Questions about using GAC

Hi,

Some very close friends of mine are going to Disneyland soon and I need some help for them. Their son has Ducheene Muscular Dystrophy and will need to use a GAC, as he spends most of the day in a wheel chair. I have a few questions for those who have or currently use these.

Their son is able to walk, but will be in a wheel chair for most of the time because he can't take a lot of physical exertion. One my biggest questions is the use of the GAC vs use of fastpass.

A while back my daughter injured her foot and we were using a wheel chair. I found the wait in the GAC lines at Disneyland to be really long and we could have ridden much faster if we had used fastpass. Is that true for most GAC lines in Disneyland? What about on the California Adventure side? Their son could probably wait for short amounts of time in some lines, but would need to be in a wheel chair most of the time. Which rides would be better to use a fastpass over the GAC or are there any?

Is there anything else they should know about using a GAC?

Any suggestions that you could pass my way would be greatly appreciated. My friends rarely get to go to theme parks and these tickets were a Christmas gift. I really want to give them the best advice to help make their day go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks

• Observer

Re: Questions about using GAC

sometimes the GAC line is much longer. for example Pirates that has a line of 30 min can sometimes have a GAC line of 45... space mountain can usually double. it all depends on the attraction, time of day and if you want to go without the chair.. and even then the GAC has different stamps meaning different wait times based on them. make sure you really explain your needs to city hall. but if you say u want a short line, they most likely will give you a pass that makes you wait with everyone else... after all its not a front of the line pass.. its a assistance pass

• Disneyland 19 year APH

It realy depends on the attraction. A lot of the Fantasyland attractions are to old to have guest asistence sperate from the regular boarding so they enter through the exit. Almost everything inside DCA has a sperate section for specal needs boarding. I would talk to CM at guest relations they would help you out the best.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Just drawn that way

Sometimes the GAC line does get long and if you can walk a bit it, sometimes it is faster (yet still a wait) to us fast pass. brianpinsky is correct it really does depend on the attraction.
    =)
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Just drawn that way

Sometimes the GAC line does get long and if you can walk a bit it, sometimes it is faster (yet still a wait) to us fast pass. brianpinsky is correct it really does depend on the attraction.
    =)
    Little and broken, but still good.

• -

All the lines in CA Adventure should be ADA compliant because of when they were built. There should be no problem taking a wheelchair through any of the stand by lines.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Also to note there is no Speciel needs boarding on the DLRR at Main street to many steps.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    It realy depends on the attraction. A lot of the Fantasyland attractions are to old to have guest asistence sperate from the regular boarding so they enter through the exit. Almost everything inside DCA has a sperate section for specal needs boarding. I would talk to CM at guest relations they would help you out the best.
    I just want to clarify a bit here....

Fantasyland queue cannot handle a wheelchair. Because of this, wheelchair or accessible queue starts at the exit. Look at the various rides for instructions. They will usually have a sign where you enter for wheelchair accessible.

DCA is completely wheelchair accessible. You can take his wheelchair in any of the lines without issue. They do not have separate areas.

You will always be better off using a fast pass if possible. Otherwise, allow him to wait in his wheelchair. The HA lines can be longer, but he can be in his chair.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I just haven't had a lot of experience working with the GAC lines. Just the one time with my daughter, and I surmised that for us it wasn't worth it. I wasn't sure what advice to give my friends, but I think your information has helped.

It sounds like fastpasses are a must for DCA and are probably useful for a lot of rides at Disneyland. I'll will let me know.

Thanks!

Oh, one more question. I was writing the email to my friend to explain all of this, and then I remembered that there seemed to be a separate line to Toy Story Mania for wheel chair guests. Is that correct? Is it better to go this route on this ride?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mlggator View Post
    Oh, one more question. I was writing the email to my friend to explain all of this, and then I remembered that there seemed to be a separate line to Toy Story Mania for wheel chair guests. Is that correct? Is it better to go this route on this ride?
    No, wheelchairs are accommodated in the regular line.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Hi there! I haven't posted in quite some time, but I look at MiceChat each day. I couldn't help but answer your questions when I saw it on the feed.

I'm actually a current Guest Relations CM at Disneyland and would be more than happy to answer your concerns.

From what others have stated above, they are fairly correct. A Guest Assistance Card is not intended for immediate access onto any of the attractions -- both Disneyland and DCA side. What it is intended for is to provide a more comfortable waiting area for the concerned person and their Guests, which can include a max of 6 persons (this includes the Guests requiring the assistance). After all, our program isn't based off of medical diagnosis, but of "concerns" you have going onto the attractions.

I read in your post that your party member will be utilizing a wheelchair for most of the day. If that is the case, you don't even need to get a physical "paper" Guest Assistance Card because the wheelchair will automatically allow you into the wheelchair accessible lines because your wheelchair acts as a "visible cue" for the CMs to allow you in said lines.

Now, as others have pointed out, Disney California Adventure is completely wheelchair accessible via the standard queues since it was built in 2001. Disneyland is a little bit of a different story. Due to the fact that Disneyland was built in 1955, a lot of our older attractions weren't built to be wheelchair accessible because the laws did not exist at the time for them to be so. Due to this fact, we allow guests with mobility concerns to utilize different entry points into the attraction at Disneyland; typically, these entry points will be through the exit.

The only time you would need a physical "paper" GAC card for mobility concerns would be if your party member likes to occasionally "walk" every so often and not be stuck in the wheelchair all day. If that is the case, visit either the Chamber of Commerce at DCA or City Hall at Disneyland so that a physical Guest Assistance Card can be provided for your party that will grant you the same access as your physical wheelchair would. My rule of thumb: if you are utilizing the wheelchair ALL DAY, you don't need a physical Guest Assistance Card. If there are times you are considering walking through some portions of the day, get one.

One more thing to note. Due to the fact that DCA is completely wheelchair accessible, we do offer what is known as a return time pass for some of the more popular attractions -- such as Radiator Springs Racers, Toy Story Midway Mania!, and Mickey's Fun Wheel. What these passes allow you to do is to return to the attraction at a later time in the day if the lines are too long for you to physically stand in. (They are essentially almost like an additional FastPass.). However, a special note on this: YOU HAVE TO INQUIRE with the Cast Member at the front of the attraction to see if they are offering a return time pass for the day. If they are, they will give you a paper slip telling you when you can come back to the attraction at a later time through a more quick fashion. You are essentially "waiting" the amount of time that the attraction standard queue is (if not more), but you are not in the "physical" line itself. This allows you to enjoy other less crowded attractions or grab a bite to eat before returning to the attraction.

Beyond that, the only thing that Disney offers that truly "cuts" down on your wait time is to utilize our FastPass service, which is included complimentary with your ticket purchase.

Hope that cleared things up!

- Maleficent Fan

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

And to further answer your questions, it is indeed true that some of the wheelchair accessible lines at Disneyland can be MUCH LONGER than the standard queue -- such as Space Mountain. This is due to the fact of limited vehicle capacity that can cater to guests utilizing wheelchairs and the need for those vehicles to cycle through its rotation.

Please note, and I cannot stress this enough, the Guest Assistance Card is not intended for immediate, preferential access, but equal access onto the attractions.

PS: If you haven't done so already, Guest Relations recently got updated Guests With Disability park map brochures; stop by next time.... it will tell you exactly where to go for every attraction.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

Wow, Maleficent Fan, that was such great info. I just passed it along to my friend. They just don't get to go to Disney very often and I want them to have as magical a day as possible. This will really help them.

Thank you!