Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Three new dining experiences this weekend, two positive

For the first time since the new DCA we had a multiple day visit to Disneyland and as always, one of our favorite things is trying out the new food offerings and new experiences.

This weekend we tried out the new Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe, a return visit to Ralph Brennan's for the first time in a few years and breakfast at the newly remodeled Carnation Cafe.

I also got to ride Luigi's Flying Tires for the first time.

Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe
    This wasn't only our first time eating here, but the first time we'd been inside. Frankly I was apprehensive because I thought it would be too similar to the "ok" Jolly Holiday. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. My wife and I split the Roast Beef Sandwich and I'm glad to report it was absolutely fantastic. There was so much Roast Beef on the sandwich, I expected a half re-heated sandwich and instead what we got was a hot, fresh sandwich with an appropriate amount of melty cheese and horseradish. We will certainly be eating here again.

Ralph Brennan's
    For lunch on Saturday we ate at Ralph Brennan's. I probably hadn't eaten here in 5 years, I had very underwhelming experiences here in the past. This visit was great. I think most of the people in our party of 14 were equally impressed. The Shrimp Po' Boy had an adequate amount of shrimp, the bread wasn't too soft or too hard. My one disappointment is that I ordered the potato salad, got fries, was told they'd bring me some potato salad and I never got it. I realize we had a large party but I found this unacceptable. Overall though the service was great and the food was good. It won't be 5 years before we eat here again for sure.

Carnation Cafe
    Unfortunately there had to be one stinker of the weekend. We had breakfast at the new Carnation Cafe' Sunday morning. Sad to report that the service hasn't improved with the expanded dining location. It looks great, the heaters outside were appreciated. I got the Huevos Rancheros and frankly, my food wasn't even warm. The salsa had no kind of kick to it at all and I don't know if they don't have hot sauce (not tabasco) or if it just wasn't offered. By the time I would have been able to ask it was too late. I just don't get how there are so many places in SoCal that serve great Mexican food yet Disneyland just can't seem to get it right.

I'll also say that I absolutely LOVED Luigi's Flying Tires. I hadn't ridden it before but due to the light crowds we were able to ride twice. I wasn't expecting much out of it but it was absolutely fantastic. Obviously riding with fun people makes all the difference in the world.

• No Disassemble!

Re: Three new dining experiences this weekend, two positive

To me Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe is the best casual eatery in DCA. The only thing that grinds my gears sometimes is when the lines are swelling with the caffeine deprived and it takes 20 minutes to get to the cashier. What I like most about the sandwiches is that the flavors are pretty decent reproductions of classic deli foods made famous in Los Angeles.

I'm to hear that you had a great experience Clinksalot sans the Carnation Cafe thing being "meh" of course.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• No Disassemble!

doh.. repost.
    Last edited by G24T; 01-28-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: repost
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Greetings, Program!

I wanna try that roast beef sammich!
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Good review, but where are the pictures?! You know we all love pictures of food

Give Carnation another try for lunch/dinner. It's not too shabby.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Good review, but where are the pictures?! You know we all love pictures of food
    Yeah come on Gregg! Whats a MiceChatter report without pictures!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Yeah come on Gregg! Whats a MiceChatter report without pictures!!
    Gregg's details and poetic eloquence painted pictures in my imagination.

I had a good turkey reuben sandwich at the 3 Pigs, but I had a much better one when I saw the Disney exhibit at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley (at the Reagan Country Cafe.)

We ate at the Carnation Cafe on Saturday. I liked my spinach/grilled chicken salad. Our first waiter was great, but then she went on break and the new one was slow.

We love Luigi's Tires too.

• Selfie Expert

I need to try FFPC, I also have never been inside. That's a shame about Carnation. We go there for breakfast every trip, and I LOVE the juevos rancheros. I'm easy to impress, though.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I agree with you about Luigis. We went on it twice on our visit at Christmas. I wasn't expecting too much, but found it to be really fun! We had no issues controlling the tires or moving around the floor. Not sure if they improved it since the opening issues, but all of us really had a blast.

• DMTNT

I think you need to give Carnation Cafe another chance. My experience there has been great all around. We went for breakfast and the service was fantastic and the food was great.

• Minion

Your quick review of FFP Cafe definitely sold me. I'm going to try and grab lunch there next time I visit.

• New Member Goes Forth

Thanks for the reviews.

I remember when I ate at Ralph Brennans, it was very dry. Maybe I will try it agian after all these years.

Not suprised by the Carnation Cafe, as previous reviews have said that it is not much of a must eat resturant.

Finally, the '3 Pigs' cafe is proberly the best little cafe that there is in the park. Despite not eating their, I will next time Iam at DCA.

Thanks Again, but I agree with my fellow Micechatter, WE NEED PICS

Trumpet
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

I ate at Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe for the first time this weekend as well and also had that wonderful roast beef sandwich.

I've found that California Adventure seems to have much better tasting food, and a wider array of different kinds of places to eat, than Disneyland.

We love Carnation Cafe for lunch/dinner. Have not tried it for breakfast. The fried pickles and baked potato soup are must haves for me!! And yes - the food at DCA is overall awesome!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast