Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tony Baxter

• Banned User

Re: Tony Baxter

Quote Originally Posted by Moviela View Post
    Folks, please, Tony is old. He retired, but was asked to stay and consult because he is a valuable member of the company.

. . .

The case with Tony is slightly different. Upper management is delighted with his work, and past contributions. Tony made the decision to retire. A fate we all must recognize at some point. Tony will still be on board, but management has gracefully agreed to assign Bruce to be the gatekeeper to assure Tony's talent is best utilized for projects that will make money.
    Tony was upset about his leaving WDI, he was, in effect, forced out as he wanted to continue to work for Disney. Obviously, WDI employees are not encouraged to contact Tony directly and seek his advice, paid or otherwise, and must OK it with Bruce Vaughn, and I doubt that anybody will ask for his help officially within WDI due to politics. Maybe Vaughn or somebody, years down the line will "consult" Tony just to put his name on a project and appease the fans.

Sadly, Tony's days of creating new lands/attractions are over at Disney (unless some key folks get fired).

The only reason that Tony agreed into being forced into retirement was the slim chance that he could be involved on another project.

Obviously, had Tony's . . . "retirement" been under friendly circumstances there would have been major events related to this event, such as special recognition for Tony's long service to the company. He was pushed out the door, there isn't a nice way to sugar coat it.

Tony was all for quality attractions, and had he been in charge of new attractions like Monsters Inc., Mermaid, they'd be closer to the quality of Carsland versus the cheap/clueless attractions they are which obviously weren't supervised by somebody with the good eye that Tony has.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 02-15-2013 at 10:33 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Actually it was after DLP did not do as well as expected that Tony's fall began.
    The timing may have coincided with EDL, but the issue of the park's poor response was ANYTHING but Baxter's fault. The whole reason that the park has become the major success it has achieved is due to Baxter and his team's efforts.

As for the park's "failings", most of that was due to Eisner (over building hotels that the park would take years to fill), marketing (marketed as what the French perceived as a "kiddy park"), and the first park that did not have a general admission ticket available.

Some of the other issues included the French media being very anti-EuroDisneyland and Eisner's negative public comments intended to help Disney get a better financing deal for the whole resort.

But, then having Baxter take the hit for the park's miss worked for senior WDI management.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Marty was promoted by, empowered by, and emulated the management style of the same guy who promoted Paul: Michael Eisner.

The myth that everything was hunky-dory until Frank died is just that -- a myth. Disney's toxic, Eisner-style internal politics were running at full blast within the first few years of Michael's arrival in 1984. What changed after Frank's death in 1994 is that Michael's management style went public.
    There is no question that Eisner management style was a nightmare from the start, but Wells was able to temper many of the situations that came up. As for WDI, things WERE relatively hunky-dory with WDI for the most part. Yes, there were situations where Imagineers were pitted against each other. However, until Wells' death, Baxter had direct contact with Eisner and Wells concerning the projects he was working on, and for the most part, got support from both.

After Wells' death, and Eisner's heart issues, Eisner isolated himself with layers of management and relied on clueless MBA's for financial guidance.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    As for WDI, things WERE relatively hunky-dory with WDI for the most part. Yes, there were situations where Imagineers were pitted against each other.
    Actually, no. After Walt's death, the camaraderie at WDI sharply declined and many of the older, experienced, Walt-generation Imagineers were forced out before Eisner and Wells ever joined Disney. Just look at how Marc Davis was treated by management. Of course, much of that was Marc's own fault, but he was not the only example of politics invading WDI. Even before Wells' death, however, I think things started to get really bad and have never really recovered.

• Sock Puppet

-

I am glad i found this thread....
    So much to think about...so much to ponder....

Last edited by Baxter Manor; 02-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Does anyone know if Tony will still be at the D23 conference this year in August?

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Manor View Post
    -

I am glad i found this thread....
    So much to think about...so much to ponder....

Baxter Manor ... if you want to see more on the same subject .. there's another website I can direct you to. But you got open up your ability to receive 'private messages'. I cannot put it here .. as MC has a policy of not wanting other websites similar itself - posted on the public forum.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Was he scheduled to appear..?

It would be nice to see him out and about.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Baxter Manor ... if you want to see more on the same subject .. there's another website I can direct you to. But you got open up your ability to receive 'private messages'. I cannot put it here .. as MC has a policy of not wanting other websites similar itself - posted on the public forum.
    I think i know the website you are referring to, Tommorowland_1967 and if i am guessing correctly, it was a real eye opener.

I remember stumbling over the thread one very late night and being throughly enlightened and outraged at the same time.

So much to digest....so many different takes on the story.
    Feel free to PM me if you would like.

• Artistic integrity

>>I think i know the website you are referring to, Tommorowland_1967 and if i am guessing correctly<<

Hey FigmentsFriend .... It goes something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Q0pb7_UJU

A real eye opener alright. Just makes you realize how toxic the Walt Disney Co. can really be ... at the executive level.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Ah....i guessed right then.

Thanks, i had a feeling that was the place you were referring to.

I hope Tony is enjoying his days of late. Wonder what he has been up to....

I was at Knott's Berry Farm last week, and I saw someone on the Log Ride with friends. He looked really familiar. When he and his friends got off, it was...Tony Baxter! I later saw them enjoying a show at the Calico Saloon. What if Knott's hired Baxter to be a head designer, like they did with Eddie Sotto during the 80's?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Tony has always admired Knott's, as he was there on the day the Log Ride first opened back in the 60's, and attends Halloween Haunt every year. It would be pretty cool if he got a 'creative' position with the park, but his being there as a guest doesn't necessarily hint at that seeing as he attended it anyway while working for Disney.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSavage View Post
    I was at Knott's Berry Farm last week, and I saw someone on the Log Ride with friends. He looked really familiar. When he and his friends got off, it was...Tony Baxter! I later saw them enjoying a show at the Calico Saloon. What if Knott's hired Baxter to be a head designer, like they did with Eddie Sotto during the 80's?
    Disney execs usually have clauses in their deals that prohibit them from working for the competition for a goodly period of time after leaving Disney; I suspect Tony, as a former Sr. VP, is no different. (Too bad -- as is traditional with Disney "lifers" he undoubtedly is being paid only a fraction of what his creative talent and enormous experience would make him worth outside the berm.) It's moot, anyway -- he's still in an advisory capacity with the Company and in all probability untouchable.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disney execs usually have clauses in their deals that prohibit them from working for the competition for a goodly period of time after leaving Disney; I suspect Tony, as a former Sr. VP, is no different. (Too bad -- as is traditional with Disney "lifers" he undoubtedly is being paid only a fraction of what his creative talent and enormous experience would make him worth outside the berm.) It's moot, anyway -- he's still in an advisory capacity with the Company and in all probability untouchable.
    Cali tho is a VERY difficult place to enforce no compete clauses... so much so most companies don't even bother.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast