Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Inappropriate

New Tomorrowland Restaurant idea

I like the Pizza Port, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one. And Tomorrowland, as far as I know, is the only land that doesn't have some sort of literary connection to it. So while reading the book The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I thought, heck! Let's turn the Pizza Port into Milliways! If you don't know, Milliways is a restaurant where the show to go with dinner is watching the universe explode above you. I figured with the leaps they've made in projection technology, they could put on some sort of projection show on the ceiling of the universe collapsing and blowing up above the dining area. Maybe have it timed for every half hour or something, like Rain Forest Cafe's thunder storms. I know most people wouldn't make the connection to the book, but Splash Mountain has more than proven that if there's a quality product being offered, you don't need to be familiar with the source material at all. Other attractions around Disneyland support this point too. How many people still read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, or The Wind in the Willows, or even One Thousand and One Nights? So let's put some literature into Tomorrowland and blow up the universe!...Every half hour.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

Re: New Tomorrowland Restaurant idea

Interesting idea. Are you talking about a dinner show where guests watch the universe explode? Not sure how I feel about that concept. I'd rather see the space become the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, cloned from DHS. I'd also like to see the End of Line Club, a Tron-themed bar and lounge area for grown-ups, with “windows” that give guests the illusion that they are really inside "The Grid"

• -

A planetarium type of dining experience sounds great and like just what Tomorrowland needs. However, an awesome show is not enough. If the food is as bad as the pizza at Play Doh Port, it won't do well. They have to have a great menu to go with the great show.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• "I don't like the color"

How about something more jolly than the universe exploding?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

They should have just kept Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars and turned it into a restaurant. You could order your pizza at Mission Control, and the animatronic figures could relay your topping choices to the pizza control crew. Then you wait in the round "rocket" theater, which there were 2 of, for your pizza to be delivered to you either by cast members in space suits, or by that system seen on "The Jetsons" cartoon where they just pushed a button and the completed meal came out on a conveyor belt. All this time, movies play continuously on the screens on the ceiling and floor, which were already there for the Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars attractions. You could feel like you are blasting off into space as you are eating, or watching the universe explode, whichever would be better.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    How about something more jolly than the universe exploding?
    In the book, it's done very silly and whimsical. There's nothing depressing about it. Except Marvin.

And yes, the food quality would have to increase exponentially.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    In the book, it's done very silly and whimsical. There's nothing depressing about it. Except Marvin.

And yes, the food quality would have to increase exponentially.
    The Martian??

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I LOVE Milliways! Not sure if it would work, but it's a nice idea!

Fluffy Club Member

• -

The Martian??
    Hagler?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Marvin the robot. AKA the Paranoid Android.

Fluffy Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by lady3jane View Post
    Marvin the robot. AKA the Paranoid Android.
    That would be C3PO......

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Hagler?
    Hamlisch?

• -

Hamlisch?
    Acme?

• Banned User

Not a bad idea, actually (not sure about the whole idea of the universe exploding, even if it is whimsically done, but the basic concept is pretty nifty).

I like Bob Weaver's idea a lot too! If an old attraction MUST be converted into a restaurant, why not incorporate the attraction's design into the restaurant design? That's very creative!

I only recall eating at Pizza Port once, in either 2002 or 2005 (I forget which), and I liked it fairly well. Wasn't outstanding, so, yeah, the food quality should definitely improve, but the pasta (I don't think I had any pizza) was pretty good, and the price was low compared to other park offerings. However, the food quality should improve without the price skyrocketing. After seeing the prices for the now-defunct Pizza Oom Mow Mow at DCA, I was shocked. $6 a slice? $32 for a whole pizza? That's outrageous. For those prices, it better be the best pizza anybody's ever eaten ANYWHERE, and since that's entirely subjective and eternally debatable, prices would need to reflect reality in order for it to be successful (that's most likely the main reason Papa Oom Mow Mow is closed - its insane prices).

Even if neither of these ideas were implemented, Tomorrowland definitely could benefit from a more atmospheric, visually creative restaurant. Something along the lines of Encounter at LAX, but with a bit more pizzazz (I love the idea of dynamic images of space being projected on the ceiling of the restaurant, Fremont Street Experience-style, as you dine).

Encounter at LAX

Fremont Street Experience

• Mostly Harmless.

Apparently the universe exploding on the ceiling only works if you are Hitchikers Guide fan. That said, I think this is the best idea since can beer! Would seriously be the best tribute to one of the science fiction giants of our time!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast