Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

Thumbs down No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

Okay, say you've got a child and it's his 6th birthday. And, say this child loves absolutely everything about Star Wars. And you take this child to Disneyland for his birthday where everyone has a wonderful time, that is, until you head over to Tomorrowland for the Jedi Training Academy. It's a cute show where some performers "train" young kids to be Jedi Knights. What great fun when they pretend to use the Force and choose your child! But... what about the kids who are not chosen? The problem is that there is only so much room in each show so some of the kids will be left out. What if it's your kid? My young man followed all of the rules, stood behind the blue line, jumped up and down, raised his hands, shouted and... was not chosen. He was devastated. He cried for an hour. He thought he didn't have the Force. And he wasn't the only child left crying. Nice job Disney! Way to make it magical! While you're telling the Kindergarteners that they don't have the Force, why not mention that there's no Santa Clause too? And that fairies are a myth? And that Mickey is just a sweaty guy in a suit? Suffice to say, as a parent, I was beyond pissed.

Now, before anyone chimes in with, "But all the kids can't be chosen," or "Disappointment and rejection is part of life, get used to it," let me just make a couple of points. First, they don't have to do it this way. It would be very easy for the warm up CM's to inform the parents that they only allow x-number of kids in each show and then only allow that many in to the selection area. Easier for the parents and much less traumatic for the kids to be told that there's not enough room instead of "the Force is not strong enough in you." Second, I don't pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars to have Disney employees make my children cry and teach them hard life lessons about rejection and exclusion. They'll get enough of that in the real world. That's not what we pay Disney for.

The plain fact is, this is a horrible thing to do to young kids. Either the people who designed this show know next to nothing about children or they just don't care. Anyone who works with young children will tell you that when planning any activity, every child must be included. They really need to change the way they do this show or scrap it all together in favor of something more inclusive. And yes, I raised all of these concerns at City Hall to a very helpful and sympathetic Cast Member, but I would like to hear the thoughts of the MC community and especially the other parents out there. Thanks for reading my little rant.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• The doctor is in

Re: No Magic for You! Big Problem With The Jedi Training Academy

I know you said not to chime in with this but I'll bite because it is the truth... not all kids can be chosen for everything. Understandable that your kid was upset but that is just reality. Sorry.
    That would be like yelling at a teacher because they didn't pick your child to give the answer out of the 10 kids who raised their hands. Or getting mad at Star Tours because your kid wasn't picked to be the spy at the beginning of the ride.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

they do it more than once a day. try again

• Senior Minion

I think that in any competitive situation involving their children, it's up to the individual parents to understand -- and to communicate to their children -- that there can only be one winner.

I don't think it is the responsibility of kids' talent contestant judges, kids' sporting events referees or Jedi Training Academy CMs to warn parents that only one kid can win. Instead, it is the responsibility of the individual parents to educate themselves about the event, either by asking a CM or by watching a show to see how it is run, before allowing their child to participate. Same parental responsibility that should be exercised with movies and TV shows.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gtsouthard View Post
    they do it more than once a day. try again
    Well said.

• Back in Black

So you're saying that you much prefer that your son or someone else's should not even be allowed into the selection area when they reach a certain capacity? That seems even less fair... And I'm fairly certain the CMs didn't stand up on the stage and actually tell your son he didn't have the force. I get that he was upset, and I get that that makes you upset, but come on... This is the Disneyland equivalent of giving everyone a trophy.
    -The MiceChatter formerly known as indyjn511

---That goat has dynamite!---

• Minion

What exactly do you propose they do? They can't limit the amount of children admitted in because that would hurt capacity and rob kids of seeing the show, let alone being chosen. I'm a sucker for kids and I absolutely hateeee seeing kids cry at Disneyland, but I don't think there's really a solution to this 'problem'.

(On a side note, my daughter really wanted to get chosen by Crush in Turtle Talk but didn't get picked until about our sixth show lol. No tears, no disappointment, she just knew what she wanted to do that day and that was to talk to Crush. And after spending quite a while trying, she eventually talked to him but realized that even if she didn't get picked, it wasn't the end of the world because there was more to do at the park).

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow. You guys are cold.

Anyhow, here is my take in this - There once was a day that Disneyland's shows never involved audience participation. And how do I miss those days! I was always shy as a child and never wanted to participate. I was always happy to go to Disneyland because they would never put me in the spotlight - as compared to Universal where I was constantly afraid of being picked to do the special effects presentation. (Inn the area where Transformers is now).

Now DL does nothing but audience participation it seems. At least most of the time. Even the new GHR had an audience participation bit. IMO that's a cop-out due to lack of talent and relies on the guests to provide the entertainment. And personally if I wanted to perform in a show I would try out for a role.

Now with that off my chest I would think in the OP's case that Disney should either make create a queue for this (first come first serve) or establish a reservation system. But that takes too much money to administer - so I don't see anything but the current system continuing.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 01-25-2013 at 10:00 AM.

• U. B. Bold

Actually, they make a rather big show of "using the Force" to select the kids. And, yes it is definitely Disney's responsibility to inform the parents that not all kids will be chosen. They don't. There are no signs. The warm up CM's don't say it. It is not on the brochure. I looked. This is not school or a trying out for a sports team, this is bought and paid for ENTERTAINMENT. And if you're saying "Tough, that's life," then you don't have kids. Oh, or we should "try again?" And risk the crying and disappointment a second or even third time? Again, you obviously don't have kids.

• ooooooOO!

I know what you mean BigThunder. When I took my younger cousins to the show they too were ignored. but in cases such as these, it's up to the guardian to save the day. Why not come back for another show and explain your purpose to a CM?

IMHO you are over analyzing the entire issue, no one is trying to teach your children negative lessons, or say they are unworthy. Disney CMs are taught to follow protocol and achieve guest satisfaction. If their job limited them to a certain amount of children for each show, it is not their fault that they didn't choose your child. You wouldn't make this an issue if your child was chosen and someone else's wasn't.

I mean this in utmost respect, as having a loving parent such as you is a blessing for any child. With Disney's goal to make every guest's trip a magical one, there definitely is an issue here and it is good that you approached Town Hall. Perhaps the people who designed this did not consider enough variables, but being Disney doesn't exempt them from the natural challenges that arise in life.
    .:: ::.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I actually agree with you, Big Thunder. Several times we've shown up early to get a good spot to wait in and sat through all the first part of the show and our kids jumped up and down and got completely passed over and it was a big disappointment to both them and to us. Not only did they not get picked but we put probably 45 min. into it and we are from out of state and have limited time/visits. It put a damper on things. We've given up on the show.

• U. B. Bold

Yes, actually, I would make it an issue if my child was chosen and another's wasn't. As I said in the OP, there were several children left crying, not just mine. Let that sink in for a minute folks, before some of you choose to flame me some more. Children. Crying. At Disneyland. Why? Because they were excluded. It's not over analyzing to put one's self into the mind of a 5 or 6 year old. All they know is that their heroes, the Jedi did not choose them to play. That's rejection folks. And rejection is not what I pay Disney for. Sorry if some of you can't understand that.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I actually agree with you, Big Thunder. Several times we've shown up early to get a good spot to wait in and sat through all the first part of the show and our kids jumped up and down and got completely passed over and it was a big disappointment to both them and to us. Not only did they not get picked but we put probably 45 min. into it and we are from out of state and have limited time/visits. It put a damper on things. We've given up on the show.
    Thank you.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

This is a prime example of how parents can use situations like this as a teaching tool for life.

Crying and disapointment? That is totally understandable, he's 6. However, it is then you should explain to him that:
    a) not everyone was going to get picked (there are circles on the floor in front of the stage to mark how many children will be picked and its obvious that there are less circles than kids raising their hands)
    b) suggest (as someone here did) that there is another show at another time, try again
    c) and maybe as last resort, distract with another attraction/character/or whatever kid likes.

I totally understand your own disappointment for your child. You don't want to see him crying, of course! As far as him not thinking he has "the force" you could have said something like every child has "the force" just not all can be chosen for that particular training...then say you will go to the next show time.

And before you say to me "you obviously don't have children" I actually do. I have a boy, 9 and oh wow..guess what? This exact scenario happened to me as well when he was around 6. However, I did the things I suggested above and all was well. Actually, I made sure to stick around to get a photo with Storm Troopers that come out for photo ops. This cheered him up immensly (my kid loves Star Wars to).

• ooooooOO!

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Yes, actually, I would make it an issue if my child was chosen and another's wasn't. As I said in the OP, there were several children left crying, not just mine. Let that sink in for a minute folks, before some of you choose to flame me some more. Children. Crying. At Disneyland. Why? Because they were excluded. It's not over analyzing to put one's self into the mind of a 5 or 6 year old. All they know is that their heroes, the Jedi did not choose them to play. That's rejection folks. And rejection is not what I pay Disney for. Sorry if some of you can't understand that.
    I understand it completely, you paid for something you love, but didn't get your money's worth. However finding the problem in the cast members and a show with a capacity isn't very adult. As a parent you should understand that life has its way of messing with us, regardless of it being Disney or not. I had to face this issue myself when my little cousins didn't get picked, but they weren't excluded or rejected, they just simply didn't get picked. You're playing Disney off as a mad genius who designed this show just to ruin children's dreams, and that isn't the case.
    .:: ::.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast