Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    This is a prime example of how parents can use situations like this as a teaching tool for life.

    Crying and disapointment? That is totally understandable, he's 6. However, it is then you should explain to him that:
    a) not everyone was going to get picked (there are circles on the floor in front of the stage to mark how many children will be picked and its obvious that there are less circles than kids raising their hands)
    b) suggest (as someone here did) that there is another show at another time, try again
    c) and maybe as last resort, distract with another attraction/character/or whatever kid likes.

    I totally understand your own disappointment for your child. You don't want to see him crying, of course! As far as him not thinking he has "the force" you could have said something like every child has "the force" just not all can be chosen for that particular training...then say you will go to the next show time.

    And before you say to me "you obviously don't have children" I actually do. I have a boy, 9 and oh wow..guess what? This exact scenario happened to me as well when he was around 6. However, I did the things I suggested above and all was well. Actually, I made sure to stick around to get a photo with Storm Troopers that come out for photo ops. This cheered him up immensly (my kid loves Star Wars to).
    Outstanding post! Very well said.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    What's the difference between not being chosen for being in the show and not being chosen to at least be in the selection area? I think I'd be pretty miffed if I wasn't even given the chance. Or if I was denied the opportunity to be chosen because a kid who lives locally and can be there any time stood in line before I did.

    This may not be the right show for you and your son. Might I suggest Star Tours 2 so he can get his fill of Star Wars (warning: only one person is chosen to be a rebel spy)? Or maybe he'll enjoy a Meet and Greet of a princess or other character because everyone is treated the same there. If you want a show, try the new offerings at DCA.

  3. #18

    • No Disassemble!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    793

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    I too echo the sentiment that unfortunately they can't take all the kids that want to participate but they do offer shows throughout the day and one particular show that takes place at 4:35pm while the parade is going on.

    The only thing that I have an issue with is that there's no reward for showing up early and kids that arrived at the last minute may be chosen over those who have been waiting 15 minutes or more. It's the equivalent of me sitting it out in front of the castle for half an hour only to have, just as the show starts, someone wedge their way into what little space is between me and the next person.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

  4. #19

    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,191

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    This is a tough one. I do remember these sorts of scenarios as a child and not being picked for this sort of thing can be very upsetting.

    It's easy for us as adults posting here to say "try again", or "that's just life", but young children are simply not always rational enough to understand this.

    From that perspective, a reservation system might be more guest friendly, but even that will have issues. A child may stull be in tears because tickets to the show will sell out fast.

    Criticisms of the selection process are valid, but for now, the show is run the way it is. The parent in this example bears responsibility.

    If your child is going to be in tears over not being selected, it might be best not to bring them to this show. Alternatively, the parent should have a discussion and explain to their child that they may not be selected, in which case they can still watch the show or try again later. If they lack the emotional maturity to handle the potential rejection, the show may not be for them.

    Complaining about the show's format is fine, but don't complain that your child wasn't selected after the fact, when you knew beforehand that is exactly what could happen.

  5. #20

    • Hooterville, USA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Haney House
    Posts
    10,162

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    This is a prime example of how parents can use situations like this as a teaching tool for life.
    Good and sage advice.


    This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

  6. #21

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,579

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    I don't mean to be disrespectful with this comment and I'm not trying to offend, but it isn't Disneyland's responsibility to teach and do what parents should be doing. If a child freaks out because they weren't picked to do something like the Jedi Academy or ask Crush a question during Turtle Talk, that isn't Disney's fault they freaked out and cried all day. That is because the parents didn't explain that not everyone can do everything all the time.

    The mentality of everyone being a winner and getting a trophy or playing sports with no score so kids don't get their feeling hurt is more damaging than being picked last for dodgeball, imo.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.












  7. #22

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuuster View Post
    I understand it completely, you paid for something you love, but didn't get your money's worth. However finding the problem in the cast members and a show with a capacity isn't very adult. As a parent you should understand that life has its way of messing with us, regardless of it being Disney or not. I had to face this issue myself when my little cousins didn't get picked, but they weren't excluded or rejected, they just simply didn't get picked. You're playing Disney off as a mad genius who designed this show just to ruin children's dreams, and that isn't the case.
    I understand that. A six year old doesn't. Many things that seem trivial to adults are of immense import to children. And I didn't find fault in the CM's, they were great. The fault is with the show's production and presentation which is out of their hands.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  8. #23

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    What's the difference between not being chosen for being in the show and not being chosen to at least be in the selection area? I think I'd be pretty miffed if I wasn't even given the chance. Or if I was denied the opportunity to be chosen because a kid who lives locally and can be there any time stood in line before I did.

    This may not be the right show for you and your son. Might I suggest Star Tours 2 so he can get his fill of Star Wars (warning: only one person is chosen to be a rebel spy)? Or maybe he'll enjoy a Meet and Greet of a princess or other character because everyone is treated the same there. If you want a show, try the new offerings at DCA.
    The difference is in the mind of a child. Children of a certain age understand capacity to a degree. They do not understand not being chosen because of the "Force."
    Last edited by BigThunder; 01-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  9. #24

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I
    The mentality of everyone being a winner and getting a trophy or playing sports with no score so kids don't get their feeling hurt is more damaging than being picked last for dodgeball, imo.
    Again, this is not school. This is not trying out for Little League. This is entertainment and fantasy. Very expensive fantasy. I don't pay Disney to teach my kids hard life lessons about rejection. Do you?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  10. #25

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    This is a prime example of how parents can use situations like this as a teaching tool for life.

    Crying and disapointment? That is totally understandable, he's 6. However, it is then you should explain to him that:
    a) not everyone was going to get picked (there are circles on the floor in front of the stage to mark how many children will be picked and its obvious that there are less circles than kids raising their hands)
    b) suggest (as someone here did) that there is another show at another time, try again
    c) and maybe as last resort, distract with another attraction/character/or whatever kid likes.

    I totally understand your own disappointment for your child. You don't want to see him crying, of course! As far as him not thinking he has "the force" you could have said something like every child has "the force" just not all can be chosen for that particular training...then say you will go to the next show time.

    And before you say to me "you obviously don't have children" I actually do. I have a boy, 9 and oh wow..guess what? This exact scenario happened to me as well when he was around 6. However, I did the things I suggested above and all was well. Actually, I made sure to stick around to get a photo with Storm Troopers that come out for photo ops. This cheered him up immensly (my kid loves Star Wars to).
    I don't pay Disney hundreds of dollars for these kinds of lessons. Life is full of them. For free. I pay Disney for lighthearted family entertainment. Thanks for the parenting advice though.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  11. #26

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    104

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    With all due respect with my opinion in this, and Im saying this because it is how I feel about Big Thunders post, and I AM sorry to be so crude and hard on you pal but...

    I think your post makes you look even younger than your child, I understand being let down after not being chosen for a show, but to come on here and whine about the situation? Bro, it's a show... They have 5 performances during the entire day, if you truly had a problem with it, you would have kept going back to enhance the chances of your son being chosen. I really have a issue with people who walk around and say "I didn't get what I want" thousands of people go to disneyland a day not getting what they want, its life, thats the way things happen. I hope next time you go to the park with your child that he is chosen to partake in the show. Disney didn't ruin any fun or magic though, thats just the way the cookie crumbled

  12. #27

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,602

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    I don't pay Disney hundreds of dollars for these kinds of lessons. Life is full of them. For free. I pay Disney for lighthearted family entertainment. Thanks for the parenting advice though.
    No maybe not but it is your responsbility, as the parent, to teach your children that life sometimes isn't fairies and pixie dust and that it is not a company's responsibility to make it such.

    And as I suggested in my previous post, there are WAY more other distractions that could have diluted the drama of not being picked for Jedi Academy.

    Kids at that age have the attention span of a fly. I'm sure he was or could have been distracted soon after this disappointment. At least, this is what I have learned being the parent of a boy.

  13. #28

    • U. B. Bold
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Second Star to the Right
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    This is a tough one. I do remember these sorts of scenarios as a child and not being picked for this sort of thing can be very upsetting.

    It's easy for us as adults posting here to say "try again", or "that's just life", but young children are simply not always rational enough to understand this.

    From that perspective, a reservation system might be more guest friendly, but even that will have issues. A child may stull be in tears because tickets to the show will sell out fast.

    Criticisms of the selection process are valid, but for now, the show is run the way it is. The parent in this example bears responsibility.

    If your child is going to be in tears over not being selected, it might be best not to bring them to this show. Alternatively, the parent should have a discussion and explain to their child that they may not be selected, in which case they can still watch the show or try again later. If they lack the emotional maturity to handle the potential rejection, the show may not be for them.

    Complaining about the show's format is fine, but don't complain that your child wasn't selected after the fact, when you knew beforehand that is exactly what could happen.
    Perhaps we should have done more research. Studied harder the ins-and-outs of all of Disney's many entertainment offerings. Maybe we could have found the time to read all of the fine print somewhere in the reams of materials we received from Disney travel, the Parks and the hotel. Maybe, but I doubt it. As it was, no, we did not realize that some kids would be excluded from the show. If we had, we might not have chosen to do it. I'm sure the information was out there somewhere, but we were on vacation, not a study retreat. We go to the park about once every two years with limited time and a limited budget. It honestly never occurred to us that Disney would do something so cruel as to exclude young children from a Jedi show after they had waited 45 minutes for it. Guess we're just bad parents eh?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad


    Dream big. Do what you love.

  14. #29

    • The doctor is in
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    1,014 miles away
    Posts
    2,579

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Again, this is not school. This is not trying out for Little League. This is entertainment and fantasy. Very expensive fantasy. I don't pay Disney to teach my kids hard life lessons about rejection. Do you?
    I understand that it is part of life and that the risk of not being chosen for a show is a possibility. Even at Disneyland. If you want a fantasy experience where you and your kid gets everything he wants then save up and pay for a Plaid.

    And just a random question... did you go to City Hall and get him a birthday pin? That would have exceedingly increased his chances of being picked. Just saying.



    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    With all due respect with my opinion in this, and Im saying this because it is how I feel about Big Thunders post, and I AM sorry to be so crude and hard on you pal but...

    I think your post makes you look even younger than your child, I understand being let down after not being chosen for a show, but to come on here and whine about the situation? Bro, it's a show... They have 5 performances during the entire day, if you truly had a problem with it, you would have kept going back to enhance the chances of your son being chosen. I really have a issue with people who walk around and say "I didn't get what I want" thousands of people go to disneyland a day not getting what they want, its life, thats the way things happen. I hope next time you go to the park with your child that he is chosen to partake in the show. Disney didn't ruin any fun or magic though, thats just the way the cookie crumbled
    Best reply yet.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.












  15. #30

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,211

    Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

    BigThunder, my wife and I are Blackhawk and Apache helicopter parents, so I can relate to your frustration. I can't offer any honest encouragement on changing how Disney picks kids for the Jedi training, but I can tell you how we improved our odds of being among the chosen.

    I believe we've attended this five times and my daughter has been picked four out of five times, and the other time our next-door neighbor who came with us was picked, as we had planned.

    Here's what worked for us. We got there early to snag a front seat close to the center for one of the earlier, less crowded shows, and on a plain manilla filing folder I had written a sign for my daughter to hold up: "I wanna be a Jedi, not a princess!" The sign worked for us EVERY TIME. (Plus my daughter is enthusiastic and adorable.)

    Of course, if every kid had a sign it wouldn't work, but not everybody does. Only Micechatters get the cheese every time. It's an unfair world; help your kid to grab his share. May the force be with you, your son . . . and with J.J. Abrams who was (unfarily?) chosen to direct the next Star Wars movie.

    (This message is in no way an endorsement of MyMagic+.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-25-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Example of bad show in the Jedi Training Academy
    By DisneyIPresume in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 01:17 PM
  2. Observations from My First Experience with the Jedi Training Academy
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 06:41 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 09:32 PM
  4. The Jedi Training Academy is cool and all but...
    By aimster in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 12:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •