Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: A rule to make everyone have a better experience during outdoor shows

I had a terrible time seeing WOC the first time because of people holding their kids too high and because of tall people in general. I wish the standing arrangement was better.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Chief Troublemaker

I've never tried to see WOC. My husband is 6'5", I'm 5'5". He won't stand near the front because he doesn't want to block someone's view. Standing in the back, I can't see. From what this thread says, it seems to be a moot problem because the only people who can see are the kids sitting on their parent's shoulders!

Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever mention to these parents that they were blocking the view of those behind them?

My friend & I (both about the same height) are hoping that the crowds will be low enough when we're there (end of Feb, during the week) that we'll be able to actually 'see' WOC. Gee, maybe we should see it twice. The first time I'll sit on her shoulders, the second time she can sit on mine! NOT!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever mention to these parents that they were blocking the view of those behind them?
    I asked one of the guys in front of me if he could lower his child because he was blocking me and his response was, "you should have got here earlier."
    I chose not to argue the point that I had been sitting on the concrete waiting for over 45min and just held my camera up in the air and watched a majority of the show through the LED screen.

The issue is the fact that Paradise Pier is all level. They should have remodeled the viewing areas to be somewhat stadium like with levels so the people in the back could see more than the water jets that shoot high up into the air and the lighting on the rollercoaster and ferris wheel.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post

Yep. The politest response you can expect is stony silence.

But even so, they would have to have some pretty serious cognitive impairment not to know it without being told.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I had a terrible time seeing WOC the first time because of people holding their kids too high and because of tall people in general. I wish the standing arrangement was better.

As someone who is 6í4, I try to be aware of people around me when Iím viewing shows or at concerts. But itís not always as simple as moving out of someoneís viewing angle. A lot of times itís already cramped quarters, and if I move to the either side I will block someone elseís view. One time at WOC I let the people behind me stand in front of us. I was with my girlfriend who is tall as well. (5í11) and then the people that where behind them complained so I let them in front of me and the next thing you know Iím almost at the back of the show and then I have a crappy view! Lol.

You really canít please everyone. When someone asks me to move I just smile and say Iím sorry and try to do my best. I cannot do anything about my height and I feel that I should not have to stand at the back of every show and have a crappy distant view just because Iím tall.. Maybe Iím wrong I donít know.

• The doctor is in

I'm not saying punish people who are tall. No one can help what their height is. I think a stronger effort to help keep people from holding their children directly in front of you would help, though. A majority of the time the CM's will tell people to lower their kids but that is only if they put them on their shoulders.

•   
    • Minion

No, I wouldn't want to slam or punish tall folks either. None of us can help what our height is, whether it's tall or short. I think the OP in this thread, and most of us, are really talking about things that people CAN help, such as going from 5'5" person to a 6'2" one because they've decided to put their child up on their shoulders. Or even people that wear huge hats and don't think about taking them off so others can see.

Other than that the only time I really mind is when I'm already standing there and someone tall strolls over and plunks himself or herself right in front of me, or pushes me out of the way on the railing. Dude. You see me standing there. You see I'm shorter than short. You know if you stand there I can't see. You know if you stand right behind me we both can see. That bothers me because it's obvious that the person doesn't care that s/he is blocking someone else's view.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

This thread is rather funny to me. I remember when I first joined MC, there was a similar thread voicing the same complaints. However, that one went in large favor for letting children stay on the shoulders... I think the argument was that it was very tiring to have to rest them on the hip.

Humorous how the culture and attitude is constantly changing.

Photo Via jdhilger

Haha!!! This thread made me laugh! I thought I was the only one that was bothered by this! Glad to see I'm not the only one
    Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by jmpurcel View Post
    You really can’t please everyone. When someone asks me to move I just smile and say I’m sorry and try to do my best. I cannot do anything about my height and I feel that I should not have to stand at the back of every show and have a crappy distant view just because I’m tall.. Maybe I’m wrong I don’t know.
    You're not Wrong.

• Hooterville, USA

In 2005 we had a heated discussion over the same topic. It's a good read.

children on adult's shoulder for fireworks

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Chief Troublemaker

If you're tall and you are there first, it's up to short me to either find another place or suck it up with a blocked view. The frustration I think is when someone finds a place to watch a show/concert/parade based on the height of the person/people in front of them, only to find that person is suddenly 3 feet taller because they've put a kid on their shoulders or decided to stand on a bench, seat, or planter. Even 5'5" me could block a 6' person's view if I decided to hop up on something 12" off the ground.

Other than an enforced 'EVERYONE must keep their feet on the ground & kids may be lifted no higher than the head of the taller parent' rule I don't know what can be done.

PS. I just can't believe that someone would actually push/force someone away from a railing to get their viewing spot! Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's so incredibly rude! I usually try to let things go, but if it happened to me, I'd plant myself & grab the railing for dear life. Probably 'accidentally' tromp on toes ("Oh, ex-CUSE me! It's so hard to avoid treading on your toes when you're standing SO CLOSE!").
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

A less-tiring alternative to on-the-hip, that still wouldn't block any views: piggy-back. (I tired to post a picture like the OP, but I couldn't figure out how, haha).

There is no way to completely enforce things without turning the park into a police state, but a little announcement before the show wouldn't hurt - it might discourage some people, and it would embolden those who are being blocked to say, "Hey, they just announced that putting children on shoulders is not allowed."

If you are staking out a spot before the show, you can usually get a sense of which people around you might be planning to try to push you out of your spot. I try to give shady-seeming people the stink-eye to let them know I'm on to them.

The iPad recording thing is SO bizarre. Who the heck carries an iPad around with them at Disneyland? Surely anyone with an iPad has an iPhone too -- the camera on my iPhone actually takes BETTER pictures than the iPad.

• No Disassemble!

Just a thought but have any of you ever asked the offender in front of you to perhaps move or at least let them know they're blocking? I typically do this if I find myself in the middle of the pack and there's more than 1 person's view that they're blocking. I've only had to do this twice but both times I found that the people were friendly, empathetic, and apologetic.

I wonder if there's anyone who's confronted someone about blocking and got a negative result?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Just a thought but have any of you ever asked the offender in front of you to perhaps move or at least let them know they're blocking? I typically do this if I find myself in the middle of the pack and there's more than 1 person's view that they're blocking. I've only had to do this twice but both times I found that the people were friendly, empathetic, and apologetic.

I wonder if there's anyone who's confronted someone about blocking and got a negative result?
    See my response to this same question ten posts up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast