Thread: Camera Day

Camera Day

I resently bought a new DSLR camera with the hope of being able to take it to disneyland. I have learned to use the camera and am hopeing to take it to the parks soon. My question is what are some do's and dont's for trips to the parks with a camera? Are rides still option to do with the camera, and what shows are good for pictures?
    Thanks guys!

• SORCERER

Re: Camera Day

Quote Originally Posted by Natenob View Post
    I resently bought a new DSLR camera with the hope of being able to take it to disneyland. I have learned to use the camera and am hopeing to take it to the parks soon. My question is what are some do's and dont's for trips to the parks with a camera? Are rides still option to do with the camera, and what shows are good for pictures?
    Thanks guys!
    Try not to bring a full 3 legged tripod, as they are not technically aloud in the park. I believe monopods are ok. I bring my DSLR on all the rides, but sometimes im having so much fun that I forget about the camera and never end up taking any pics, one of these days I am going to goto the park just for pictures.

• The doctor is in

As long as you protect your camera from the occasional dings and bumps you should be fine. If you take pictures inside the rides just be sure to turn the flash off beforehand.

Invest in a strap if you don't have one, too.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Try not to bring a full 3 legged tripod, as they are not technically aloud in the park.
    I believe as long as the tripods fit in a backpack it should be fine. I used to bring a tripod to the parks and had no trouble bringing it in.

KiMcHeEfOrLiFe is right; BradleyC is wrong. Tripods are allowed as long as they fit in a backpack.

• The doctor is in

I have seen several guests walking around with tripods so they obviously are allowed into the park. I also don't think the near professional quality videos posted on YouTube of World of Color and Fantasmic are shot without tripods.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

I take pictures on all the rides- some of them are a fun challenge. For dark rides, you'll want the "fastest" lens you can get- the widest aperture/lowest f-stop number. Make sure you can hide it under a jacket or something on the rides that splash.

The tripod I have is a gorilla-pod; it's flexible, so you can wrap the legs around just about anything. I've put it on lamp posts, fences, or stood it up on trashcans, depending on what's available. They're great.

Read hotsauce's thread on daily pictures- he has a zillion really good tips in it.

Take a lot of shots, even of the same thing, with different variations: change your shutter speed and aperture, take a step to the left or the right to change your perspective, use a fill-flash (if you're not on a ride or someplace where flash is disruptive), things like that. Pick the one or two best shots, and delete the rest.

Have fun with your new camera!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Elk Grove Chris

If you are going to take shots on rides, two words: lens cover.

I would suggest a lens cover even if you don't plan on taking shots on rides, keeps direct glare off of the lens and just a pretty cheap way to give your lens a little extra protection.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Natenob View Post
    Thanks guys!
    What camera in particular did you get?

I would suggest a fast prime lens (fixed focal length) for dark rides. By fast I mean lens with a maximum aperture of at least 2.8. Preferably F/1.8. This will let in more light and all you to use a fast shutter to freeze motion.

For tripods, you might want to consider getting a Gorrila Pod. They're a small tripod with flexible legs to wrap around things. Tamrac makes a tripod called the Zip Shot tripod. If you don't have large lens on it, it should work ok. But they're not really meant for SLRs. But they DO work if needed. They excel in portability.

Spare battery(s); microfiber cleaning cloth; UV filter (mainly for protecting the front lens element; Circular Polarizer (for reducing glare); a speedlight (for more flash power) and batteries for it...that's more in depth list that you don't 'need.' Used to work at a camera store and am into photography myself. So that's probably a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    If you are going to take shots on rides, two words: lens cover.

I would suggest a lens cover even if you don't plan on taking shots on rides, keeps direct glare off of the lens and just a pretty cheap way to give your lens a little extra protection.
    I think you mean lens hood.

Two types of lens hood are made. A generic soft rubber hood that goes over the front of the lens. Not much for protection though. You'll want to get a hard plastic lens hood. Either OEM or knock off.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I have a 1.7 50mm prime lens and I've never been able to get more than murk even at really high ISOs. What other settings am I missing?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    I have a 1.7 50mm prime lens and I've never been able to get more than murk even at really high ISOs. What other settings am I missing?
    Well, there's not really an exact formula to use (I mean, I guess there is but technology has made it way easier to get your exposure right). One thing I noticed with using my 50mm f/1.8 that focusing is really tricky if you're using a REALLY shallow depth of field. Make sure that whatever subject you're taking a picture of is in focus because everything else in the frame will be super blurry. It takes some practice but you'll get used to it.

• Not on the Jedi Council

Okay, I will try next time I go. Thanks!