Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update Soarin'

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Update Soarin'

Okay here's an idea for stort-of-what we could do is have a major update with the full video including the final scene at the end with the flyover Disneyland. At the end of the scene we can have a drone fly over the Parks at different times in the day what could be done is since Condor flats is designed to have that runway there but we could use drone technology to film the parts at all different hours of the day and in All diferent weather conditions and we would only have to be able to shutdown this area for a couple of minutes of the day to do this fly over. what is great about it will also will make the guest feel like it's more of a realistic flyover because it will coincide with the weather outside of the the show building. Because we have the computers that we didn't have 10 years ago we will be able to swap out these videos at different times of the day and also based on the weather conditions outside the building and so this will also allow us to make the guest experience better and make it more magical as part of their day-to-day experience. Just thinking of a more unique experience besides Michael Eisner hitting a golf ball. I also think that the videos inside the video stream should be changed out as well with more updated videos using the drone technology with HD cameras what to consider is doing these flyovers of course with permission of military as in the video as before but also with maybe more unknown areas of California more of a Pitchback to Hue Houser. Also with the ideas of different times you would also be able to see and experience different things in the Disney parks at different times so it will also you know if you're flying over the park and seeing what is around you know mid day you'll see the soundsational parade. And in the afternoon you will fly over the and see Pixar Play parade, and at night you will see the fireworks. To end the video you fly over DL and do a 180 and turnaround and see DCA, then you fly over the park and come in landing on the runway in Condor Flats and then turing into the building and when you come inside the room will go black and you hear a sound of an elevator platform lowering just at the same time you lower back to the ground. This idea came to me last night. And sorry about some the mistakes I was telling Siri on my Iphone and she does not have a love for the parks I do. What do you think about this idea?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Re: Update Soarin'

There's some cool ideas in there.

I do agree that at the very least the footage needs to be rejuvenated... or is it the screen? I love love love Soarin' but I have to admit that the ride needs some love. The images look a little faded and dusty at times.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Sorry for the confusion this idea was one I had as I was going to bed and instead of turning my computer back on I grad my phone and let it do the work. I think the ride system is great I think its time for us to get an updated film...one last where there are no ticket boths outside of DL. Is that not to much to ask. I mean Anahiem PD Fly over the resort all night can't they just change their flight path one night for this?

• Banned User

I don't disagree that it's high time that a new Soarin' film be made (or two or three or four or...heck, make it five), but, while it's certainly a nifty creative idea and you're to be applauded for that, we'd have to wait for technology and its attendant costs to come down quite a bit before it could happen.

For starters, drones? Do you even realize how expensive and hard to obtain even one of those are? Not even including attack drones like the General Atomics MQ-1 Predator (unit cost $4.03 million) and the MQ-9 Reaper (unit cost $36 million), the ones that aren't currently in service to the various military services are designed for the CIA, NASA, and a whole host of other government and semi-government agencies, primarily for reconnaissance and scientific work. It is EXTREMELY doubtful that Disney would ever spend the money (even if they legally could, which is also extremely doubtful) to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle for filming purposes, especially when it's much cheaper and much easier to simply rent a helicopter specifically designed for motion picture filming (see Spacecam, a company that has been in this business for years and is very successful at it).

Also, Soarin' isn't shot on video, it's shot on film. Large format film, more specifically. And the resolution quality of even the best digital cinema format isn't even close to what it can provide, and it won't be for at least several more years. (See this post for more specific detail.)

So, while your idea is certain inventive (and I appreciate your enthusiasm for improving Soarin'), technologically speaking, you're a bit ahead of your time.

However, this is not to say that Soarin' doesn't need some TLC; it definitely does. New films would be terrific; it's certainly time for some. Also, new prints need to be struck. And the current Soarin' film needs a restoration, as well as new prints. The main reason it looks worn out and dirty is because....it is. The print's been through the projector how many thousands of times? I'm wondering when the heck the last time new prints were struck; I'd bet it's been a few years, at least.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

It does not mean that they have to go with a real drone. There are plenty of cheep options over at Brookstones. Those hover type planes, the ones metnioned in this article from the LA times: LAPD cracks down on drone aircraft use by real estate agents - latimes.com.
    They sell those around $2,000 and up. It does not need to be able to fire a missile just able to hold a camera. And they are small enough that they would not need to be to worried about low angles because they I can go almost on the ground.

• Inappropriate

I like this idea and want to add to it, by stealing from Star Tours. The scene transitions on Soarin' are already non-existent, so I think they should film more scenes and having them come up in random like the scenes on Star Tours. Also, make it digital, so we don't have to deal with dirty film anymore.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I like this idea and want to add to it, by stealing from Star Tours. The scene transitions on Soarin' are already non-existent, so I think they should film more scenes and having them come up in random like the scenes on Star Tours. Also, make it digital, so we don't have to deal with dirty film anymore.
    Instead of random, I would just like serveral varieties. That way the ride won't be the same everytime and more of a draw to the repeat visitors(APHs). More Specific I would like the finally to be seasonal, not the holidays 365 days per year.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I also think its time for Epcot to get a new film completly

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

The scene transitions on Soarin' are already non-existent
    This.

I love how Soarin' works but...with our technology and Disney's crafty imagineering team, it would be nice to have a smooth transition from one place to another, unless the idea was rejected before the final cut.

The ride needs TLC as much as DCA needed from the start...the screen looked terrible (in some areas) when I went on saturday...

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Instead of random, I would just like serveral varieties. That way the ride won't be the same everytime and more of a draw to the repeat visitors(APHs). More Specific I would like the finally to be seasonal, not the holidays 365 days per year.
    I've always wondered this, and have absolutely no way to back it up, but I wonder if the finale is filmed during Christmas time because everything has lights on it and it looks better lit up in the night-time shot. It actually took me a few rides to realize it was Christmas in that scene.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Also, Soarin' isn't shot on video, it's shot on film. Large format film, more specifically. And the resolution quality of even the best digital cinema format isn't even close to what it can provide, and it won't be for at least several more years. (See this post for more specific detail.)
    Soarin' is projected on 70MM IMAX film if I'm not mistaken. (After reading Retrocool's link, this is accurate) The movie is actually projected onto the screen with traditional film not a digital projection much like the new Star Tours ride is. Personally I prefer the look of old school film (and many directors do as well) because it lacks that pixelization that digital prints give. That being said, clean the screens!!! That alone would be a good enough refurb for me lol!

The chosen locations should be digitally rendered rather than photographed. With total control over lighting, atmosphere and "camera" angles, the rider could be presented fly-thru views that are too expensive, too dangerous, or just plain impossible to provide with conventional photography. Yes, the images wouldn't be "real". They'd instead be idealized visions of the natural sites…but isn't that what Disney is all about?

Besides incomparable clarity, digital renderings could provide the seamless transitions the ride sorely lacks. And, like Star Tours, the transitions, destinations and flight paths could be random, providing a different experience each time. Plus, there are a host of opportunities to insert random bits of Disney whimsy into the "natural" locations. Picture the jets flying within inches and feeling a blast of hot air in your face. What if the jets were followed by Iron Man or the Rocketeer?

My preference for the final scene would be a nighttime, rooftop level fly-over of a deserted Main Street Disneyland towards Sleeping Beauty Castle. As you approach the hub you'd catch a glimpse of Walt and Mickey walking down Main Street hand-in-hand. Fake? Yes. Corny? Definitely. But isn't that what Disney is all about as well?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by soothseyer View Post
    I love how Soarin' works but...with our technology and Disney's crafty imagineering team, it would be nice to have a smooth transition from one place to another, unless the idea was rejected before the final cut.
    While this would require a refilming. I wish they would blend the scenes in a couple ways. Flying from one location into clouds, and out of the clouds into another. Flying from one up over a ridge or trees and down to another location. Or from sunset in one through the darkness of night and sunrise at another.

I've always wondered this, and have absolutely no way to back it up, but I wonder if the finale is filmed during Christmas time because everything has lights on it and it looks better lit up in the night-time shot. It actually took me a few rides to realize it was Christmas in that scene.
    I've considered that a maybe, since the park always lights up nice at night. It may be because of the night parade.

Ending in DL itself is odd, why not DCA where we get off? I know it's changed but DCA is a lot nicer now and going from the Cadillac Range past WoC and making a bend around Grizzly Peak onto the landing strip seems just as prime.

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think they should update the Downtown LA scenes, add in the Hollywood sign, and make the final scene at DCA with the World of Color fountains and fireworks.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    There's some cool ideas in there.

I do agree that at the very least the footage needs to be rejuvenated... or is it the screen? I love love love Soarin' but I have to admit that the ride needs some love. The images look a little faded and dusty at times.
    I agree, I love the show... but the screen looks really beat up. It kind enters the visuals.
    New footage would be nice, maybe like Star Tours, a couple different ones, add one every so often but use the old ones too... rotate them?
    the mechanism that lifts the seats is amazing... I know you are not supposed to ( ;-) ) but I find myself watching to see how the feeling of acceleration is done...
    I really enjoy it and I love to hear the OOooooos and Aaaahhhhhss from guests every time.
    And... where do I buy that Ocean scent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast