Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

How do your friends/co-workers/family view your interest in Disneyland and Disney?

Just a general question on what the other people in your life think of your interest in Disneyland and Disney in general.

Do you share with them that you are really into the parks and entertainment? Do they think you are a whack job for having a healthy, high level of interest? Do you tell anyone(outside of micechat)?

I am usually met with some sort of "look" when I tell people that I am a big Disney guy. Of course that all changes when they have a question about the parks and I am the first person they ask.

Maybe it is my skepticism from sharing what my interests are as a result of my hobby, scale modeling, but I guess I am used to it.

Curious what your reaction has been from others.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: How do your friends/co-workers/family view your interest in Disneyland and Disney

My whole family knows, they think it's funny. They all grew up around the park too so they get it. I only have a few friends that are as into Disneyland as I am. Everyone else I know just knows I am an AP holder and that's about it haha.

Re: How do your friends/co-workers/family view your interest in Disneyland and Disney

All of my family and friends know. It's nice that most of my friends and family share the level of interest I have in it. I used to get some comments from my ex's parents but I think they were all in good fun, along the lines of wow you two go there a lot...

Growing up I was always a Disney girl. I was made fun of around ages 10 and up because I still had Little Mermaid lunch boxes and the other kids had New Kids on the Block. Now we all see which choice was more timeless and cool...hee hee!

And I absolutely can't seriously date someone who doesn't like Disney. I just can't.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I grew up in a Disney-loving family, so they get it.

The majority of my friends and people I've worked with over the years... not so much. Whenever I mention I'm going to WDW (since I live in Florida), they almost always respond with, "Again? Why?" I've learned to just ignore them for the most part.

My family thinks it is great that we do things we like. My work thinks I'm crazy because we go almost every weekend and we go to all the Disney special events,(D23, special signings, early entry, late night parties etc.) But that is who we are we are Disney nuts. I can just imagine if they only saw my house (lots of Disney artwork and collectibles in every room) and my non-work clothes (about 80%-90% of my shirts are Disney themed)

• Inappropriate

My immediate family gets it. They should. It's their fault. But in-laws, coworkers, half my friends....yeah they don't get it at all. I have co-workers who give me crap for going to the parks all the time, but then I give them crap for never have been in their life. Now it's to the point at work where I ask for vacation time, they say "California or Florida this time?"

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• The doctor is in

My family and friends know how much I love Disney in general, but they often laugh specifically at my love for Disneyland. My mom always asks me why I am willing to shell out so much money whenever possible to travel to Anaheim and spend 3-5 days in the park.
    The answer is simple. I am always my happiest when I am there. Not to mention they are the ones who would take us there every chance we got when I was younger.

Other than that no one really minds it.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quite a few think it is cute; some are just like me; a few think I'm nuts; my mom (age 98) who went the first time in 1962 never got into it and thinks any time I leave town I am going to Disneyland!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• World of Color

Most of my friends and family know I love Disneyland. They always ask me why I don't work there because I go there so much.

I've been an AP for about 16 years (pretty much half my life). But I never really talked about it or made it overtly obvious I was an AP, because I grew up and still live 10 minutes from the park and it was just part of who I was.

In high school, most of my friends had an AP, so it was the normal thing to do. If we had a free period before/after lunch, we would go to DL on our lunch break.

In college, I found out some of my good friends were either also APs or just big fans willing to shell out big bucks to take a ditch day from school. We didn't become friends because of Disney, we just happened to find out we had that in common after we became friends.

As an adult, it's funny because now a lot of my local friends, and a few co-workers, are APs. I had nothing to do with them getting their passes, but all of a sudden it just became the thing to do. So now I find myself going to the parks much more often, because I get random calls from friends who are going into the parks asking if I want to join them. After years of going with family/friends for special occasions only, and spending the rest of the time by myself, I'm taking as much advantage of their APs as I can. Hahaha!

No one (that I know of) thinks I'm weird for being an AP, though sometimes I think I'm weird. Lol. And I often question why I'm willing to shell out the big bucks year after year. But still, the parks are just such a big part of my life, it would seem weird to NOT be an AP after all these years.

• some assembly required

Most ppl close to me get it. In fact, if they don't understand that I adore themeparks, they most likely just don't know me.

It comes up on occasion at work. Co-workers are the worst in this regard. Sometimes they have no trouble accepting the fact that others spend 1000s of dollars on their fave sports team, but if you say you are staying at Disneyland and going there for 6 days in a row, they get a wierd look in their eye, or at worst you get insulted.

I always assumed that ppl who have a less-than-popular passion were the norm. As in: we all have one or two or three of these passions, but since we are all different, the passions aren't always the same. I adore the fact that my brother is so into comic books even tho I am not; it is what makes him unique.

In fact, I am very very very weary of anyone who DOES NOT have any passions on the level of my passion for themeparks; those ppl (IMO) have something wrong with them!!!

When I encounter someone who just doesn't get it, I try so hard to explain to them. I use examples like sports (as I posted above), cars, stamp collecting, and then ask why going to any themepark repeatedly is still strange to them. In the 21st century, it blows me away that there are still quite a number of judgemental ppl out there.
    Sports = OK
    Themeparks = odd behaviour
    I don't get this mentality... I don't understand why some ppl don't understand!!!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Well, my boyfriend hates Disneyland and doesnt understand my obsession, Which is fine with me, he has his hobbies and I have mine. My mom shares the obsession with me as her and I both have AP's and we go about once a month to get away from everything. There are some people at work that look at me funny because they know how often I go and unfortunately they cant afford to take their kids (not my problem)...my friends are kind of like whatever, they arent as interested. I actually like the fact that I only really have the option of going with my mom, its very nostalgic because her and my grandmother would always take me when I was kid, it makes it that much more special.

• Cunning infiltrator

Well, on my mom's side of the family. Two of my cousins have a partial interest to Disney and Disney theme parks in general. My uncle and auntie went to WDW twice with their sons, so they experienced it already along with the Disney Cruise Line. My mom's brother who is my younger uncle shows some partial obsession to Disney and Disneyland. He made his first trip to WDW back in Thanksgiving with his wife. Also, my uncle's wife is interested in Disneyland, but not too obsessed. But, they do know I'm obsessed with Disneyland and Disney and they share my interest well.

My dad's side of the family is not that interested, since my grandma at that time had suffered cancer and was fighting it. Due to her declining health, she passed away early 2012. My dad's family doesn't go out to visit special places as often anymore such as Las Vegas or anything at that time, they mostly spend there time at their large mansion home and eat at expensive restaurants. Also go out to the mall and watch movies when they're at American, but other times they do visit other countries around the world. But not Disneyland and Disney theme parks. So, they're indifferent when I'm into it. They don't laugh about it or joke about it they respect my obsession. So, it' fine.

My friends, they're ok with it. But one of my other friends are obsessed as me and they are AP holders, while I'm not a AP holder. We do go together when we have the time.

But, personally I prefer going to Disneyland Resort alone without anyone! No waiting for friends/family, no worrying of getting 'lost,' no rushing, no complaining, no whining, and no agreeing with the party's choices. It's all you! You're very own experience.
    Last edited by LangenFox; 01-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Blew By You

Many family members are annual passholders, so I'm in good company. Very few friends share my Disneyland fondness, but a few do. Those who question my passion for Disneyland are fewer. So, things are dandy.

• formerly very helpful

Most of my family and friends have at least a fondness for Disneyland, but they don't have the passion that I have. Other than letting folks know that I like it, I don't generally share to what extent. Not only would many of them not understand and be judgemental (mostly family) but I figure it's for my emotions, anyway, so why bother.
    Although my wife is very fond of Disneyland, she tends to worry (or just be more responsible) about money more, so I don't talk to her much about it. Fortunately my daughters are (almost) as crazy about Disneyland as I am, so I have my partners in passion for the Mouse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast