Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disney Obsessed

Re: How do your friends/co-workers/family view your interest in Disneyland and Disney

My Husband likes it because I like it (and it has slowly grown on him too! Though not to my extent lol) And my Best Friend and I am in love with it! She's the only person I know who gets my obsession. She stalks the boards here on occasion.. and has admitted that I am a bit more obsessed than she is...

But my co-workers think it's either funny that I go so much and say "oh chrissy!" whenever I talk about it... or tell me to go on a grown up trip. I just smile and say I am! I really don't let it bother me one bit.

I usually try help a person who is judging my passion and love for disney and disneyland understand it by asking them what they love and enjoy doing.... and if they have a bad day.. what's their "happy place" (though working in retail the answer is usually the bar lol) and then explain thats what disneyland is for me. If they say it's not the same, I say, it is. It is what makes me happy. And anyone who doesn't have something like this that makes them happy, is living a sad life.

And really, even if I'm insulted, or made fun of, I just smile, and feel sad for them. Because they are too "grown up" to enjoy being a kid again. And that is not a good way to go through life.

Re: How do your friends/co-workers/family view your interest in Disneyland and Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CSei2011 View Post
    My Husband likes it because I like it (and it has slowly grown on him too! Though not to my extent lol) And my Best Friend and I am in love with it! She's the only person I know who gets my obsession. She stalks the boards here on occasion.. and has admitted that I am a bit more obsessed than she is...

But my co-workers think it's either funny that I go so much and say "oh chrissy!" whenever I talk about it... or tell me to go on a grown up trip. I just smile and say I am! I really don't let it bother me one bit.

I usually try help a person who is judging my passion and love for disney and disneyland understand it by asking them what they love and enjoy doing.... and if they have a bad day.. what's their "happy place" (though working in retail the answer is usually the bar lol) and then explain thats what disneyland is for me. If they say it's not the same, I say, it is. It is what makes me happy. And anyone who doesn't have something like this that makes them happy, is living a sad life.

And really, even if I'm insulted, or made fun of, I just smile, and feel sad for them. Because they are too "grown up" to enjoy being a kid again. And that is not a good way to go through life.
    I think that the people who insult/make fun of us are upset because they cant afford our bad habit,lol.

most people that know me well know I'm kind of obsessed with Disneyland, but outside of my immediate family, I know not to bore them with Disneyland talk

• Disneyland 19 year APH

My dad is an ex-CM but his work is taking him from using his AP. I think he tries to hold on my every word when I talk to him about the parks. He is a very busy and he just not enough energy to spread around. My family loves going to the parks when ever they can. Me I don't think I can stop thinking about it.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

My entire family is obsessed, and my close friends get it, but I am tired of weird reactions from strangers, so I will just say I'm going to California or Florida and not specify Taking kids to WDW is quite expensive, but for a pair of adults, a trip to Disney is a pretty cheap vacation! On par with a trip to Vegas or NYC, if not cheaper. Those are the comparisons I make to people who wonder about the cost. (Not that I have to explain...don't people know that it is rude to talk about money?).

Also, I don't really enjoy drinking alcohol, or fancy coffee, or getting manicures or coloring my hair. If you were to add up all the $$ that a typical person spends yearly at bars, Starbucks, and salons, I bet it would pay for 1 or 2 Disney trips!

• Disneyland PAP

How do folks view my Disneyland interest? For those who don't have APs, with envy.

My family lives in Santa Barbara County and wishes they could go to Disneyland as many times as I go. Locally, I'm very lucky to have a big group of friends (we all range in age from 25 to 50+) who still have APs and enjoy all going together or going in smaller groups to the parks. I don't meet many new people much, so the times I meet folks who don't understand my Disney passion (which I don't hide, don't necessarily advertise, but others may bring it up) are far and few between. But whenever it does happen, I don't make a big deal about it or worse, get crazy defending it.

• Selfie Expert

A lot of my coworkers thought I was weird, but I've noticed they've recently been taking trips to Disneyland and ask me a ton of questions before they go. I actually ended up taking three of my coworkers on a trip last month and for them it was either first time or first time in well over 10 years. They went because I talked them into it, and now they're all Disneyland fanatics. In fact, I'm at work right now and my tech and I are listening to music from the park talking about our memories from our trip!

I've converted my husband. He's slowly becoming a freak about it it. It's fantastic!

My parents think I'm weird, but they've been talking about going on a trip, too.

Needless to say, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I'm proud of my passion, and have found that it tends to rub off on others!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Selfie Expert

To add on to mine:

Most of my coworkers embrace my Disneyland obsession. For my birthday last year they decorated my car in Mickey confetti and drew Mickey heads on the windows, and every birthday or Christmas gift I got from them was Disney related.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Nor Cal AP'er

My family understands why I go some (since they're responsible in the first place for me going) I have some co-workers that give me crap for going so much (mainly they've never gone or cant afford to go or as much as I do) a good portion of my friends are Disney-freaks like myself.

Some friends come to me when it comes to questions/tips about the parks when they are planning a trip as well. Everytime I put in a vacation request or want to switch days with someone the first question they ask "Are you going back to Disneyland again?" lol!

I probably post "too much" about Disney on my FB page by some peeps definition ,some even "limit" my post/tweets/check-ins feeds when I am in the parks! lol!

I haven't always been into Disney,there was a time I didn't go almost 10 years.I've gone more in the past 4 years than my whole life so I am enjoying the opportunities in going no that I am financially stable and have the time.

Disneyland is not for everyone,but it was made for everyone. Whoever doesn't understand or makes fun of our passion fall behind the wayside of the happiness of one mans dream turned reality. His dreams are mine as well.
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Nor Cal AP'er

Quote Originally Posted by DLRFoodie911 View Post
    I think that the people who insult/make fun of us are upset because they cant afford our bad habit,lol.
    This!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Interesting to hear that many of you have your immediate family in the same mindset as you.

I grew up near the park but never enjoyed it until I had kids. Now I spend a good part of the year waiting to get back. Micechat and other sites help take the sting away of not being able to go often. Darn right I am jealous of you AP's.

My wife got the bug the same time I did but it only lasted a few months until we took our son back to the park and he was scared of any ride that was even partly dark. Since then she tolerates me but I have learned not to talk too much about anything Mouse related around her.

My kids are still a bit too young to fully grasp what the park is, especially my three year old. He is in the same stage now of being afraid of the dark rides where my oldest was. I will tell them the cool new things that are happening at the park but keep it more vacation oriented around them.

My co-workers are pretty good about putting up with me and are usually asking questions before they depart for their trips. They all have their own vices too. They tend to know that I can hear the word "Disneyland" from across the floor and be right in the conversations.

Outside friends look at me like I have a third eye ball when I tell them what the park means to me. As a result tend to keep it more on the down low around them. It is ironic that I am the one viewed strangely for having a high level of interest in a special place when their interests can take them back to the same places that have the same meaning to them

Even a bunch of my scale modeling friends don't get my interest in Disneyland. However after reading what others have posted, they should be most understanding as we are use to getting funny looks for have a atypical interest. Funny I guess.

Fortunately there is a fun group here who can relate

Looks like I will still go with the motto of "know your audience " before talking too much or let them broach the subject first

My family is fine with it. Mom and I mainly go when we can. My husband isn't into DL, so I go to LV with him. My co-workers are into to Disney as well. It's nice to have that. I also just found out the other day how into DL my new principal at work is. Spring break here we come.

• Banned User

There is a point where interest becomes a fixation. As obsessions go being a "Disney fanatic" is pretty harmless. But it can be limiting. Real life can be so disappointing for some people. It's all make believe, but for a small percentage of people it seems to warp their worldview, or at least it reinforces their already "interesting" view of how the world should work.

• Chief Troublemaker

My husband understands having a passion for something because he has his own passion (hang gliding). He just doesn't understand why I would have a passion for Disney (for kids, you know?).

My 20-something yr old sons secretly love Disney too, they're just to 'hip' to admit it. I know this is true because they always want me to bring them something back and always complain 'why aren't they going, too?'. I've gently explained that parent-financed trips will recommence when they provide us with grandchildren, until then they can pay for themselves! LOL.

My friends are a mixed bag of people who are crazy for Disney themselves, people who just think 'whatever' & have no interest, and some who regard it with slightly raised-eyebrows & a wee sense of superiority.

Luckily there is no one in my life who is actively 'snotty' or demeaning about it. But, then again, if they were, they wouldn't be in my life for long!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

yes
    Last edited by MactheMan; 01-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast