Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Inappropriate

Re: Disney's 1952 Film Retitled Tomorrowland!

The only things I can clearly make out in the picture of the box are pictures of Walt. Is that a comic book in there? And....folders.. none of this helps.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Lurker

That looks like an issue of Amazing Stories -- specifically, this one: http://www.pulpworld.com/images/amaz...ories_2808.jpg

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Full Story here
    Disney's 1952 Retitled Tomorrowland - IGN

Do you guys think this will help push Disney to finally redo at least the look of Tomorrowland?
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be a movie that prompts Disney to build anything??? Is WDI ever going to come up with anything on their own again? It really is frustrating watching Disney seemingly forget what made their theme parks so revolutionary in the first place.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by manifest View Post
    Why does it ALWAYS have to be a movie that prompts Disney to build anything??? Is WDI ever going to come up with anything on their own again? It really is frustrating watching Disney seemingly forget what made their theme parks so revolutionary in the first place.
    This.

Maybe that is why we no longer see original attractions and the international parks get them even today. The ones we have are so good and represent the core and foundation of our park while the other parks need to build their own unique "core" of original and unique attractions. Just a thought. Since marketing cant be the only ​reason since other resorts are still getting them.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• No Disassemble!

Creating multi-million dollar attractions based on blind faith that consumers will respond favorably is not how businesses succeed in this modern economy. It sucks I agree, but typical consumers are not going to buy into something unless they've been sitting on their butts for two hours building a connection to the brand. But if they hate what you're trying to feed them in the theaters then you've just saved time, money, and real-estate building an attraction that was destined to fail, theme-wise of course.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Senior Minion

Sad but true. The days of Disney being a world-class innovator of theme park attractions are long gone. They've devolved from sky's-the-limit creatives to risk-averse corporate marketers of pre-sold, pre-popularized brands. In WED's and WDI's heyday, Disneyland was the brand. Now it's just another of the corporation's brand marketing platforms.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-29-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• All-American

We're certainly getting a lot of Walt Disney biopics in the next few years, aren't we? Interesting, since until now I'm not sure there have been any.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Maybe that is why we no longer see original attractions and the international parks get them even today. The ones we have are so good and represent the core and foundation of our park while the other parks need to build their own unique "core" of original and unique attractions. Just a thought. Since marketing cant be the only ​reason since other resorts are still getting them.
    Well, really, Hong Kong is the only resort getting original attractions right now, but that's because that it was specified that new attractions would have to be original when Disney negotiated with the Hong Kong government. Tokyo DisneySea is actually getting much more cartoonified - its newest attractions are a Jasmine flying carpet spinner, Turtle Talk with Crush, and Toy Story Midway Mania - and the only new attraction Paris is getting is, sure enough, a Ratatouille dark ride. Meanwhile, Shanghai looks like it'll be the most franchise-based Disney park ever, with a Space Mountain based on Tron, an almost AA-free version of Pirates of the Caribbean based exclusively on the film franchise, and a version of Main Street that where all the buildings are based on Disney characters.

Originality has been dead in WDI for a long time.

• film975

This is really interesting news about Brad Bird's latest film. Other sites have been speculating that this maybe more based on the Tomorrowland episodes of the Disneyland TV show directed by Ward Kimball. Which attempted to predict what space travel was going to be like in the future based on actual scientific research in the 1950's. I just watched those again not too long ago. And I thought to myself, these would make interesting movies.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The only things I can clearly make out in the picture of the box are pictures of Walt. Is that a comic book in there? And....folders.. none of this helps.
    I notice a couple things.

The label on the edge of the box is hard to make out but may say 1984.
    The thing in the bottom right of the box, looks like a small rocket engine.

I wish I could make out the blue book binding on the lower edge.
    Also the yellow book under the photos and thick envelope.

If that label said 1986, I would guess it may be about building, or conceptulizing Tomorrowland. I wonder if it's actually a file on Walt. Like the FBI is suspecting Walt of building the future.

• Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

I believe that's a rubber eyepiece of some sort.

As I said, that's an issue of Amazing Stories. See my previous comment for the link.

• Sock Puppet

The label on the edge of the box is hard to make out but may say 1984.

I wish I could make out the blue book binding on the lower edge.

If that label said 1986, I would guess it may be about building, or conceptulizing Tomorrowland. I wonder if it's actually a file on Walt. Like the FBI is suspecting Walt of building the future.
    This... I'm guessing the film will fictionalize a Walt character as a futurist who actually builds a time travel device.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Sad but true. The days of Disney being a world-class innovator of theme park attractions are long gone. They've devolved from sky's-the-limit creatives to risk-averse corporate marketers of pre-sold, pre-popularized brands. In WED's and WDI's heyday, Disneyland was the brand. Now it's just another of the corporation's brand marketing platforms.
    I would venture to say, they still do. But they are painted with intellectual properties they own.

i wholly believe that TSMM is such a great ride, it would be just as popular minus the toy story. The toy story does add a huge amount of "connection" and is a terrific and fun property.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

I wonder if it's actually a file on Walt. Like the FBI is suspecting Walt of building the future.
    The first photo released on Twitter last week showed the exterior of the closed box with a vintage Walt Disney productions label on it titled 1952. It was made to seemingly appear as if it was from Disney's Archives.

And on the subject of non-industry professionals complaining about WDI's "inability to create anything original", anyone else wonder why there is no similar focus thrust at theme park competitiors such as Universal Studios Hollywood or elsewhere. Where would there profits past, present and future be without Universal Pictures' own Jaws, and Jurassic Park, Paramount's King Kong and Transformers or Warner Brothers' Harry Potter? They are all giving the public what the public has already told them they enjoy and want.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast