Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Comfy walking shoes that are not Crocs?

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    When I am not working I am almost always in Converse All-Stars, but they tend to hurt my feet when I wear them a full day in the park.
    I like to call those, "concrete socks".

Quote Originally Posted by taylorear View Post
    I guess I'm one of those people who values comfort over style... I am a proud wearer of crocs at Disneyland! I have some of their mary-jane styles that aren't quite as visually offensive, but offer the same comfort factor. I have horrible back problems (multiple herniations) and have a lot of trouble with swollen feet/ankles as a result of some nerve/back problems. Out of all of the shoes I have tried, I have found crocs to be the most comfortable in terms of all-day wear. I also like the fact that they can get wet and will dry off in a few minutes.

Another thing that I have found helpful is to pack two different pairs of shoes, with slightly different style insoles and change them out mid-day. Something about the change in type of shoe/support seemed to help my feet from feeling overly sore at the end of the day.

I am really interested in this thread, as I am about to embark on my first Disney World trip, and I know that involves a lot more walking!
    A friend of mine has that same problem! As for WDW, I would just go with whatever you normally wear to the parks. Just make sure they're broken in!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I like to call those, "concrete socks".
    They definitely aren't the most comfortable shoes if you plan on being on your feet all day. Especially on hard surfaces like concrete and pavement.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Thanks for all the input! I have learned the hard way that the most important factor is lots of cushioning for my soles. There is a store not too far from me that sells lots of New Balance shoes, so I will likely go that route and see what I can find. Gel inserts are probably in my future as well.
    Remember, it's not only the cushioning that matters. I thought the same when I got my last pair of work shoes. I was ok for the majority of my shift, but my feet were usually killing me by the end of the shift. This time around, I got a pair of insoles called SuperFeet. They are rather stiff (the heel and arch support is actually a plastic piece under the padding on top), so you would think they would be uncomfortable. But the opposite is true. They give AMAZING support to my feet. I can now do 8-12 hr shifts and my feet are pain free at the end of the day.

I ended up getting the "blue" SuperFeet insoles. I think its the all around one they make. It took a day or two to get used to the feeling of the insoles. But now I will always use them for being on my feet a lot.

If that's not something you'd like to do, I will also recommend NewBalance. I have a pair for my everyday use. But I don't know how we'll they'd hold up for me for an 8-12 hr day on my feet.

I second whoever said go to The Walking Company. Great variety of super comfy shoes.
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

• The doctor is in

There are these insoles called SOLE that a lot of us use in the boots. You put them into the oven and when you step on them it molds exactly to your foot. Once you put them in your shoes the insole fits your foot perfectly.

I would recommend trying those, as well.

• Minion

I know you said no crocs however I go to the park every weeked for the entire day in both park. I always where crocs and my feet never hurt. Whenever I where anything else my feet are throbbing at the end of the day and I have tried alot of different shoes. Crocs take the prize hands down.

Another vote for New Balance. I get mine on line at www.zappos.com
    Last edited by AhpalovestheDuck; 01-31-2013 at 11:38 PM.

• the rum is always gone

Try the North Face Ultra 50, Ultra 105, or Ultra 106. Yes, I know what you are thinking...the North Face makes shoes? Yes, they do, and these are quite comfortable.

• Just drawn that way

I'm a Vans girl, they are sooooo comfy as long as you break them before you get to the park.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Banned User

Any nylon running shoes will do the job. Nylon works best since they breath. They allow air to pass through your shoes unlike leather, which should be avoided. Get the best padding available. The air shoes works best. Running shoes have a higher heel than other athletic shoes, which makes walking much more comfortable.

The inner padding should be exchanged for gel padding that you can get at any store. Thus, be sure to get a shoe that has sufficient room to add this gel padding. Perhaps the shoe should be a half size larger.

You can buy this gel pad first. Try the new shoe to see if the gel pad fits (remember to remove the existing pad).

Last year, I did 6 open-to-close days at the Disney World parks, and I did them in a single pair of Classic Clog Crocs. I only got one blister the entire week, and it wasn't because of shoe problems (it was due to toes rubbing together because one of them bends inward ever since I broke it a few years ago).

When we got to Epcot on our second day of park-going last year, my friend was already experiencing extreme joint pain and rising blisters from the 14 hours we were at Magic Kingdom the day before (stayed for EMH). I convinced her that Crocs were the way to go, so she bought a pair of Crocs slide sandals, and within minutes, her joint pain went away. She wore them the entire rest of the trip and now she swears by them for trips to theme parks. And she's one of those people who hates Crocs because of how they look. But since she got the sandals, they look like any normal pair, but they have the added comfort of Crocs tech.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    as long as you break them before you get to the park.
    This is so important no matter what kind of shoes you wear. Make sure you break them in before deciding to wear them for an entire day.

I am going to use whatever shoes I get as my gym/errand running shoes shoes for 2 months before we leave to make sure they are broken in.

•   
    • Minion

If Crocs float your boat, why not? They're your feet and the most important thing is that they don't hurt while you're walking around.

I actually admire anyone who is brave enough to wear crocs/flip flops/etc. at the park. I avoid wearing anything with open toes or heels because I'm afraid of the potential damage. It's already too easy to get your toes stubbed/stepped on/run over at the park. I figure that sneakers/shoes provide some protection.

• "Always On The Move..."

I wear a brand called Spira. I get them at a place called The Bone Store and they are amazing! They do a computer mockup of your feet and stride and find the shoe that fits you the best. I swear by the store and by the shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast