Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update Soarin'

• Under that tree again!

Re: Update Soarin'

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I really don't see what it has to do with California. The Soarin' attraction could play multiple films, regardless of whether it's DCA (I grew up in Southern California and have spent time in DCA 1.0, by the way) or in Florida or in another park somewhere else in the world. I would treat the Soarin' attraction more like Disneyland used to treat the CircleVision attraction, and not specific to a particular region or subject (e.g., Martin Short's Canada film).
    So you think a park where every other attractions has something to do with California or a general anonymous area should have one of its top attractions about somewhere that isn't California?

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I really don't see what it has to do with California. The Soarin' attraction could play multiple films, regardless of whether it's DCA (I grew up in Southern California and have spent time in DCA 1.0, by the way) or in Florida or in another park somewhere else in the world. I would treat the Soarin' attraction more like Disneyland used to treat the CircleVision attraction, and not specific to a particular region or subject (e.g., Martin Short's Canada film).
    I kind of think Disney has laied its bed and they have to lay in it when they built DCA. They are going to keep with the CA theme since they kind of built thier park about it. Soarin' at DL has to be about CA not about the world. Nice try
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Wink Re: Update Soarin'

I guess I don't see DCA as a strictly California enterprise.

Neither does Disney.

Okay, okay... maybe Eisner did, way back in the 90s, but Radiator Springs is clearly not a location exclusive or centric to any California of the past or present. Since I lived in both Fullerton and Brea (the later of which had to build a downtown from the ground-up, with a visionary focus on "smallt-town anchors" like AMC and Starbucks) and am a California native (born in San Francisco), I can tell you that perhaps, save for Ramone's, which takes its cue from a Pomona landmark, that no part of Radiator Springs reflects an expressly or exclusively "California experience".

In fact, few if any of Radiator Springs features are California-influenced - not the Cozy Cone (Kentucky!) or the stacked Cadillacs you see on the horizon (Texas!) and on and on. I guess Fillmore registers as a California character too, but none of the rest are exclusive to the Golden State.

And let's consider what an abysmal failure the "California-branded" DCA 1.0 experience was anyway? A cheap-feeling midway. Yeah, that's the California I remember from my youth. LOL. More like the Lords of Dogtown...

I'm simply suggesting that Soarin' has a much wider potential wingspan for other content. What is true is that most people who visit the parks (and the fellows who design them) don't have as myopic a view as those who can't be flexible. 99.5% of guests (aside from those here who limit themselves with notions of what is right or wrong in "their" park) won't agonize over the fact that the ride takes them beyond a berm or a geographic region.

Furthermore, with mindsets like those, Walt would have never built a Submarine Voyage or Autopia or CircleVision or Matterhorn in a Tomorrowland. OH! MY! GOODNESS! WE'VE BROKEN THEME!!!! WHAT?! WILL!!?! WE?!!? DO?!?!!?

Disney didn't historically limit themselves and neither should we.

e
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 01-31-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    ~ Erik

Name:  soarin.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  101.9 KB

There, fixed that right up. Shoot some film, program the moves, remove some too specific signage. Voilą!
    ~ Erik

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Your idea is great but again its not for DCA, it would fit Epcot. There does not have to be the same film at both parks. By the way inside Rataior Springs at DCA is the location of the town wich is somewhere east of Kingsman in AZ. Also Flying would not be off theme it would be out of charature. This is a park about CA not about other locations.

Right, I understand your points. And, unless you've annexed in those folks in Arizona, you simply reinforce my point that Disney has at least partially deemphasized the california from D.C.A. by adding a whole land based on a place not in California.

I 100% agree with you that Hong Kong and Disneyland and Paris and Florida shouldn't have mirrored attractions.

I was speaking to the idea that Soarin' is an attraction in the spirit of CircleVision, where new material can be brought in without having to revamp an entire attraction. New footage can be gathered outside of the attraction and the programming could be accomplished during a much-needed clean/refurb. Maybe a week to ten days of down-time if they lazed about doing it.

Too many people here, maybe because they are young or project too much of the parks onto themselves, become confrontational. Telling someone "nice try" because they suggest looking beyond California for material is a bit much, right?

I was in the original park in the early 70s, when Disneyland very much resembled Walt's original vision. That fact doesn't entitle me to more of an opinion than someone who was born in 1996 and has been an AP holder for much of their life, does it?

People need to put things in perspective.
    ~ Erik

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I never said that your ideas were invalid. Earlier you discused the ideas of different locations and the thought was that was needed for Epcot because of the fact that the Land Pavilion need to have a seperate film. Also just for you to think that a vaild idea can come from anywhere from anyone of any age. Age does not have to a modavation here. Just because I have grown up and understand the failers of DCA 1.0 does not mean I think the park is fixed. There is still so much need for the park included more theming and better attractions. Carsland fixed the park temp. but the popularity of the new land will be gone by summer. I am most interested for the next anouncment for the resort because the current list ends May and there is nothing besides Big Thunder Referb and Next Gen. Soarin' is a great attraction and needs TLC just as much as the rest of them. But putting locations outside the state for an attraction that has California in the name is not the film that should go in park about CA. I think Carsland was a quick fix that location wise does not work for the park. But to call me out on my age wich I 20 btw, is just low your idea of the attraction is good but it would work better for Epcot. Nice try.

You're making it personal for the 2nd time. Read my first post. As it was before you launched your offensive, I was merely suggesting some creative ideas to expand Soarin' with broader content. Unnecessary confrontation isn't only a young man's method, but statistically the chances are higher. I also said that people on forums tend to unnecessarily project the discussion onto themselves. Two people disagreeing over the color of Dale's nose becomes fodder for so much blood sport. At any rate, I'm sure we could discuss this silly point if we were face to face without it coming to fisticuffs.
    ~ Erik

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Ok lets ends this silly argument. We both agree that DCA is lacking the CA part in it. Examples: Carsland, Bugsland, Paradise Pier, ect. But the way I feel is why go more off theme for more interesting locations outside of the state. You have lived here in CA so u understand there is alot more geology and geography that the current film ignorrs. I feel DCA should not encourage the continue use of outside local for attractions. Carsland was an execption to that rule and it should not be president. If we continue to lose CA out of DCA I think we here at micechat will start calling it Disney Adventure park. I like your idea and i do feel that they could work but why try to encourge Disney with the idea they can get away with the killing of CA from the park. Those ideas would work better in the WDW forum for an Epcot Soarin' thread. You can start it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123