Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
    • DCA Is Underrated

Exclamation MONORAIL SHOWDOWN (Educated Debate)

Hi all, I am REALLY into the monorail systems at disney. I've only been to DLR so I can't judge the other monorails at TDL and WDW but I would like to partake in- or at least watch an educated debate on which system is better (not just in capacity or track length,) but also in experience, train quality, cast members, ETC. This is meant for fun so please, no arguing or anything... the 3 teams are DLR, WDW, TDL.
    Thanks, and enjoy the debate!
    *GO DLR*

A cool topic to focus on is WDW's Mark VI system, and the DLR Mark VII system, and any other new adition at TDL.
    Any educated and professional/mature answers in the debate with support will be appreciated!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

Re: MONORAIL SHOWDOWN (Educated Debate)

I prefer the style of Disneyland's, the practicality and of Tokyo's (actually serves as resort wide transportation system), and the dual track system of WDW.

• No Disassemble!

To me the monorail at WDW feels more like a legitimate, but futuristic, transportation system while Disneyland's feels less like that and more like an attraction. Personally I like Disney World's monorail because I've always been a fan of the Mark IV and Mark VI trains and no matter how many times I ride them I'm always fascinated by how fast they can go down the straights.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I like the Mark VII at DL it gives referance back to the Marks I, II, and IIIs. Also I have to say that WDW would get the cake if there monorail system went to the entire resort. I have never been to TDL but from what I understand that HKDL has a intersting system as well. But intil I have been to the rest of the resorts Disneyland takes the cake and the monorails and the CMs.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I like the Mark VII at DL it gives referance back to the Marks I, II, and IIIs. Also I have to say that WDW would get the cake if there monorail system went to the entire resort. I have never been to TDL but from what I understand that HKDL has a intersting system as well. But intil I have been to the rest of the resorts Disneyland takes the cake and the monorails and the CMs.
    There is no monorail at the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

• Just drawn that way

I like the monorail at Dl better.....but I love the fact you can stand on the one in Fl. I haven't been on the one in Fl since 2001.

Is WDW going to upgrade or are they going to wait and get a new one?
    Little and broken, but still good.

•   
    • DCA Is Underrated

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    I like the monorail at Dl better.....but I love the fact you can stand on the one in Fl. I haven't been on the one in Fl since 2001.

Is WDW going to upgrade or are they going to wait and get a new one?
    They're sticking with the Mark VI for at least another 1 or 2 years, since no other train has been designed for WDW's track style yet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only a true Disney fan would build a replica Space Mountain in their back yard. Hell yeah.

• Minion

I like the style of DLR trains

at HKDL they use a light rail system

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak10 View Post
    They're sticking with the Mark VI for at least another 1 or 2 years, since no other train has been designed for WDW's track style yet.
    Huh? The Bombardier Innovia 200 would fit just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    at HKDL they use a light rail system
    There is no internal rail system at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. There is a train station served by a subway line, not light rail. Only the US Disney resorts lack a direct rail connection.

• Disneyland Dreamin'

I thought I had read somewhere that the Disneyland system was designed at something like 7/8 scale to better fit the scale of the park and its architecture. In WDW, the system is actually part of the main transportation system, so with the extra space given the whole area, a full-size system naturally fits better! I am a fan of all of the different types and have only ridden the DL and WDW monorails, but I think each one reflects its surroundings in a complimentary way.

• Under that tree again!

I can't say much about Tokyo, it has nice windows from the outside, but are crowded and mostly go over parking lots. It is nice that they go to each park and all the bigger hotels.

WDW is nice that it is transport from hotel or car to parks and interpark too. I don't like transfering to/from the Epcot line. The trains are old and seem sort of plain.

DLR is nice, I like going through the parks, and best yet riding in the tail or nose. It's also not often crowded like the other two because it's more a ride than transportation.

I don't have any comments about the different systems, other than to say that I have a soft spot in my heart for the tailcone of Disneyland's old Mark V monorails. Ahhh...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by SaabR View Post
    I thought I had read somewhere that the Disneyland system was designed at something like 7/8 scale to better fit the scale of the park
    Since it was one of the first ones made, it's sort of difficult to assign it a specific scale.

I'm only familiar with Disneyland and WDW.

From an aesthetic standpoint, Disneyland's Mark VIIs are nice. From a reliability and quality standpoint, not so much. I can't keep track of the number of times I've been there and discovered only one monorail operating. Fit and finish is pretty bad, too. There's a lot of warped paneling throughout the trains. This is especially noticeable if you look on the edge of the ceiling when you ride in the nose or tail.

WDW's Mark VI monorails look a bit dated, but it amazes me how much more dependable the system is given its fleet size, and how well the current trains have held together over the years.

As far as cast members go, I find most who work the Disneyland Monorail to be friendlier and more helpful than those at WDW.

For both Disneyland and WDW, I don't understand why they didn't build the trains so that the level of the floor is the same as the level of the station platforms. Would certainly make boarding wheelchairs easier.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SaabR View Post
    I thought I had read somewhere that the Disneyland system was designed at something like 7/8 scale to better fit the scale of the park and its architecture. In WDW, the system is actually part of the main transportation system, so with the extra space given the whole area, a full-size system naturally fits better! I am a fan of all of the different types and have only ridden the DL and WDW monorails, but I think each one reflects its surroundings in a complimentary way.
    The Mark IV monorails were smaller than the Mark VIs. Bombardier came to use Walt Disney World's beam size because they bought WED's transit portfolio which became the basis of their current monorail and PeopleMover technologies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast