Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Hukuna Matata!

Re: Gumball strategies for DL?

After years of practicing, plotting and planning ill be honest with you the best score I've had was being random and being flexible, pack food and drinks for your team, synchronize bathroom breaks and have fun. Ps start the logo drawing and shirts now. I would look at the past winners and see what there designs were, you would be surprised at the themes that won and didn't. It's a trip.

• Selfie Expert

I'm definitely thinking the random/flexible strategy is where we're headed, especially since I still want to have fun and not stress about a schedule, but it's good to know what's worth more to help prioritize. I'll try and find the past winners, I haven't had much luck navigating the Gumball Rally page on MC!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Ok, so my thinking on the questions is correct in that you can't prepare for them. I'm actually kind of excited about the questions, it will give me new things to look for on rides!
    Yeah, you can't prepare for them. I just meant to say, be really careful and extra observant during the competition.

What I tried to do to "prepare," since I don't live near DL (I have to fly in for the competition) and couldn't practice, was watch YouTube videos of the rides so that they would be fresh and familiar to me. I even tried to anticipate what could be asked and counted certain things ahead of time, but absolutely nothing I studied actually was included, so that was pointless.

When we did find an answer, it was exhilarating! It made Disneyland fresh again, and it was fun to visit the park with a high level of intensity. One of my favorite memories was ending the day at Mr. Lincoln. We took off our shoes, and kicked back in our seats; we could barely move. I have never been so sore. Maybe a great tip would be to do some exercising ahead of time. Hmmm...nah.

I think there is a high probability that it is going to be both parks this year, which adds a whole new element. I don't think we want to go back and forth and back and forth, so deciding how to divide up the day to save your feet and walking time will be important.
    Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

• Sock Puppet

its hard to prepare for the gumball rally, just i guess best advise is when your doing it that your team needs to pace them selves..it's a fun "ride marathon" and that's how it should be kept.it's more then just getting every ride in there is quizzes and clues and things to that we do through out the day, at the end of the day everyone is a winner whether or not they got EVERY ride in or not!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Yes!!! This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for!! Thank you so much!

Ok, so my thinking on the questions is correct in that you can't prepare for them. I'm actually kind of excited about the questions, it will give me new things to look for on rides!
    Yeah you can't really prepare for the questions because you won't know the questions until you get them on the day of the event. The questions are made so that anybody can play. Gumball Rally is catered to all. It's not a game designed specifically for super pro players. It's designed for everyone in mind, no matter the amount of experience teams may have. Everyone will be on equal playing ground. Again, we won't know what the questions will be like this year. They can adjust the points or exclude attractions from previous years. Basically, all your questions will be answered once you have the pamphlet in your hands and you can see what attractions are on the list.

• Selfie Expert

Well, I don't know if I'll actually be there for the official rally since I don't know the dates, but I'm dying to give this a try!! Thank you all for your information and input on this!

When I first did this I was familiar with Disneyland but had no idea on extent of things I had no idea of. Looks like over the years it now involves going on some of the rides when the years I did them it did not. The 2nd year I just did it with my youngest son as I knew we had zero chance of getting into the top 80% of the field as it was way out of my league. But it sure was fun and we only focused on two parts of the test and think we still failed. We aimed for the "Windows on Main Street" and Adventure land trying to find the hidden photo items. It was brutal but fun as heck. Have a great time and work at quick pace but i think its set up so it all cant be completed so take it easy and have fun.

• Selfie Expert

I'm almost more interested in just completing the questions than actually competing. I hope they post these or something when it's done so those who can't attend and still "pretend"!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Well, I don't know if I'll actually be there for the official rally since I don't know the dates, but I'm dying to give this a try!! Thank you all for your information and input on this!
    I was poking around MiceChat's Event page and found this little tidbit at the bottom:

'Disneyland Resort Gumball Rally – May 4th, 2013'

Everyone, mark your calendars

• Selfie Expert

Dang it!!!! I work that weekend!

Ah well, I can still pretend and live vicariously through those who can attend!!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Dang it!!!! I work that weekend!

Ah well, I can still pretend and live vicariously through those who can attend!!
    Oh no! Are you sure you're going to be working that weekend? It's so far out! I don't even know what I'm doing that weekend. But I'm hoping it's nothing!

• Selfie Expert

I work 7 days on, 7 days off, so assuming nothing crazy happens I can tell when I'll be working pretty easily. It's very nice for planning things! However it's not easy to cover my shift, so it stinks when things are scheduled during it.

That's okay, though. I don't mind trying it on my own, and I know I have some friends who would be up for a few attempts, too!

• Mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    I was poking around MiceChat's Event page and found this little tidbit at the bottom:

'Disneyland Resort Gumball Rally – May 4th, 2013'

Everyone, mark your calendars
    Based on previous years, I was hoping it would be May 18th. Wow. I'm going to be less than 4 weeks out from surgery. I was hoping to have a few extra weeks to heal. I'll be there.

On the bright side, it might be less busy! I think that date is a good choice after last year's nightmare day. Hopefully there won't be an AP price hike on May 5th.
    Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

• Disney Obsessed

May the 4th be with you. I love that day

Got interested in this thread last night so made me go hunt down results from the 3 that I did. First one was 1999 and I think total of 50 people did it so nice and friendly. In Winter 2000 my son and I paired up and we really did bad.

We were perfect in the Frontier Land leg but really stunk up the other categories. The time limit was 3 hours so nice tight event and 12 different areas for the adventure.

Not even one team was able to complete each event. But it was a blast. For those in search mode we were team #13 ... lol... ya we stunk with 282 pts 34 pts behind team in front of us and only 512 pts behind the winner. What a blast it was.

Perhaps we shall return to scene of the crime and do the next one of this type. ... Have fun all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast