Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: A rule to make everyone have a better experience during outdoor shows

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    There are some good suggestions here. I'll add another that works for us at the World of Color shows. Make sure you get a place with one of the many railed garden sections RIGHT in front of you. Better to stand behind a low fence than a tall person. Not everyone can do this, but you can. We also get the boxed lunches with tickets to the yellow areas...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It seems as though most of the people who justify doing this are upset because their kids' views are blocked...but then they feel perfectly justified in blocking someone else's view.

Consideration for others goes a long way, folks. I do think they should ban this because it has a such a negative impact.

As a short person I cannot see if ANYONE over 4'5" stands in front of me, so I always try to stand someplace where I'm on a railing, etc. and there's no way to get in my path.
    Agree with both comments. But even a railing spot doesn't guarantee your view. We waited 90 minutes for a railing spot with a very tall family behind us. We're pretty short, so they all could easily see over our heads. Then, a few minutes before the show started, I heard the father tell the family in his native language, "When the show starts, push those people out of the way." Uh... right. I told my group to stand firm because there might be trouble and gave the dad behind us a calm stare to let him know that I had heard him. He backed off and there was no shoving match. But just the fact that he thought that his plan was acceptable behavior and would work... And I've heard friends say that they were shoved aside from their railing spot by rude people (usually using kids as their excuse) at the last moment before showtime.
    Last edited by PascalGal; 01-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I have a better IDEA why can't they make everyone sit down like in Tokyo Disneyland.

One of my co-worker said when he went to Tokyo Disneyland they asked everybody to sit down during the parade, so everybody can see it. He also said everyone over there were so well organized and super friendly compared to the state.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• I'm a fiddle player......

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    I have a better IDEA why can't they make everyone sit down like in Tokyo Disneyland.

One of my co-worker said when he went to Tokyo Disneyland they asked everybody to sit down during the parade, so everybody can see it. He also said everyone over there were so well organized and super friendly compared to the state.
    I waited for Soundsational on a bench in the hub, and I remembered from before or I thought I remembered, they asked everyone to stay seated. So I thought a bench was perfect. But as the parade got closer some people stood right in front of us. I thought it was ok since the parade had not started yet and someone would come tell them to sit, but to my suprise no one did and they didnt care they were standing right in front of us. If everyone sat, then everyon could see, specially the little ones.

• Minion

As someone who stands a whopping 4'3" tall, this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Waiting for any show becomes a source of anxiety because you never know who will start shoving their way in front of you at the last minute, or suddenly decide to hoist a kid on their shoulders. Once the music starts for fireworks and you see a wave of kids popping up on shoulders like popcorn...it's really quite staggering. All it takes is one person and it starts a chain reaction, and suddenly you have a crowd full of 7+ foot tall people. Sorry, but your kid doesn't need to be THAT high up for fireworks. They're in the SKY. But thanks, now that you've made a 7+ ft wall of people, 4 ft me can barely even see the sky.

The WoC viewing area is now totally off my radar of places to watch a show because it was so poorly thought out I can't even stand it. There are only so many places to stand against railings. The rest of the people trying to watch are basically SOL unless really tall, which is why the shoulder sitting is so out of control for WoC. Yeah, they can fit more people in there if they're standing, but how many of them are really seeing the show?? I think if they made the viewing area SEATED, less people could fit in the area, but more people would be able to, ya know, actually WATCH the show instead of standing there craning their neck every which way and wondering what's going on.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by RSZero1 View Post
    Really could be solved if they didnt make the viewing areas standing room only. If everyone sat down, small kids could see just fine - and most times - except for summer - the viewing areas arent full anyway.
    This works somewhat OK for parades and Fantasmic but WOC has rails & planters everywhere that would obstruct nearly everyone's view if they sat down. You can't lower the rails because guests would fall into the planters and you can't eliminate the planters because it would be too hard to keep guests penned up in the viewing sections. The first step for Disney would be to get rid of the seating sections and dining packages.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The rule should be... Disney must stop creating show arenas that have no seating. All viewing areas must have bench seating.
    Like Fantasmic at WDW?

Name:  Fantasmic-crowd.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  155.4 KB

Unfortunately Anaheim doesn't have the space to do this. Either they'd have to build arena seats that would be an fantastic eyesore or they'd have to drastically limit the amount of guests that can see a given show, and if they ran more shows they'd have to spend more money.

I don't see why this wouldn't work here in the states. I wonder if they don't ask people to sit down because it minimizes the amount of people that can be packed into a given viewing area.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Last edited by monster heck; 01-30-2013 at 12:23 AM.

• New Mommy

I thought he was saying he only wants to ban the idiots, not the normal people.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think I can agree with SoCalbma.

This would make the problem go away. My only other concern would be to be able to enforce it. A PA anouncment would help but the CM along the parade route would have to do it as well. For Fantasmic at DL they do this for the front sections because the guys at the control boths would not be able to work behind a wall of 7ft+ people. But what about WoC; I think the entire area would have to rework back to the way it was with the stair step statium. This would solve that issue and There would be no prime spot in the row of steps.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Make sure you get a place with one of the many railed garden sections RIGHT in front of you.
    I would add "and then hang onto the railing" to this. I've stood at railings only to have people worm their way in front of me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Unfortunately Anaheim doesn't have the space to do this. Either they'd have to build arena seats that would be an fantastic eyesore or they'd have to drastically limit the amount of guests that can see a given show, and if they ran more shows they'd have to spend more money.
    It will take great effort to retrofit existing areas with retractable seating, but it can be done, but there will be less seating due to the size of the area. They need to have a better walk ways. They need new paths so people will not walk in front of the river for Fantasmic since all space should be used for viewing the show.

Perhaps they can do a combination of seating and standing. The areas closest to the show railing will have seating, with the areas furthest away will have standing.

I don't see why this wouldn't work here in the states. I wonder if they don't ask people to sit down because it minimizes the amount of people that can be packed into a given viewing area.
    Sitting down means less room for guests. That's why they ask people to stand up.

Its sad that the problems are caused by the shows being too popular. They need to run more shows.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Interesting problem to say the least to which there is no good answer. Perhaps Disney could do better to create a viewing area to better ensure that all people can see.

• Banned User

Some people are not comfortable sitting down but I don’t see why they could not have sit-down-only sections at some venues. I also think they could add a viewing platform on top the Little Mermaid show building.
    Last edited by mark sharp; 01-30-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Adding thoughts

• Banned User

It seems odd that they cannot have an early evening show. The shows don't start until at least 8:30pm in the summer months when it can get dark at 7pm. They should have 3 shows day, and a fourth show on extra crowded nights.

As a Passholder, I do find this really irratating, and I like the poster who said that it's ironic that these people put their kids on their shoulders so that they can see, but don't think about blocking the people behind them. I try and have common courtesy, if I've seen a show before, then I will give my space to shorter people (I'm 5'6")or people who have never seen the show. Yet there are times when I'm taking pictures or actual video, but I do look around and try and stand where I'm not blocking anyone's view. I go to the T Party a lot to take pictures and occasional video, I try and compromise between getting good shots and be courteous to others. And there is a guy there who's always got his iPad out. I will say the thing that annoys me most is you've got a spot and you may be taking pictures or just watching and some moron comes in and takes this tight spot in the middle of the show. Or better yet, the morons who have to come in and take their pictures right in front of you during the show.

• -

One of my co-worker said when he went to Tokyo Disneyland they asked everybody to sit down during the parade, so everybody can see it.
    It looks like they listen about as well over there as they do here. While some are sitting in this video, there are tons who are also standing.

Quote Originally Posted by mark sharp View Post
    I also think they could add a viewing platform on top the Little Mermaid show building.
    That would be a great place to put one, but the viewing angle may be less than ideal from there.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast