Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: If you were the CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I would focus on boosting CM morale. Update the backstage areas. All of them. Let the same quality prevail on both sides of the Cast Members Only doors. You make them happy, and they will hopefully make the guest happy. Also, TDA suits would be required to know the park for which they work.
    This.

Also, I'd put in Horizons from Epcot. I'd take out Haunted Manison Holiday. I'd limit Fantasmic, so people could enjoy an uncrowded, nightime New Orleans Square. I'd also minimize the fireworks so they wouldn't jam up 3/4 of the park, and completely clog the hub and Main Street, and have to shut down Fantasyland to show them.
    This may not be the most realistic of lists, but hey, it's all fantasy, anyway.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Yep. I really don't care that much about what shareholders think. If they don't like it, they can sell their shares back to the company. In fact, I'd probably initiate a major stock buyback so the company can be primarily privately held again. Although the company's IPO was in April 1940, do you really think Walt gave that much attention to what the shareholders thought? If he did, Disneyland never would have been built, and it's unlikely he would have gone into television when he did.

So, yeah, unlike the current corporate suits, I don't really give that much value to shareholder opinion (and neither did Walt). If I'm running the show, I do what I think is right for the company. And I think that selling those companies would not only provide a LOT of cash to the company coffers, but it would help to provide better focus for the company.

You know, I'd LEAD the company. Not just be the figurehead, kowtowing to whatever the shareholders tell me to do. That's just how I roll.
    So liquidating the divisions that make a TON of money for the company. I would think that would make the price of TWDC stock drop like a rock. Which you say would lead you to a massive buyback of stock, thus emptying the coffers of whatever cash you just got from selling all those divisions.

I see hostile takeover by a company that would be laughing all the way to the bank because the crazy CEO just killed his company by putting it on a silver platter. They could quickly spin off the parks, sell the rights to Mickey Mouse, sell off the movie division and likely make a profit from the slaughter.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    First I would retrain all CMs across the board. Only hire people with Custormer Service histroy in background.
    You would never be able to hire enough with that requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I would focus on boosting CM morale. Update the backstage areas. All of them. Let the same quality prevail on both sides of the Cast Members Only doors. You make them happy, and they will hopefully make the guest happy. Also, TDA suits would be required to know the park for which they work.
    I don't think the CMs are bad, but could be better.

I would boost morale too, by hosting an all employee Christmas Party, and Spring and Fall CM parties. This way you give seasonal CMs and more part time CMs a chance at the special events. I would also want to substantially subsidize the cost of employee meals.

I would also change how CMs arrive so they enter the parks in a more direct manner to get to where they work. Simply put they would have to come in from a remote area by bus. The remote area would house HR and Costuming. The buses would circle the park and make multiple drops to let the CMs off at thier stage entrance. CMs would be paid while riding the bus by clocking in at the remote area.

I would also increase pay for expirienced new CMs, having adjustable starting wages. Training would be over a more extended period.

concerning employees: focus on retention, enforcing a high standard and compensating accordingly...

concerning guests: fasttrack a 3rd park to help alleviate the overcrowding

concerning profits: lol who cares we are loaded

• formerly very helpful

As for cast members, since I really don't know what are the problems concerning thier jobs, I'd question them about what could be better, what would make them happier, and if it was reasonable, I'd make it happen.

Truthfully, more than a Christmas party, I believe this is what most employees ANYWHERE want.

• No Disassemble!

- Build a 10,000 car expansion to Mickey & Friends which includes a covered parking level for CMs.

- Dig up the old Westcot plans, re-hire its development team, and build it on the Toy Story & Cast Member's Lot.

- Build a surf themed water park on the Pumbaa lot.

- Pick up the following sponsors:

Qualcomm
    : To expand the existing network infrastructure in the parks to include things like high speed wi-fi, real-time crowd activity monitoring (guests can find out where heavy people-traffic is in the parks and avoid it), and RFID interaction with all sorts of park elements. To name a few at least.
    Google: To re-vamp the Disney Parks Mobile Magic app. To help produce a new technology-retrospective & future concepts themed animatronics show in the spirit of the Carousel of Progress to take place in the "old" innoventions building.
    Time Life: To help (using historical imagery) in the creation of a dark ride that covers the entire history of Disneyland and will utilize elaborate sets as well as anamatronics to transport guests back to opening day 1955. Other significant events will be covered as well like the great Disneyland flood, opening day of Star Tours, etc.
    Bose: To revamp the audio systems throughout the parks (3D audio anyone?).
    Round Table Pizza: Because anything is better than the sadness pies that are being sold in the park now.
    Tesla: To refresh the Autopia.

- Refurb the Peoplemover track and build a Wall-E themed attraction.

- Update Main Street cinema so that you can choose (with a smartphone/tablet app or via a kiosk in the theater) what shows up on the screen. Will specifically only have classic Disney shorts to choose from.

- In the hub, make the planters that have big trees in them descend underground temporarily so that more people can have a clear view of the castle during the fireworks.

- Re-evaluate the food quality at Cochina Cucamonga & Lucky Fortune Cookery and offer the guests something a little more authentic tasting.

- Replace Heimlich's Chew Chew train with something that doesn't put guests to sleep.

- Have a reproduction of the ABC show "The Taste" for guests come to DCA during the food & wine festival.

- Have a reproduction of "Shark Tank" come to D23 where guests have to convince a panel of Disney's legendary imagineers to invest in their attraction or new park ideas.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

If I were CEO of Disneyland...

1) Bring back the Peoplemover

2) Replace Innoventions with an original E-ticket attraction

3) Install a parking structure on the Pumba lot to handle peak summer crowds.

4) Increase AP prices to reduce crowds.

5) Stop Fastpass+ from coming to Anaheim

6) Increase CM wages...they work too hard for how much they get paid.

7) New parade/firework show

8) Convert Autopia cars to electric vehicles.

9) More unique merchandise for gift shops.

10) Make guest satisfaction and show the highest priority, not the bottom line. Look what happened to Disney World when they focused on finances more than maintenance and show. Disney's attention to detail is what separates it from all other theme parks.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    Say if you were the next CEO of Disneyland what attraction would you take out?
    Buzz Lightyear.

Would you bring any attractions back from yesterland?
    Not the same exact attractions but certainly updated versions of:

PENNY ARCADE: Or should I say the Pre-Pressler Penny Arcade? (say that three times fast)

TAHITIAN TERRACE: Not only would this help address the lack of full service dining inside the Park, but it would help (in a small way) alleviate some of the crowds off the walkways by adding to the parks overall attraction capacity. Additionally, since it is indeed a restaurant, Disney can get around the unlimited feature of the park admission and actually charge guests to experience it.

COUNTRY BEARS: Don't have to bring them back exactly the same though.....let's pretend they went on a voyage into outter space and now their back from that journey and wish to impart upon modern audiences some of the great music they played way out there including..... Fly me to the Moon, Calling Occupants, Rocket Man, Major Tom and more. Of course, the Bears will need to move their playhouse to a more befitting location, The Magic Eye Theater perhaps and they can call the attraction The Space Bear Jamboree

THE SKYWAY: Modern buckets with tinted windows and solar powered AC. An onboard computer with conversational software will answer questions about what you are seeing along the 5 minute journey.

MOTORBOAT CRUISE: Radical changes include Aquatopia technology and a boat design that resembles a leaf powered by a giant mosquito. Everything one needs to survive a thrilling encounter with Madame Medusa's pet alligators. Obviously this attraction will be re-named The Rescuers

KEEL BOATS: Adds more movement to the Rivers of America, more ride capacity to the park and with a side journey into a geyser field more excitement for the xbox generation. As the boats take a small detour off the ROA, guests see an old Keel Boat, upside down and partially smashed on some rocks near the shore. Suddenly, geysers are exploding all over the place and then, the Keel Boat we're riding in starts to rumble and the boats are actually lifted up into the air upon a jet of water. Fortunately, our boat comes down right side up and intact so we can finish the trip.

PEOPLEMOVER: Would add a ton of additional ride capacity to the park and with a side trip to a show building (near or on top of Small Worlds Showbuilding) the ride could visit a city of the far off future ..... Center Core

CAPTAIN HOOKS GALLEY/SKULL ROCK PATIO: Could be placed near the motor boat cruise waterway. In addition to Tuna Fish sandwiches maybe they could also offer a nice Grilled Crocodile sandwich in honor of Captain Hook

Would you lower prices on admission and food or would make it more.
    I'd make it the same for everyone.......if a day at the park is worth $65.00, than EVERYONE will pay $65.00 to get in. No more charging some as little as $3.00 and others around a $100.00 for the same experience.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• former CM

I pulled some posts of mine from other threads.

Here's one thing I wrote on 10/21/12 about a new Country Bears-type show at Disneyland:

Country Bears type JAZZ show in New Orleans Square without bears
    If AA advances eventually merit it, and if space could be made for it on the West side of the tracks near (or south of) Disneyland's New Orleans Square train station, a jazz show similar to Country Bears show (No bears. Well, maybe Big Al's cousin.) could perform there. I'd like the charismatic, human CM who starts the show to be a good singer or trumpet player and act as the MC, performing as the audience enters the theatre, and join in one song and in the finale. And maybe give microphones to a couple of audience members at one point after some pre-show auditions, who could join in a song and in the finale. (When the Saints Go Marching In. Or better yet have three versions of this show, 1, 2, & 3, and rotate & display their times.) One not too huge theater because this should ALWAYS have a packed house.

I recommend Ken Burns' mini-series documentary on the history Jazz as a starting point for Imagineers researching this project. Don't let Wynton Marsalis come near this project. He is to jazz what T.S. Eliot was to poetry, minus the humor. Listen to Count Basie while working, and get in some Tito Puente-style latin jazz.

And I'd have a Frontierland Hotel.

I'd like a hotel like Disneyland Paris' Hotel Cheyenne with its own park entrance behind Frontierland. The Hotel Cheyenne is a great place to hang out. It's so spread out that a resort like it could offer Disneyland guests a nice respite from the crowded park. International guests on short visits to America might like to experience more of our western culture, even if it were of the artificial Disney variety.

And maybe there could be a Buffalo Bill-type show, campfires, hay rides, and a small, free exhibit from the Gene Autry museum. Perhaps some of the horses could be kept there to improve the atmosphere. Robert A.M. Stern's group could contribute their usual fantastic designs.

There could also be an exit from the new Frontierland area that would be a shortcut to the Mickey and Friends parking lot. This would thin out the sometimes miserable crush of people exiting the park after the fireworks.

I wouldn't have it be an additional park entrance though--except for people staying at the Frontierland Hotel--because the wonderful trip down Main Street should be the way most guests enter. Frontierland Hotel guests could still have Walt's red carpet entrance experience by passing through a western/Virginia City-like Main Street.

The entrance could be between the Pooh exit and the candy shop where the waterfalls now are--Critter Country has a wilderness theme so the transition wouldn't be too jarring. Or it could be to the left (South) of the giant Pooh/candy store.

Or an entrance could lead through what is now the BBQ/petting zoo area.

When I worked at Disneyland, everyone seemed to like to work on the West side of the park. It was seen as more laid back with its trees and without the (thankfully now gone) Autopia and Submarine fumes. As Disneyland improves it is likely to attract greater crowds, so there will be more need for nature-themed/Western serenity.

We always walk from the Mickey & Friends parking to the parks, and that's a slightly greater distance than this hotel would be to Downtown Disney and DCA. The N/S road (Disneyland Way? Disneyland Drive?)
    --that Mickey & Friends and the Disneyland Hotel are both on--
    is a nice walk, and of course there could be shuttles. Just look at how far apart everything at Walt Disney World is.

An aerial photo of the Disneyland Resort
    (on Google satellite maps!) shows that as the roads are now there isn't room for this.
    But
    there is a lot of barely used space
    to the west of Disneyland Drive
    in-between Mickey & Friends and the Disneyland Hotels.
    Currently it is just used for street-level only parking lots.
    The Disneyland Way road could could swing out much further west to make room for a hotel which could have a park entrance in Critter Country or at the Big Thunder Ranch/Petting zoo area and continue toward the Disneyland Hotel.

I'd replace all but Premium AP passes with passes that let one visit a few times in one year.
    Tomorrowland's entrance would be rock free and the Astro-orbiter would moved backed atop the Peoplemover building. The Peoplemover would return, as would the Carousel of Progress which I'd set. . .
    . . . at Disneyland Hotel/Disneyland The first scene is set in a suite at the Disneyland Hotel the year it opens. Slides and film clips show off the park as it's described.
    In the second year it's 1969. More updates to Disneyland: Tomorrowland from '67, Pirates, the Haunted Mansion, etc.

In the third scene, set in a Grand Californian suite overlooking DCA, it's 2014,

and in the final room it's Disneyland in the future.

At Walt Disney World I'd connect three of the moderate resorts to nearby parks with simple trains. I'd make it the bike heaven of America with bike paths, bridges, and easy drop-off locations all over the resort. I'd restore and update the Carousel of Progress and The Great Movie Ride. I'd alway have two friendly, hardworking sweepers on Main Street to set a tone of cleanliness.

Walt Disney World would have Soarin' Over America in 3D with the other 49 states & DC, Disneyland Paris would have Soarin' Over Europe in 3D, Hong Kong Disneyland would have Soarin' Over China in 3D. Someone suggested that the 3D glasses could be shaped like flight goggles.

Also each Disney park would have 360 Circlevision films that would rotate. One film would be a 3D Circlevision tour of the world.

I'd make John Lasseter my successor and have Thomas Staggs be the CFO in a Roy Disney, Sr./Frank Wells capacity.

I'd pay the CMs better.

Can I time travel? If so, I wouldn't have sold the extraordinary Miramax library.

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.

I would take out Autopia and Innoventions and replace with a big E-Ticket attraction. Eventually, I would re-locate Autopia to Cars Land with electric cars.

I would put back as much of the Mine Train as possible, adding it as an extension of Big Thunder. Build a new Living Desert in the Big Thunder Ranch area, where it used to be, and re-build Cascade Peak, and replace the track along the river. The Big Thunder ride could start with a slow portion through the desert, around Cascade Peak and through Rainbow Caverns and then end with the thrill ride that we have today.

I'll vote for you
    I like those ideas

I'd add more shade over lines and redo the line arrangement for Peter Pan... too much togetherness
    I'd have a cast member walk down the line and help people turn off their flash before they enter dark rides
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 01-28-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: forgot to quote

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    You would never be able to hire enough with that requirement.

I don't think the CMs are bad, but could be better.

I would boost morale too, by hosting an all employee Christmas Party, and Spring and Fall CM parties. This way you give seasonal CMs and more part time CMs a chance at the special events. I would also want to substantially subsidize the cost of employee meals.

I would also change how CMs arrive so they enter the parks in a more direct manner to get to where they work. Simply put they would have to come in from a remote area by bus. The remote area would house HR and Costuming. The buses would circle the park and make multiple drops to let the CMs off at thier stage entrance. CMs would be paid while riding the bus by clocking in at the remote area.

I would also increase pay for expirienced new CMs, having adjustable starting wages. Training would be over a more extended period.

It is surprising how often I find a CM who does not seem to understand customer service.... I thought it was a new "concept" in service, you see it at Target... 3 employees standing together talking, trying to not be bothered by shoppers... I joke about too much team training, they bond to each other more than to customers (or guests). We hadn't been to Disneyland for some many years, it has taken me a while to become used to CMs who are rude or oblivious... the Disneyland cast used to be known for their high level of professionalism. They are still there, but there are increasing numbers of the yeah-whatever crowd.
    I wonder how they managed it in earlier days... or did people have a different attitude about manners (both cast and guests).

• formerly very helpful

Unfortunately, we're getting too used to worker apathy, and we're all too ready to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    It is surprising how often I find a CM who does not seem to understand customer service.... I thought it was a new "concept" in service, you see it at Target... 3 employees standing together talking, trying to not be bothered by shoppers... I joke about too much team training, they bond to each other more than to customers (or guests). We hadn't been to Disneyland for some many years, it has taken me a while to become used to CMs who are rude or oblivious... the Disneyland cast used to be known for their high level of professionalism. They are still there, but there are increasing numbers of the yeah-whatever crowd. I wonder how they managed it in earlier days... or did people have a different attitude about manners (both cast and guests).
    People in general in the past had better manners, and companies tended to treat their employees better. The old saying is true, take care of your employees and they will take care of your customers.

As someone who works in Customer Service out of necessity and not by choice, I can honestly say I suck at it. I am not a people person and any of my co-workers are the same, its just service jobs account for a large portion of the available jobs, and we gotta work so we take what we can get.Then many times the company doesn't care and treat employees well, and make the work environment miserable, and trust me when I say its really difficult to pretend to be happy when your being treating like crud, being paid very low wages, and expected to do far more then one human possibly can.

When I seem annoyed when a customer stops me, its probably because I am, why? Because I am being expected to have certain things done and many times impossible to accomplish in my shift if it includes helping customers, so customer service suffers even more.Then some customers just expect the world, its not 1940 anymore, stores are mostly self serve, and dont understand that not every employee is certified for stock room, and at times nobody in the store might be, so there is physically no way to check if something is in stock back there.

I worked for a large retailer, and during the day, I was the only backroom certified employee, I didn't have time to look for things for customers, simple as that, the company wanted certain things done, and pulling stuff for customers wasn't one of them, the line we were told to say was, if its not on the shelf, we are currently out.I do my best to be basically polite, but like I said, I am not a people person, so customer service is not my strong point and many in customer service are the same.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    I wonder how they managed it in earlier days...
    In the pre-Eisner days, the Disneyland University was famed for its customer service training standards. It was cited by other industries as a world class model of training, that resulted in the world-famous customer service standards of Disneyland employees.

Eisner's management team slashed the Disneyland University training program and employee pay to pathetic shadows of their former selves, and it has remained so since.

As was posted last year by a CM trainer:

...people still seem to think that CM's are actually trained on how to be "nice" to people, or given basic expectations of politeness, or taught tactics and nuances of providing good customer service. No such training exists in any meaningful way.

(There is a four hour class for new hires on how to pick up heavy boxes or push large objects around, however. It's called Safety In Motion and it is mandatory, with mandatory annual refresher courses assigned to every Resort CM. No such course in Courtesy exists, and so there would be no such annual refresher course since the initial course isn't there to begin with.)

The training materials and techniques belched out by the bloated and pathetic "Disney University" training department in 2012 are worthless, and do absolutely nothing to set forth any sort of customer service standard CM's should live up to, let alone actually teach 18 year old Joe from Monrovia, CA how to handle any specific customer service situation.

The first day of Traditions, and the second day of Welcome To Park Operations touches briefly on customer service. But it does so in such a bland, corporate-speak, TDA-cubicle created way that it is practically meaningless. And God forbid you actually lay out the concept of actual standards that someone would live up to! That is too advanced for TDA's Disney University group, and they are busy sitting in TDA far removed from the actual operation of the park to even consider such a silly thing.

I find it humorous that people are confronted by poor customer service and then expect that there is still some sort of training program that would have prevented it had the CM in question only been paying attention. There is no such training. The times you receive good customer service by a front line host or hostess is due more in part to the upbringing that CM received from their parents, and/or perhaps a particularly good Lead who is supervising that location and leading great performances.

But nothing the Disney University has done in the last 10 years will have had any impact on the good customer service you receive in the parks. The times you get bad customer service is more the fault of Disney University, but only because they don't really do anything to try and correct it from the starting point of OJT [On the Job Training].
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    - Build a 10,000 car expansion to Mickey & Friends which includes a covered parking level for CMs.

- Dig up the old Westcot plans, re-hire its development team, and build it on the Toy Story & Cast Member's Lot.

- Build a surf themed water park on the Pumbaa lot.

- Pick up the following sponsors:

Qualcomm
    : To expand the existing network infrastructure in the parks to include things like high speed wi-fi, real-time crowd activity monitoring (guests can find out where heavy people-traffic is in the parks and avoid it), and RFID interaction with all sorts of park elements. To name a few at least.
    Google: To re-vamp the Disney Parks Mobile Magic app. To help produce a new technology-retrospective & future concepts themed animatronics show in the spirit of the Carousel of Progress to take place in the "old" innoventions building.
    Time Life: To help (using historical imagery) in the creation of a dark ride that covers the entire history of Disneyland and will utilize elaborate sets as well as anamatronics to transport guests back to opening day 1955. Other significant events will be covered as well like the great Disneyland flood, opening day of Star Tours, etc.
    Bose: To revamp the audio systems throughout the parks (3D audio anyone?).
    Round Table Pizza: Because anything is better than the sadness pies that are being sold in the park now.
    Tesla: To refresh the Autopia.

- Refurb the Peoplemover track and build a Wall-E themed attraction.

- Update Main Street cinema so that you can choose (with a smartphone/tablet app or via a kiosk in the theater) what shows up on the screen. Will specifically only have classic Disney shorts to choose from.

- In the hub, make the planters that have big trees in them descend underground temporarily so that more people can have a clear view of the castle during the fireworks.

- Re-evaluate the food quality at Cochina Cucamonga & Lucky Fortune Cookery and offer the guests something a little more authentic tasting.

- Replace Heimlich's Chew Chew train with something that doesn't put guests to sleep.

- Have a reproduction of the ABC show "The Taste" for guests come to DCA during the food & wine festival.

- Have a reproduction of "Shark Tank" come to D23 where guests have to convince a panel of Disney's legendary imagineers to invest in their attraction or new park ideas.
    OK you're hired, what's next?

Keep: Star Tours, Space Mountain, Subs, Monorail and Autopia. I want a cohesive theme and complete remodel of everything else, ie no Innoventions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast