Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Dancing to return inside Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by mark sharp View Post
    If the Disney Company isn't what it used to be. Neither are the guests. They used to be so well-mannered and actually would get dressed-up to go to Disneyland. Now they are so pushy and dress like slobs. And for most of Disneyland’s existence smoking was allow throughout the park. Hey even Uncle Walt smoked like a chimney. In fact, Disneyland used to have a tobacco shop on Main Street where guests could buy pipes and tobacco from around the world along with cigars and cigarettes. The Disneyland smoke shop stood until 1991! Sadly, the Disney Company (aka the company that isn’t what it used to be) in their glorious wisdom decided that times have changed and that it was no longer kosher to sell cigarettes in Disneyland or to have some guests blowing smoke in the faces of other guests while waiting the queues. Ha. The nerve.
    Um, ok .....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Doombuggy Rider

SIGH - I miss the live swing music and swing dancing already .... judging from the artist rendition of what the new Fantasy Faire Stage looks like? I do not see this hosting live swing music and dancing - but I can see this favorite Disneyland activity of mine moved to another location ...

Over by the new Jolly Holiday Bakery? I think not! (No canopy and no space for a live band and dancing) ....

Over to DCA in Buena Vista Street? It sounds like a good idea (logistics wise) since there is room to place a canopy, stage, dance area. I would miss the original location @ Disneyland (next to Sleeping Beauty's Castle), but I just don't see live swing music and swing dancing happening in Fantasy Faire ....

The failure by Team Disney Anaheim to continue this tradition will be met with a lot of "Boos" & "Hisses" ....

Name:  carnation-plaza-gardens.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  100.4 KB

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

•   
    • Minion

This might be anathema, but how about Tomorrowland Terrace? It would probably be more fun to see swing dancing over there than the cover band on Saturday nights. Thematically it's totally out of whack but no more so than the Fantasy Faire.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Yes, in the original press release, they said something along the lines of the swing dancing being a Disneyland tradition, and that it would indeed return to the stage area when construction is complete.
    A Disneyland Tradition? Like the employee holiday party?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Why would anyone want to swing dance in an area made to look like a princess meet and greet? The whole draw of the event was the vintage 50's look of the dance floor. It was already ruined by changing the area, I doubt it will be nearly as popular. It would be far more appropriate to move the event to Buena Vista Street in some fashion. This is the same tactic Disney uses whenever they want to remove something permanently from the park that is either historic or nostalgic. First downgrade or provide inadequate funds, then hope everyone will lose interest so they aren't held directly responsible by fans. Submarine Voyage was a great example of this.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 01-31-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    A Disneyland Tradition? Like the employee holiday party?
    Eggzactly.

• Dream in wonderful color!

A media tour of fantasy faire this morning. During Q & A question came up about swing dancing and they said a decision will be made later, for now full time fantasy faire (reported by mouseplanet via Twitter). So pretty much swing dancing is never coming coming back to this area anytime soon.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Well DCA would make a lot more sense, the time period is accurate with the main Swing craze isnt it?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Well DCA would make a lot more sense, the time period is accurate with the main Swing craze isnt it?
    Yes, it makes more sense on BVS. Now, where to put it............

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Yes, it makes more sense on BVS. Now, where to put it............
    That's what I originally said, that Disney would move it to BVS. No offense but just because someone says their "bf" is on the project doesn't mean anything to me. I will be like others, will have to literally see it back in the cluster area of Fantasy Faire, a place where it makes ZERO SENSE to be.

The only place it makes sense is DCA's BVS.

I just don't get why people have to have it in the same place.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    That's what I originally said, that Disney would move it to BVS. No offense but just because someone says their "bf" is on the project doesn't mean anything to me. I will be like others, will have to literally see it back in the cluster area of Fantasy Faire, a place where it makes ZERO SENSE to be.

The only place it makes sense is DCA's BVS.

I just don't get why people have to have it in the same place.
    Well, there is a sense of familiarity involved with the now gone Carnation Gardens.
    It now doesn't make sense to have it in the PFF as badly as the styles would clash
    and makes perfect sense to have it in BVS now.

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    A media tour of fantasy faire this morning. During Q & A question came up about swing dancing and they said a decision will be made later, for now full time fantasy faire (reported by mouseplanet via Twitter). So pretty much swing dancing is never coming coming back to this area anytime soon.
    Confirming what was written earlier, here's another report on the media event on Thursday from the website Inside the Magic, which was retweeted by Dateline Disneyland this afternoon: Behind the Walls Preview: Fantasy Faire to open March 12 as new Disneyland princess home, leaving swing dancing behind | Inside the Magic.

Here's the exact quote:

Extending the castle walls and Fantasyland borders, Fantasy Faire replaces the much-beloved Carnation Plaza Gardens, former home to regular swing dancing, dating all the way back to Walt Disney’s own days enjoying the park. The former dancing floor is being transformed into the Royal Theater.

Though the new area still contains a stage for performances, the decision on when swing will return has yet to be decided, dedicating all of Fantasy Faire’s time to princesses – for now. In the meantime, swing dancing can be enjoyed at Downtown Disney on select nights, even if that’s not really where fans want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Confirming what was written earlier, here's another report on the media event on Thursday from the website Inside the Magic, which was retweeted by Dateline Disneyland this afternoon: Behind the Walls Preview: Fantasy Faire to open March 12 as new Disneyland princess home, leaving swing dancing behind | Inside the Magic.

Here's the exact quote:

Extending the castle walls and Fantasyland borders, Fantasy Faire replaces the much-beloved Carnation Plaza Gardens, former home to regular swing dancing, dating all the way back to Walt Disney’s own days enjoying the park. The former dancing floor is being transformed into the Royal Theater.

Though the new area still contains a stage for performances, the decision on when swing will return has yet to be decided, dedicating all of Fantasy Faire’s time to princesses – for now. In the meantime, swing dancing can be enjoyed at Downtown Disney on select nights, even if that’s not really where fans want it to be.
    It really is funny to hear Disney's total 180 on the subject of the swing dancing coming back to Main Street. Here is Erin Glover, manager of social media and print for Disney, announcement regarding the dancing back in August, 2011:
    And at night, the Fantasy Faire Stage will come alive with the classic music and dance offerings that Disneyland park guests have loved for years.
    New Fantasy Faire Experience Coming to Disneyland Park « Disney Parks Blog

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Why would anyone want to swing dance in an area made to look like a princess meet and greet? The whole draw of the event was the vintage 50's look of the dance floor. It was already ruined by changing the area, I doubt it will be nearly as popular. It would be far more appropriate to move the event to Buena Vista Street in some fashion. This is the same tactic Disney uses whenever they want to remove something permanently from the park that is either historic or nostalgic. First downgrade or provide inadequate funds, then hope everyone will lose interest so they aren't held directly responsible by fans. Submarine Voyage was a great example of this.
    ka-Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The dancing on Main Street wasn't period appropriate either. The 1950s swing dancing seems out of place. I think the stage was far removed and people didn't give it a second thought that perhaps they should do 1890s music and have the guests dress in Victorian garb like what you see in "Hello Dolly".

Goodness, let's have Elizabeth of "Pride and Prejudice" on the dance floor. Or maybe we can get over it and get back to swing dancing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast