• Nic

Lightbulb "Small Worldland"

On my recent trip to Disneyland, I happened to notice how awkward and weird the section between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland is. It's a Small World isn't much of a fantasy (besides the Disney characters), and Matterhorn is based off a real mountain, so besides the Yeti, there really isn't much fantasy. While it doesn't bother me, I know many have complained also about the Submarine Voyage not belonging in Tomorrowland.

So, why not turn that back corner of the park into "Worldland"?

It's a Small World takes you on a voyage around the world, Matterhorn transports you to Sweden, and Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage has you exploring the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Since Autopia cuts into "Worldland", why not turn it into a Worldland attraction? You could drive by scale models of famous cities (San Francisco, Paris, Tokyo); the new Autopia would be similar to Storybook Land Canals, with cars replacing the boats, and city models taking the place of storybook models.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Banned User

Re: "Small Worldland"

The real Matterhorn is not in Sweden. It is in Switzerland.

Matterhorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Submarine Voyage is from the midcentury era when nuclear submarines were brand new, and the notion of everything being nuclear-powered was considered forward-thinking. Obviously, today (and not really that long after they were introduced in 1959), nuclear submarines are commonplace (even slightly antiquated), so in many respects you're right, they don't really belong in Tomorrowland anymore, if Tomorrowland is to truly keep to its theme, despite their iconic status. (The attraction should be preserved and kept alive in its original format somewhere off-site, though - Disney should seriously start to consider making a real Yesterland, where old attractions can go to live forever.) I wouldn't be opposed to Tomorrowland claiming that portion of the Park, though, but it and the Autopia should both be removed, IMHO. I think it's just time. And new, genuinely futuristic attractions should take their place.

As for It's A Small World not being fantasy, well, it's predicated on the idea of world peace. Last I checked, that's still a fantasy, not a reality.

I don't really think it's necessary to rename that portion of the Park. Just because the Matterhorn Bobsleds aren't heavy on "fantasy magic" in the story doesn't make its story necessarily realistic. It's definitely a fantasy (especially since it transplants the Himalayan Yeti halfway across the world to the Swiss Alps).

• formerly very helpful

There are many kinds of fantasy. It's not all princesses and fairies.

• ooooooOO!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    There are many kinds of fantasy. It's not all princesses and fairies.
    Short and sweet, well said.

I think the submarines rightfully belong in Tomorrowland, as it reminds us (or doesn't because of Nemo) of the exploration of the sea-floor here on Earth, which is still very "alien" to us. The subs also give the land diversity. I'm curious about this idea though, do you personally prefer making that area "worldland" rather than expand Fantasyland & Tomorrowland Cheshire?
    .:: ::.

• Minion

Matterhorn screams Fantasyland to me. You've got these cute, village-like facades with a tall mountain in the background. It works perfectly, in my opinion. Small world also works. I would rather just see Fantasyland expanded (though I think it's fine now) and Tomorrowland COMPLETELY overhauled. What they need to do with Autopia is update it already. It's no longer futuristic, but since I love that ride so much, I don't want it to go away. They need to create a new concept for the attraction. This is one of many things that need to be done for Tomorrowland.

I love the Yesterland idea above. That would be great.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    As for It's A Small World not being fantasy, well, it's predicated on the idea of world peace. Last I checked, that's still a fantasy, not a reality.
    Exactly! It's a Smal World was a fantasy ride long before they ruined it with the brand marketing additions. It was about the fantasy of world peace. That message may have become somewhat blurred by the new "Where's Waldo: Disney Edition" version of the ride, but that is the fantasy and why it belongs in Fantasyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    nuclear submarines are commonplace (even slightly antiquated)
    For the military, maybe. However they don't have them yet as a form of undersea tourism that is affordable to the general public the way it's portrayed in Tomorrowland. That is still very futuristic.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• ooooooOO!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Exactly! It's a Smal World was a fantasy ride long before they ruined it with the brand marketing additions. It was about the fantasy of world peace. That message may have become somewhat blurred by the new "Where's Waldo: Disney Edition" version of the ride, but that is the fantasy and why it belongs in Fantasyland.
    Just had a sad revelation that humanity may never achieve peace. Kind of eerie to think it actually does belong in Fantasyland, at least for the foreseeable future.
    .:: ::.

• Banned User

You know there was a plan in the 1950's for an "International Land" between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. My idea is for that area to become "Neverland" - an Adventure Isle-type area with numerous passageways, treehouses, caves, rope bridges, tunnels and three distinctly themed areas that would appeal to both boys and girls. Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock would return to Disneyland. Pixie Hollow, would be based on the unrealized attraction once planned for the New Fantasyland at Walt Disney World, and Mermaid Lagoon, bordering the Finding Nemo Submarines, would be a playground with splash fountains where kids can cool off, and Ariel meet-and-greet, with a lagoon, waterfall, remains of old shipwrecks, caves dotted with starfish and algae, and a scaled-down version of Prince Eric's Castle and/or King Triton's Castle. The Matterhorn would double as Neverpeak Mountain.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Chuuster View Post
    Just had a sad revelation that humanity may never achieve peace. Kind of eerie to think it actually does belong in Fantasyland, at least for the foreseeable future.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will be as one." - John Lennon
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I'd like to see them turn that whole area into a new land with an oceanic theme. Small world and the submarines would be included, since they both have ocean or voyage-related themes. I would remove Autopia and rebuild it in Carsland with a Cars theme. But I'd just leave the Monorail and PeopleMover tracks as-is. I'd build a volcano on the northeast corner with a thrill ride in it, something along the lines of a scaled-down Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo Disneyland. The Disneyland Railroad would go through the volcano, and there would be a nightly eruption show from the peak of the mountain. I'd build a new water surface ride of some sort, with individual boats and maybe some waves or rapids. And an underwater see-through tunnel as a walk-through attraction similar to the Shark Encounter at Sea World. The area where Autopia is now could be designed as an island with a restaurant and gift shop. As for small world, I would implement the suggestion made in this forum that each boat be themed to a specific country and no 2 boats are alike. That would be 5 attractions in the land, 1 restaurant and 1 gift shop, and one nightly show. Enough to constitute a land. The Matterhorn is simply a landmark that divides 2 lands, like many real mountains do.

It'd be much more optimistic to move Small World to Tomorrowland.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

You have to remember it used to be worse. Remember when they had the Phantom boats over there. Thankfully I was not old enough to remember them but from what I have seen it would have mad the land even more a mess on theming. If we reley want to right here Matterhorn belongs in Adventureland. The reason Matterhorn has had this location problem was because the original attraction was built to cover up a pile of dirt. Walt wanted the Matterhorn in the park and that just made sense to build a Mt on top of a pile of dirt. As you can see from the original attraction posters the ride vechiles look like they were from the future. My thought is that Walt could not decide on which land it would go so he put it as part of Tomorrowland. When the Fantasy expansion in 1983 the Matterhorn moved across the line into Fantasyland with the addition of Harold (the yeti). Matterhorn to me looks like it hops the line when ever there is an expantion going in (TL 59' and FL 83')
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• -

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    When the Fantasy expansion in 1983 the Matterhorn moved across the line into Fantasyland
    Actually, it was re-zoned as Fantasyland in the 70's. The snowmen were added in '78.

The Old Matterhorn at Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Matterhorn to me looks like it hops the line when ever there is an expantion going in (TL 59' and FL 83')
    It never changed lands during any expansion/land remodel.
    Last edited by calsig31; 01-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Thanks for the correction. I should of checked with Yesterland and not Wiki for the info. I was just doing some quick research before I posted the date I thought it was. My gues was 81 but 72 would make more sence.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M