both hotels on the short list are Good Neighbour hotels but only Fairfield Inn is available on my chosen dates through the Disney website. Strangely Candy Cane is available on those same dates, but only if I book directly with the hotel.
    THe Magic Morning comes with a multi-day pass, whether you buy them through Disney or through an authorized reseller, like the Good Neighbor hotels. You can get the early entry at either hotel, so don't let that be a factor.

• Pooloo See Bagoomba

Quote Originally Posted by micvicfaust View Post
    My stays at the Candy Cane have always been good and you get the same deals even if you book through them, the staff is great and the location can't be beat,the shuttle is clean and quick and never crowded,if you continue to stay with them in the future you will always get a 10 percent discount on your stay and free parking, the breakfast are good also.
    I can second all of this. The Candy Cane has always been a great place. My favorite of the Harbor Blvd hotels.

The Reagan Library is a great suggestion too. I'm headed up there this week to check it out. It may be too far for you if you aren't already headed that way.

The Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour is fun. Even for those of us who go to the park all the time.

My last idea. Cake. Lots of Cake. Happy Birthday to your husband!

I have to say at the moment I'm definately leaning towards The Candy Cane!

Quote Originally Posted by humphreybear62 View Post
    The Walk In Walt's Footsteps Tour is fun. Even for those of us who go to the park all the time.

My last idea. Cake. Lots of Cake. Happy Birthday to your husband!
    I did not know about the tour so it's something to factor in!

OMG I completely forgot about cake!!!
    Too busy concerntrating about traveling arrangements I'm neglecting the finishing touches!

Must remember cake!!

Cake:

Order a Disneyland Resort Personal-Size Party Cake
    Celebrate your birthday with a meal at a full-service restaurant in Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure Park or the Disneyland Resort Hotels, and add to the fun with a Disney Princess Jewelry Box or Disney Pirate Treasure Chest! Each comes with a special surprise and an individual cake! The Princess Jewelry Box and the Disney Pirate Treasure Chest are available at full-service restaurants, Character dining locations, and through Disney Hotel Room Service.
    Price: $15 each, plus tax.

Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.
    *Not available at Downtown Disney District restaurants. All information, including, but not limited to, prices, offerings and location are subject to change without notice.
    **Valid Theme Park admission is required, other restrictions apply. All information, including, but not limited to, prices and offerings, subject to change without notice. Seating times may vary during weekend and holiday periods.

Thats perfect Kirstenh!
    I was looking at nearby Anaheim bakeries for some crazy reason instead of whether Disneyland would do one!
    I'm thinking a dinner at the Blue Bayou with a Disney Pirate Treasure Chest on the big day!

Thanks for the awesome tip

• Blew By You

If your budget is good, I'd take a trip up to San Francisco to visit the Walt Disney Museum too. It's something I haven't done but hopefully will do so this year.
    I'd recommend Residence Inn by Mariott. It's a good long term stay hotel and it has some very good rooms. You can walk to Disneyland or take their shuttle.

FYI, the Indiana Jones exhibit at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana is scheduled to end after April 21st. Santa Ana is just a couple cities over from Anaheim, 5-10 minutes' drive on the freeway in light traffic. Here's the link: Indiana Jones | Discovery Science Center I went to see this last month, and there were great costumes, props, and artwork from the four movies, as well as tie-ins to real-life archaeology.

The exhibit at the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley (about 60-90 minutes northwest of Los Angeles, so maybe 2 hours from Anaheim) is called Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives. You can read more about it at the library's page for this exhibit: REAGANFOUNDATION.ORG | TEMPORARY EXHIBITS : D23 PRESENTS TREASURES OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES AT THE REAGAN LIBRARY
    According to their website, the exhibit will end sometime in April-- there's no exact date listed.

If you end up going to San Francisco, I've heard nothing but good things about the Walt Disney Family Museum (I've not had the chance to visit myself). Reading articles from the Yesterland website about his visit there has made me want to go to San Francisco just to visit the museum. Those articles are listed here and here.

If you spend a few days in Los Angeles and want to see the real workings of a movie studio and not just a theme park located alongside a movie studio (Universal Studios Hollywood), there are less well-known tours of real working major studios like Warner Brothers in Burbank and Paramount in Hollywood.

In Burbank at the NBC Studios, you can attend a taping of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno (don't know if you have that program in the UK). I haven't been to a taping for 15 years, but apparently you can request tickets for the show 4-6 weeks in advance through the Today Show website.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.
    I really would love to go to San Francisco, hubby and I have been before years ago and absolutely loved it, but sadly it's just not in the budget!

So I'm thinking of spending some days in Anaheim doing Disney and a couple of days in Santa Monica (which is both beach and would also allow me to access Los Angeles easily do some of your LA suggestions).

It's getting so odd trying to book a big holiday by myself, first instinct is to ask hubby which is completely out of the question as it's a surprise!!!
    I've even started to dream about this trip!
    Last edited by CluelessKate; 02-18-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: update

FYI, Robert Niles just posted an excellent set of practical tips for planning a first-time visit to Disneyland at his website Theme Park Insider: Planning a trip to Southern California's Disneyland Resort

• New Member Goes Forth

If you are into theme parks, Southern California has some of the best! Universal Studios hollywood is great with the famous studio tour. Sea World should be visited if you like animals. Disneyland And DCA is a must a must at the moment, with the new Cara LAnd And Buena Vista Street.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12