Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Any advice on planning a trip to Disneyland California for husbands 30th birthday!

Dear Micechatters!
    I'm writing for advice and help with planning a surprise 30th birthday treat for my husband to Disneyland California. My better half loves the Disneyland parks and all the work the those imagineers do!
    I wonder if you all would be kind enough to give me some tips on must-do things or suggestions on how to make this trip as special as possible. I'm thinking of a 1-2 week trip to California and spending as much time as needed in Disney (how many days would you recommend to put aside for Disneyland?). I'm not quite sure where to stay either so any recommendations on that would be welcome!

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

• Banned User

Re: Any advice on planning a trip to Disneyland California for husbands 30th birthday

Disneyland doesn't need a week or two. It needs 3 or 4 days for the most enthusiastic. Perhaps take a side trip to Hollywood to see the Disney's El Capitan. There's an Indiana Jones exhibit at the Discovery Science Museum in Santa Ana. See the Disney Music Hall in downtown L.A.

Buy the food package to get reserved seating for DCA's World of Color. Reserve dinner at the table restaurants in the two parks. Good Luck

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Any advice on planning a trip to Disneyland California for husbands 30th birthday

3-4 days tops is the ideal amount of time for the DLR. But 2 weeks is a good idea to see most of the highlights in So Cal such as Hollywood, Knotts, USH, San Diego/Sea World.

The best place to stay for a So Cal vacations in Anaheim. Not because it is near Disneyland but because it is central to everything that you will be doing. LA is too far to the north and San Diego is too far to the south. Anaheim is located between the two so that would make it easier to get around.

And also take a trip to the beach. The popular LA beaches are too gross (and too far away from Anaheim). The nicest beaches (besides those near San Diego) are actually the closest to Anaheim aNd those would be either Huntington Beach or Newport Beach.

• Banned User

Absolutely try to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. You won't regret it. But if you have money, stay at the Grand Californian. If you decide to stay at the Disneyland Resort, I recommend 5 nights/ 6 days. The resorts are worth the atmosphere. On the days that you decide to crash and not visit the parks, there are plenty to do.

My wife and I enjoy the Candy Cane Hotel,very clean,free shuttle to the parks or you can walk, free cont. breakfast, free parking with stay and a great staff..also great beds around $120 to $150 a night, well worth it. I think I have stayed in almost every hotel around Disneyland over the years and this one ranks very high in my book.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well I am the exception, since I am about to embark on a 10 day vacation to Disneyland. Yes all Disneyland/DCA.

However, with good planning, and concentrating on all the things your really want to do, 3 or 4 days makes for a nice visit.

Check the park calendar, and make note of all the schedules for fireworks, parades, and any other entertainment you may be interested in. Check for closures during your trip. Start early, and have a plan. Use fastpass.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Make sure you get the pin at Disneyland City Hall noting that it's his birthday - it's nice to have that little extra greeting from cast members.

On his birthday, maybe make reservations at Blue Bayou or Napa Rose, as those are great restaurants.

I agree that Anaheim is central, so get a hotel there as they will probably give you a great discount for staying so long.

If you want to have time to see everything at both parks, I would do 4 days, then send a week doing Knott's Berry Farm, Hollywood, etc. then spend the last two days at Disney before heading back.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Disneyland is only going to take the most slowest of people 4-5 days at most. Go spend some time here in CA. Maybe do 2-3 days in San Fran. There is alot to do. Spend a night down at Lunga or Hunington. Enjoy yourself
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Make sure you get the pin at Disneyland City Hall noting that it's his birthday - it's nice to have that little extra greeting from cast members.
    Not only do you get the greetings but most of the time they will seat you in the front of each ride. I got a front row seat for Radiator Springs Racers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, It's a Small World, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Jungle Cruise (was right next to the skipper who had our whole boat say "happy birthday"), Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Matterhorn Bobsleds.
    You also get a special dessert when you dine at the restaurants in both Disneyland and Downtown Disney. On my birthday trip I think I got at least 5 free desserts over the course of my 3-day trip. I also got extra hugs from Eeyore, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey, and Stitch because they saw my birthday pin.

So yes, definitely make City Hall your first stop so you can get the birthday pin.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

Wow thanks to all of you for replying! I'm going to compile a list of all your suggestions!

As we are from the UK I'm definitely planning to spend some time exploring California as well as Disneyland. It really helps that you all have given me an idea of how long to stay in Disneyland for.

I will definitely get a birthday pin!

Thanks for the side trip suggestions, they really will help me when deciding on places to visit and go, I might not have known about some of them otherwise.

Hotel suggestions have also been a great help. I'd love book a stay at one of the Disney hotels but on top of flights e.t.c. I don't know if I can push my budget that far! :-(

OH loves Indiana Jones! Hope the exhibition will still be on when we get there!

Seriously you guys have been amazing! I don't feel so blank when thinking about this trip now. Any other suggestions please let me know!

Getting very excited about the trip! Just hope he'll love it!
    Last edited by CluelessKate; 01-25-2013 at 03:44 PM.

• The doctor is in

It is pretty cliche and seemingly overrated at this point, but I would try and do a side trip and spend an afternoon at Laguna Beach. It is a neat little town area and the beach is really beautiful. The beach walk is nice, too.

And stay at a Good Neighbor hotel. It will save you a lot of money.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Disneyland History Lover

If you're looking for a day to just relax and be mellow, I highly recommend visiting Catalina Island. You can get there by ferry in a little over an hour. There are many places to stay, and it is quite relaxing. There is a little museum to visit as well as botanical gardens and hiking trails around the mountains.

I agree with staying at a Good Neighbor hotel. One like carousel, camelot inn and suites, tropicana or park place inn is great as it's right across the street and you can go back during the day for a break or a nap.

So I think I have narrowed it down to the Candy Cane Inn and the Fairfield Inn Anaheim. Still not sure which to go for!

Anyone know if I can only get Magic mornings by booking directly through with Disney? Both hotels on the short list are Good Neighbour hotels but only Fairfield Inn is available on my chosen dates through the Disney website. Strangely Candy Cane is available on those same dates, but only if I book directly with the hotel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast