Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: Will an Animatronic Tinkerbell Fly Above Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    I read something like this about a month ago. Each Tinker Bell gets paid something like $700 per "flight" to frontierland. It sounds like fun. I have zipped lined before. Maybe instead of pulling out my credit card to reup my AP, they could just make me fly for one night a year. Although, leaping from a fake mountain sounds pretty intimidating.
    It is NO WHERE near that much. Contrary to popular belief, the flying Tink is not a highly paid position. Yes, it is more than you average CM at the resort. But, geeze, not $700 a night for two hours at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    $$$
    Wouldn't really save that much getting rid of the human performer. If it was an animatronic puppet, you'd really only be cutting the Tink performer and her costumer/dresser. All the techs for the flying rig would still be there. And now lets add in the maintenance costs of the animatronic and you lose any savings from making it animatronic in the first place.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Wouldn't really save that much getting rid of the human performer. If it was an animatronic puppet, you'd really only be cutting the Tink performer and her costumer/dresser. All the techs for the flying rig would still be there. And now lets add in the maintenance costs of the animatronic and you lose any savings from making it animatronic in the first place.
    Human performer + backup performer + crew + insurance has gotta cost 'wayyyy more than sending an animatronic down a wire (an animatronic which, because it will be seen at a great distance, doesn't need to be as complex as Mr. Lincoln).

Add the cost of the special safety equipment and rigging required for an aerialist, and the cost of keeping it inspected and in good repair, and we're talking about a no-brainer for Disney's beancounters.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The Tomorrowland One

Human performer + backup performer + crew + insurance has gotta cost 'wayyyy more than sending an animatronic down a wire (an animatronic which, because it will be seen at a great distance, doesn't need to be as complex as Mr. Lincoln).

Add the cost of the special safety equipment and rigging required for an aerialist, and the cost of keeping it inspected and in good repair, and we're talking about a no-brainer for Disney's beancounters.
    As far as I know, there is no "backup performer" on property for Tink. Its a one performer deal. They know their schedules like a month (or more) in advance. Any call out can be filled with plenty of time.

Crew to operate a flying rig with a human performer is likely the same as a crew needed to work a flying rig with an animatronic on it. You still need the techs to work the system and hook into the rigging any human or puppet.

This would have to be a rather complex animatronic. It would be self contained and need to have somewhat fluid motion to it that would be controlled wirelessly by the SMPTE running the fireworks show. Yes, she may be far away, but if it moves stiffly like a robot, it will be rather obvious.

I would think the equipment for a human aerialist is about the same as would be needed for an animatronic.
    -2 track cables with 2 lighter gauge back ups in case of failure of one of the primary track cables (a la Palm Springs Aerial Tram).
    -2 position control cables (like haulage ropes on tramways), active and running back up.
    -2 height control cables, active and running back up.
    *this is all my conjecture, no fact to back this up. Just taking what I know from the likes of aerial tramways and adding in the height control*
    And I would hope they keep the same safety inspections and maintenance if it is a human or animatronic on the rigging.

Again, the biggest cost cut I see here is the lack of a performer and the associated dresser for that performer. And what little savings that provides I see being offset by the extra employees needed to care for and maintain the animatronic puppet.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I think this would runin tradition. I would be better to keep it a human. Now if she had a jet pack the would be way cooler but that is off topic. I think as Autopia said above that the costs would be the same for a puppet as for a human and the puppet could weigh the same or more than the current actrist. It just matters who Disney is hiring at the moment CMs or Imaginners?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• They call me the Mayor...

$$$
    I second that
    Pour still another glass,
    In Pinacoladaberg.
    Coconut milk with a pineapple splash.
    Donít forget that the Rum comes third!

• They call me the Mayor...

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    It is NO WHERE near that much. Contrary to popular belief, the flying Tink is not a highly paid position. Yes, it is more than you average CM at the resort. But, geeze, not $700 a night for two hours at work.

Back when Tink was a "face" she was the highest paid cast member at Disneyland. She made an hourly rate and also was paid per jump. I don't know what the current Tinks make, but I'm sure their rate isn't as high since they don't show their face anymore.
    Last edited by Coconut Pete; 01-29-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    Pour still another glass,
    In Pinacoladaberg.
    Coconut milk with a pineapple splash.
    Donít forget that the Rum comes third!

• Banned User

If they succeeded in creating an animatronic Tinkerbell that worked, guess what the next project would be? That's right - animatronic CMs.

• Just drawn that way

While Tink does get payed a nice amount........that doesn't include insurance....ay least I heard that during an audition I did in 2000. Back then I was told the person picked would make 400 a flight.
    Little and broken, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    You'd have the same problems with an animatronic Tink flying. I don't think the FAA would allow a Tinkerbell drone to be flown over Disneyland.
    I know for WDW, company aircraft are exempt from these flight restrictions.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I know for WDW, company aircraft are exempt from these flight restrictions.
    Which relates to their dragon project, I assume. WDW had an animatronic dragon fly around for the grand opening of New Fantasyland which, based on my limited knowledge of this kind of thing, seems like the same technology proposed for the new Tink.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If they could make an animatronic Tinkerbell do this, I'll buy.

Do what? Obliterate the park into a raging acid trip??

I'm in.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Which relates to their dragon project, I assume. WDW had an animatronic dragon fly around for the grand opening of New Fantasyland which, based on my limited knowledge of this kind of thing, seems like the same technology proposed for the new Tink.
    Ugh. While the dragon was really awesome, I don't think replacing a noticeable cable line with a noticeable parachute is anything more than a lateral move.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

I don't know if I'd fly something like that that close to fireworks.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Here comes the dragon again. First off that dragon had a shorter life than do most of the Limited Time Magic offerings. I think building the dragon was a proof of concept not for the show. If they were going to fly it more than we would have seen it again. The idea is for Imagineering to building moblie anamatronics and from what I could tell from the video that dragon could have been a gaint kite with a string. Replacing Tinkerbell would be a lot more difficult because you would have to get the imagery just right and do it everynight where having a CM doing it makes for a great show.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12