Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

A rule to make everyone have a better experience during outdoor shows

On Saturday I was at DCA and was watching WOC in the wet zone of yellow. I had an alright view- I'm really short and there was a tall man in front of me around a foot taller, but I was able to see what I needed to see... until he picked up his son (who I assume was around 8 years old and pretty big) and put him on his shoulders. I ended up leaving before the show finished because I literally could not see a thing. I didn't tell him anything because I didn't want to seem like a jerk- but he probably wouldn't have been able to hear me over the music.
    I totally understand wanting your child to be able to see the show. It's a bummer when your kid can't see anything. But when you put a child on your shoulders, you instantly ruin every single person behind you's view. It really upset me since this is the only time I'll be able to see WOC (this was my first time at DCA, but I'm moving to the east coast in a few days). It's so inconsiderate to block everyone else's view.

So, why not hold your kid like this?
    Name:  Woman-holding-a-child-in-Ma.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  15.2 KB

The kid will be able to see at the same level as the adults around them, and won't obstruct a person's view. This is where the rule will come in. If your child is above your shoulders, you will be asked to leave or to move to a section all the way in the back. This way, if you want your kid to still be on your shoulders and have a better view than everyone else, you have to stand behind everyone else, so no one is behind you.

• Selfie Expert

Re: A rule to make everyone have a better experience during outdoor shows

I have always had this EXACT same thought. Why not keep your kid at eye level, which is fair for everyone??

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Merry 2014!

Makes sense to me. WOC sight lines are directly ahead, not up high like a fireworks display. Plus resting your child on your hip would allow you to delight in seeing your child's face during the show.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    Makes sense to me. WOC sight lines are directly ahead, not up high like a fireworks display. Plus resting your child on your hip would allow you to delight in seeing your child's face during the show.
    They shouldn't do it for the fireworks either.

The other thing they need to do is ban these idiots who feel the need to videotape the shows with their iPads. Really, what does anyone need to be carrying a tablet around Disneyland for in the first place? Let alone raising it above your head to capture a sub-par video of the show and obstructing everyone else's view.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I do have to say that I did that exact thing for fireworks with my brother (he was 4 and I was 18) but now that he is 6 and 75lbs I can't put him on my neck so he has to stand. But for
    WoC we always stood in the back along the fence along the Parade Route. There you don't have anyone in front of you and you see the entire show. The problem with your idea is holding a 40-75lb child in you arms for 20-30 minutes is exahusting. I almost droped my brother when ever I did that. It is a great idea but how are they going to enforce that holdding them that way? I am also short and this problem happens to me all the time but since im an AP I just come back a different night to enjoy the show. I just saying nicely, that' life. Learn ways around hight problems.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• -

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    The problem with your idea is holding a 40-75lb child in you arms for 20-30 minutes is exahusting.
    Then either put the kid down, switch arms, or move somewhere that you are not blocking the view of others. Just because your arms are getting sore is no reason to block the view of other people.

but since im an AP I just come back a different night to enjoy the show.
    Not everyone has that luxury as the OP explained.

I just saying nicely, that' life. Learn ways around hight problems.
    The problem is that most people of shorter stature do try to plan ahead. They stake out a spot where they can either see over people's shoulders or aound them. The problem is that these inconsiderate individuals wait until the show starts to hoist their kid up to their shoulders and at that point it is next to impossible to find a better view.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Seriously, this is one of my Biggest Pet Peeve Ever! when I'm at Disneyland.

One time I took my aunt to see her first fireworks show ever and we waited for at least 45 minutes and when the show started two Dads in front of us who is probably 6' tall put his daughter on top of their shoulders blocking everyone view from the back. I was so furious that we left half way through the show.

Check out this video I filmed 2 years ago during the World of Color Fireworks pre-show. You will be shocked at how many parents put their kids on their shoulders during the first 15 seconds.

Last edited by SoCalbma; 01-29-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

...I just saying nicely, that' life. Learn ways around hight problems.
    And I'm going to say nicely that an important part of life is making consideration of others a priority. Especially as an AP -- you can come back to see the show another time, but the people around you may only have this one opportunity. It never hurts to make some magic for someone else by being thoughtful and considerate. We have seen WOC many times and will continue to do so as long as we have APs. So when we know we can help someone else have a better view, we do what we can to help out. We've met some great people that way.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Then either put the kid down, switch arms, or move somewhere that you are not blocking the view of others. Just because your arms are getting sore is no reason to block the view of other people.

Not everyone has that luxury as the OP explained.

The problem is that most people of shorter stature do try to plan ahead. They stake out a spot where they can either see over people's shoulders or aound them. The problem is that these inconsiderate individuals wait until the show starts to hoist their kid up to their shoulders and at that point it is next to impossible to find a better view.
    Well said on all counts.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by the mermaid View Post
    So, why not hold your kid like this?

The kid will be able to see at the same level as the adults around them, and won't obstruct a person's view. This is where the rule will come in. If your child is above your shoulders, you will be asked to leave or to move to a section all the way in the back. This way, if you want your kid to still be on your shoulders and have a better view than everyone else, you have to stand behind everyone else, so no one is behind you.
    Excellent idea. When people are paying the bucks that Disney charges to enjoy their rides and shows, Disney shouldn't allow other guests to block their view by holding kids on their shoulders -- any more than the management of a theater would allow kids to sit on parents' shoulders and block other patrons' view of a movie or stage show.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I just saying nicely, that' life. Learn ways around hight problems.
    No!
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Nor Cal AP'er

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    They shouldn't do it for the fireworks either.

The other thing they need to do is ban these idiots who feel the need to videotape the shows with their iPads. Really, what does anyone need to be carrying a tablet around Disneyland for in the first place? Let alone raising it above your head to capture a sub-par video of the show and obstructing everyone else's view.
    THIS,I wish I had a slingshot everytime I see this....smh!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Hold on, I am just saying that people are not going to solve this with a policy change. Americans are of the "Me first" mentality. I have worked around the problem and I am shorter than most people being 5'6''. I hate it too but I do find ways around it. Like I suguested from my first post stand at the back of WoC section, it has a better view and less people you will be right in front of the planters. Being an AP I can give advice like that or to watch fireworks stand at the Train Station steps or at Carnation Cafe section of Main Street or move to its a small world, or catch the second viewing of Fantasmic or stand behind the middle control tower, or even to watch the parade stand at its a small world mall on the raised area. I have the convenice of being able to say this with expirance and having to do it with a (heavy) young child that I could not raise up. Go ahead ask me, I'm a AP!
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Banned User

I can understand putting a small child (up to around age 4 or so, maybe 5 or 6 max) on one's shoulders for a short time, as long as one is not blocking the view of other people behind you (and that's a major consideration), but 8 years old is pretty ridiculous. By 8 the kid should be able to find a way to get a good view, whether that means sneaking down front or going to some elevated area in the back or what have you.

Honestly, I don't have a problem telling some selfish jerk that he's blocking my view and other people's view of the show. A lot of people are just plain thoughtless and aren't taught to consider others in their actions, so we, the others, have to remind them that, yeah, hey, buddy, we're here too, y'know, and we paid to get in here and watch this show too, y'know, so, y'know, MOVE somewhere else or get the kid off your shoulders.

And if they have a problem with it, that's when I shut up, and instead go grab a CM or, better yet, call for security.

• Minion

I'm guessing that the #1 reason they don't make a policy about it is that they would then have to pay to have enough CM's and security on hand to enforce it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast