Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Rod Miller Retiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Hey, hey, for what it's worth guys, remember we'll always have his protoge Alan.
    The tradition continues...
    Indeed, Morrigoon - you are quite right. It won't be the same without Rod, though - no question. I heard Alan the other night, and he was quite good.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• CM for 4 years!

Alan's a phenomenal player, but it's always hard to lose nostalgia, there's no doubting that. Actually, when I think of Coke Corner, I think of Alan, because I've never heard Rod play there.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Let me add this to the Rod thread.
    I've talked before about the number of times he played "The Entertainer", yes from the movie "The Sting".
    I must admit though, one day when I was bussing tables next door at Plaza Pavillion, I heard him do a ragtime rendition of the Beatles "Norwegian Wood". I almost dropped a plastic tub full of plates!!!
    To Rod fans - what songs do you remember Rod performing that weren't exactly ragtime standards, so to speak?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Blue & Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    To Rod fans - what songs do you remember Rod performing that weren't exactly ragtime standards, so to speak?
    My all time favorite is Rod's ragtime adapatation of "Hawaiian Wedding Song" I love his version.

May I also add...Rod's version of Grandfather's Clock - that one blew my mind.

• Hooterville, USA

He played "When You Wish Upon A Star: for me and I'm sure he's played it a million times before! You wouldn't know it by the enthusiasm he had while playing it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Someone in the "Dapper Dans" current thread referred to the "recent untimely loss" of Rod Miller.

Have I missed something other than the fact that he's no longer performing at the Park? I hope that's all that was meant...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Picard
    and he should have his OWN sound-scape on Coke Corner when others aren't playing.
    OH! That would be wonderful! Whenever I walk by Coke Corner
    and there's no Piano, it seems so empty. They Should have a
    separate soundtrack for just that corner with Rod's music! A special
    permanent tribute for him on that corner would be so appropriate.
    And don't you think that DL would be planning an official party
    to celebrate the magic he has created on Main Street all these years?

Rod, you will be missed, and hope to see you from time to time
    at Coke Corner!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Rod, you will be missed, and hope to see you from time to time
    at Coke Corner!
    I take it, then, that Rod is still "with us" (sigh) - the wording that I mentioned from the other thread had me thinking the worst, I guess.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Someone in the "Dapper Dans" current thread referred to the "recent untimely loss" of Rod Miller.

Have I missed something other than the fact that he's no longer performing at the Park? I hope that's all that was meant...
    NO, NO, NO!

That was me and I'm so sorry that my wording suggested otherwise. I just meant the loss to Disneyland. I really should have phrased that differently. Sorry for the scare.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser
    NO, NO, NO!

That was me and I'm so sorry that my wording suggested otherwise. I just meant the loss to Disneyland. I really should have phrased that differently. Sorry for the scare.
    Thanks, Motorboat - sorry for any scare I might have caused - and I'm VERY glad for that update.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Apparently Rod came by the piano (as a guest) a few days ago and announced he would no longer be doing it.

Johnny is now #1 seniority, and Allan now plays every Saturday and Sunday evening and is #2 (meaning he'd fill in for Johnny if Johnny was doing something else).
    It seems not too long ago that Rod was playing...he DID play in December, right? He was definitely the life of the party while we would wait for fireworks. We will certainly miss him. Is he on some kind of sub list if his back gets better? Like...a part time thing?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

So I sit down with my daughter last Monday, 4/3/06, just to the left of the Disney Vacation Cart to wait for the Fireworks to start, and I hear this AMAZING piano music. I mean, this guy was ON FIRE! And I think to myself...it can't be Rod Miller. I mean...he retired, right?

So I walk over to investigate, and there he is....in a big winter coat, playing like there's no tomorrow. People all around him gawking. If that man has back problems, I'm a codfish. He was TEARING IT UP!!

So....is he back, or did he just pop in for fun?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I so hope he is back. Even if not, what a treat for you. Refer to my earlier posts in this thread for my thoughts about the man.

Barry

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    So I sit down with my daughter last Monday, 4/3/06, just to the left of the Disney Vacation Cart to wait for the Fireworks to start, and I hear this AMAZING piano music. I mean, this guy was ON FIRE! And I think to myself...it can't be Rod Miller. I mean...he retired, right?
    Right - As of the end of January, Rod officially retired for medical reasons. There would be vast amounts of trouble if he played at the park as a guest, even briefly, so he won't. You know that word would get around, and it could cause... enormous problems. But he has been coming by occasionally to keep up with friends.

If the gentleman at the piano last Monday was wearing a straw hat, that was Johnny. He can belt 'em out with the best of 'em, but the style is much different. More Stride and Boogie.

Rod can still play a bit, the arms are willing - it's the right leg that's the big problem. Not enough endurance to run the pedals for more than a song or two at a crack, and certainly not for a 40-hour week.

Sheer Stubborn Willpower can only go so far. For a guy who had his lower back broken and fused 40 years ago and was initially told by the doctors that he would never walk again, he's been doing all right...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Right - As of the end of January, Rod officially retired for medical reasons. There would be vast amounts of trouble if he played at the park as a guest, even briefly, so he won't. You know that word would get around, and it could cause... enormous problems. But he has been coming by occasionally to keep up with friends.

If the gentleman at the piano last Monday was wearing a straw hat, that was Johnny. He can belt 'em out with the best of 'em, but the style is much different. More Stride and Boogie.

Rod can still play a bit, the arms are willing - it's the right leg that's the big problem. Not enough endurance to run the pedals for more than a song or two at a crack, and certainly not for a 40-hour week.

Sheer Stubborn Willpower can only go so far. For a guy who had his lower back broken and fused 40 years ago and was initially told by the doctors that he would never walk again, he's been doing all right...

--<< Bruce >>--
    If it was Johnny, he could pass for Rod's brother. His set included a couple of Joplin rags, "Just a Closer Walk", "When You Wish" and a couple of others. I would SWEAR that it was the same Rod I saw before and is pictured above, but I was pretty exhausted at that point as my daughter had run me into the ground. Probably one too many sour balls at that point as well, I shouldn't wonder. Maybe I imagined the whole thing. But the straw hat thing....yes. I think he was wearing a straw hat. So maybe this was a false alarm. Does Johnny look ANYTHING like Rod?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast