Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Dancing to return inside Disneyland?

My question is, if they are planning to move swing dancing to BVS, wouldn't they have done it already? They wouldn't have to wait for any construction. It's done.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

I'm guessing the reason we haven't heard yet is because Disneyland management is probably going to wait and see if there is enough interest in the Princess offerings into the evening. If the area is still super-crowded in the evenings when the big bands used to play, they will hold off scheduling bands until all of the activity dies down.

If all of the younger children with parents are no longer mobbing the area by 6 pm and the area turns back into a ghost-town by evening, I'm sure they'll start scheduling bands immediately. However, I think they are anticipating that the desire for princess meet and greets goes much better than expected in which case they will simply operate it like they do all day long. Maybe this situation will last for several months, and once the initial excitement dies down swing dancing will return.

• Minion

It's not really fair if they run the new princess meet n greet all day long, because even the very popular and busy Pixie Hollow, the old Princess Fantasy Faire, and Tangled have always closed down around 5:30-6:00 each evening. There really is no justifiable reason for Disney to not bring back the swing dancing on Friday and Saturday nights, other than maybe the fact that they're just big meanies.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    It's not really fair if they run the new princess meet n greet all day long, because even the very popular and busy Pixie Hollow, the old Princess Fantasy Faire, and Tangled have always closed down around 5:30-6:00 each evening. There really is no justifiable reason for Disney to not bring back the swing dancing on Friday and Saturday nights, other than maybe the fact that they're just big meanies.
    Name:  meanie.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  8.7 KB
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Meet and Greets tend to have some of the longest lines in that park. Disney has stated the new Royal Hall meet and greet location will be open all day. This means many may be able to meet the princesses without a huge wait by visiting during the morning and night.

The Royal Theatre hours have not been announced yet.

• film975

I keep wondering why this is even debatable when Tom Staggs announced at the last D23 Expo that Swing dacing was still gonna happen on the weekend evenings at the Royal Theatre of the new Fantasy Faire. Here's a video of the original announcement that I have embedded below which starts at 5:45.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I keep wondering why this is even debatable when Tom Staggs announced at the last D23 Expo that Swing dacing was still gonna happen on the weekend evenings
    Because there are reasons why it may not be a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Swing dancing in Fantasy Faire would be a mighty big anachronism and I'm surprised that no one else is showing any hesitation yet...

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It would, granted the new themeing could influence a change in the style of dress, music and dance.

The Royal Hall meet and greet has been announced to run into the night, so that would add to the conflict of themeing as well.
    The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.
    So will the play conflicting swing, or will they play more fitting waltzes?

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Hey, according to Al it looks like my guess was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Al's column today
    The Downtown Disney bandstand will also be getting a refurbishment for better audio and lighting, as TDA wants to keep the new Fantasy Faire operating as a meet n greet facility right through park closing time. The swing dancing wont be returning to Disneyland anytime soon at its old Plaza Gardens locale, and by beefing up the offerings in Downtown Disney for swing dancing its hoped they can keep that small but vocal AP crowd happy while still keeping them out of the park itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    I'm guessing the reason we haven't heard yet is because Disneyland management is probably going to wait and see if there is enough interest in the Princess offerings into the evening. If the area is still super-crowded in the evenings when the big bands used to play, they will hold off scheduling bands until all of the activity dies down.

If all of the younger children with parents are no longer mobbing the area by 6 pm and the area turns back into a ghost-town by evening, I'm sure they'll start scheduling bands immediately. However, I think they are anticipating that the desire for princess meet and greets goes much better than expected in which case they will simply operate it like they do all day long. Maybe this situation will last for several months, and once the initial excitement dies down swing dancing will return.

I still think the resort is greatly improved by putting swing dancing in Downtown Disney. Better ambiance, more participation. It used to be shoved into a forgotten corner and now is a centerpiece of Saturday night entertainment.

Hey, according to Al it looks like my guess was right!
    Al said:
    The swing dancing won’t be returning to Disneyland anytime soon at its old Plaza Gardens locale, and by beefing up the offerings in Downtown Disney for swing dancingits hoped they can keep that small but vocal AP crowd happy while still keeping them out of the park itself.
    That's the way Disney, keep alienating them AP's......

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    That's the way Disney, keep alienating them AP's......
    Funny thing is, I used to be a Premium Annual Passholder just so I could get into Carnation Plaza on Saturday nights for the dancing. Ever since they moved the dancing to Downtown Disney, I stopped renewing my pass completely. And whenever I go by there, none of the dancers I knew who had passes are there anymore - the dancers I see are the ones who never would go to Disneyland because they didn't want to pay for the pass.

So basically, Disneyland traded a small number of paying customers for a much larger group of non-paying customers!

Funny thing is, I used to be a Premium Annual Passholder just so I could get into Carnation Plaza on Saturday nights for the dancing. Ever since they moved the dancing to Downtown Disney, I stopped renewing my pass completely. And whenever I go by there, none of the dancers I knew who had passes are there anymore - the dancers I see are the ones who never would go to Disneyland because they didn't want to pay for the pass.

So basically, Disneyland traded a small number of paying customers for a much larger group of non-paying customers!
    Sometimes things Disney does just boggles the mind.
    BTW-do you remember the old couple who would dress alike and dance at the Plaza Gardens? If so, are they still with us?

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Sometimes things Disney does just boggles the mind.
    BTW-do you remember the old couple who would dress alike and dance at the Plaza Gardens? If so, are they still with us?
    Are you talking about Rose and Dubby? They danced there for 40 years! Sadly, they both passed away many years ago. This is a nice writeup about them:

Rose and Dubby, Disneyland Swing Dance couple, join Walt | The Disney Blog

I was fortunate to have seen them many nights, and they were always appreciated by the staff there. They had an anniversary cake and Mickey would join Doc Anello on stage to wish them well. They were always smiling until the very end!

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I still think the resort is greatly improved by putting swing dancing in Downtown Disney. Better ambiance, more participation. It used to be shoved into a forgotten corner and now is a centerpiece of Saturday night entertainment.
    In DTD there are smokers, theft, over-crowding, bad sound systems, 50-50 whether a floor is present, band is cramped on stage, weather et al and still folks have been coming all with the hope to move back inside. At some point, its just not worth it in DTD. Very sad to break this 57 year tradition and their word (many execs at Disney promised which his why they said they kept the main CPG tent area...)

Are you talking about Rose and Dubby? They danced there for 40 years! Sadly, they both passed away many years ago. This is a nice writeup about them:

Rose and Dubby, Disneyland Swing Dance couple, join Walt | The Disney Blog

I was fortunate to have seen them many nights, and they were always appreciated by the staff there. They had an anniversary cake and Mickey would join Doc Anello on stage to wish them well. They were always smiling until the very end!
    Yep, that's them. Sad, they were such nice people and funny! I wondered why I hadn't seen them when I stopped by to watch the dancing these past 4 years. I actually have them on video somewhere.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast