View Poll Results: Should Disney puruse a 3rd gate now?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Disney should move forward with plans for a 3rd gate now.

25 36.76%
  • No. Disney should not plan for a 3rd gate now.

43 63.24%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The Magics in the details

The general situation, is that there will be a third gate at DLR, but not for about a decade. It takes about that long to build a theme park from blue-sky comception to grand opening, so yes folks, the pencil pushers at TDA are in the process of preliminaries for a third gate, but, as I'm sure most of you know, they can't afford to make another DCA-type mistake/overestimate. Land aquisition have, for the most part, already been made.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

it took Disney what ten years after Epcot to build MGM? seems pretty wise to me if that's how Disney is going to pace itself

should Disney go about setting up infulstructure in the form of both land and hotels? yes they should

more land is better and buying up hotels and expandint the resort to create a cohesive whole that guests can travel through would be prime

but to actualy START construction on the third gate? it's way to early for that

DCA at LEAST needs a couple more Etickets as well as a more well rounded out path system

I don't believe that DCA is quite the spectacular failure people are making it out to be (read some of the expectations that MANAGEMENT set up for the park before it oppend they must've been high on something) it's done margionaly alright and it's attendance has been increasing slowly over time (it wasn't marketed well beyond the basic scope of California so basicaly awareness of it in my area of Washington has come about by people going to Disneyland seeing the second park, not having time to stop by because they didn't plan out their trip besides the usual one day stop at Disneyland *which is what most tourists have done* so that leaves them to plan for it the next time the visit which may not be fore a few more years hence the slow rise in awareness and popularity)

DCA needs more rides and more advertising to establish in the publics mind that Disneyland is now a resort and not just a stop on a larger trip (probably Disney's biggest problem is this, in florida Disney is the draw, but in California people don't just come for Disney they come for Hollywood and other prestigious areas and only plan a short stop at Disneyland rather then staying there as it's rather expensive)

• Northwest Disneyphile

I say go ahead with a third park, before “fixing” DCA. Mostly just to prove to everybody that they can do it right given the proper resources.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    it took Disney what ten years after Epcot to build MGM? seems pretty wise to me if that's how Disney is going to pace itself
    I think it was more like 7 years....which means they got about 3 years to break ground, design jaw dropping attractions and construct the whole thing if they wish to stay on the same sorta timeline
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• My Children's Father

Businesses don't plan to fail, they fail to plan .......

Even if the third gate wouldn't open until 2020, it is not too early to do some planning. Property has to be acquired, deals made with the City, ride systems invented and tested,supporting infrastructure built/rebuilt .... these thing take time, and I'd like to be around when the third gate opens (assuming it's something I'd want to do .....)
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Minion
    I know this question has been asked 1000 times, but where will they build the 3rd theme park? How close is it to Disneyland?
    Here is a map. Its the second edition of something I have edited for these 3rd gate/DCA expansion posts.

The blue area in the southeast corner is the preposed site of the third gate. Now as I understand it someone in a similar thread said that the blue land occupies about 60 acres roughly the size of DCA/Timon lot. The Orange area to the immediate north is currently an employee lot which provides an additional 30 acres. I would guess based on those numbers that those hotels in yellow in the northwest corner against Katella and Harbor occupy an additional 20-25 acres worth persuing aquisition.

I also strongly agree with the idea of outlining and persuing a 3rd gate, generate more revenue for the resort in general which can be shifted into the upgrade and expansion of DCA. Once DCA becomes a stand alone experiance the revenue it will generate can be funneled back into the 3rd gate for its envitable expansion as well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    the blue land occupies about 60 acres roughly the size of DCA/Timon lot.
    DCA and Timon are more like 85 acres....

About the same guest area as Disneyland.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    DCA and Timon are more like 85 acres....

About the same guest area as Disneyland.
    I stand corrected. We established yesterday numbers are not my thing.

•   
    • Minion

I agree with Dustysage on this...

DCA is beyond repair to most people's satisfaction... Adding ToT did not fix DCA, and the more I read about the subject, the more I realise that under it's current developement plan, the park is too deeply flawed for a simple repair and not flawed enough for a major overhaul.

If a third gate is built, and built right, for all practicle purposes Disneyland Resort would have a replacement second gate... And an "overflow gate" which is what DCA is...
    Check out my other blog:

I think you just got confused on the numbers ah schucks

I said a day ago that the 60 acre land was close to DCA but that's because DCA opend with 55 acres of land but if you add the Timon lot to it then Dshimel is right it's approximatly 85 acres (the same size as DL)

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I think you just got confused on the numbers ah schucks

I said a day ago that the 60 acre land was close to DCA but that's because DCA opend with 55 acres of land but if you add the Timon lot to it then Dshimel is right it's approximatly 85 acres (the same size as DL)
    I said I stand corrected- gee wiz raza ma fraz *waddles off muttering to himself*

• Random Thinking

I agree with DustySage, Cellarhound...etc.

DCA has a bad rep as is...People without pasees aren't going to keep coming back every year to ride the one new e-ticket ror a couple of kiddie rides...at least not without big discounts.

Build a third park. Build it good...not cheap. Blow any doubts out of the water...something on par with Disney Sea...something truly different, truly well done, truly original...(we know the imagineers are iching to do it...)

DCA will fill by default...overflow...as mentioned.

(I also think they should build a water park as PART of DCA...included in the DCA ticket price...similar to Paramount's Great America in San Francisco or King's Island in Ohio. I am sure there are others as well, but those are the only ones I've been to...
    Anyways, if they are going to build a water park at all...make it a part of DCA and not a seperate ticket. Just a thought...it would be more of an offering then Magic Mountain and Knott's, which charge seperate admission to thier water parks...)
    525,600 minutes...how do you measure, measure a year?

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Stargirl
    I agree with DustySage, Cellarhound...etc.

DCA has a bad rep as is...People without pasees aren't going to keep coming back every year to ride the one new e-ticket ror a couple of kiddie rides...at least not without big discounts.

Build a third park. Build it good...not cheap. Blow any doubts out of the water...something on par with Disney Sea...something truly different, truly well done, truly original...(we know the imagineers are iching to do it...)

DCA will fill by default...overflow...as mentioned.

(I also think they should build a water park as PART of DCA...included in the DCA ticket price...similar to Paramount's Great America in San Francisco or King's Island in Ohio. I am sure there are others as well, but those are the only ones I've been to...
    Anyways, if they are going to build a water park at all...make it a part of DCA and not a seperate ticket. Just a thought...it would be more of an offering then Magic Mountain and Knott's, which charge seperate admission to thier water parks...)
    Oh you are a freaking genius, I have been saying this for years!!!!!! What a novel concept- a waterpark (a free one at that) inside a major theme park. Damn you forgot your swim trunks, towels, suntan lotion? Oh you want to rent a cabana by the wave pool now too? Thats another 200 bucks please! Money that could be spent to suppliment the DCA budget towards rides, theming, parades, shows, etc!

• Banned User

I've been to several Six Flags parks that have free water parks inside them. AstroWorld and Elitch Gardens come to mind (2 of the worst Six Flags parks, BTW). I recall a 3rd, but don't remember which one right now.

People go on slides an in the wave pool, then with soaking wet clothes, hop on a coaster or other rides. You get on after them, and suddenly your butt and back are soaking wet. Tons of teens running aound in swimsuits and flip-flops....

Not the environment I think Disney should be pushing for its theme parks... Keep the wet swim suits and unsupervised teens in a dedicated water park.

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I've been to several Six Flags parks that have free water parks inside them. AstroWorld and Elitch Gardens come to mind (2 of the worst Six Flags parks, BTW). I recall a 3rd, but don't remember which one right now.

People go on slides an in the wave pool, then with soaking wet clothes, hop on a coaster or other rides. You get on after them, and suddenly your butt and back are soaking wet. Tons of teens running aound in swimsuits and flip-flops....

Not the environment I think Disney should be pushing for its theme parks... Keep the wet swim suits and unsupervised teens in a dedicated water park.
    I agree, swimsuits and rollercoasters don't mishmesh well and it makes things uncomfortable for everyone

a water park won't even do much for Disney with it's current mission, maybe a small one behind Paradise Pier hotel but otherwise I'm going to say no

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast