Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Blue & Fuzzy

Rod Miller Retiring?

I heard a rumor that Rod Miller is officially going to retire. Has anyone talked with him lately? I know he has been on medical leave for quite some time now but I was hoping that he would return.

I wish him all the best - I'm really going to miss him.
    Last edited by Sulley; 01-16-2006 at 07:44 AM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Rod Miller Retiring?

Magic 8-Ball Says: "Answer Unclear, Try Again Later"

Rod would love to come back, the arms are fine - but even with various treatments (that I won't go into ) his right leg still isn't anywhere near up to playing for a full 8-hour day. Yes, it's 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off sets, but that's still a LOT of playing - and without the Sustain pedal...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Long Distance Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman

Rod would love to come back, the arms are fine - but even with various treatments (that I won't go into ) his right leg still isn't anywhere near up to playing for a full 8-hour day. Yes, it's 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off sets, but that's still a LOT of playing - and without the Sustain pedal...

--<< Bruce >>--
    Having played a 45 prelude for a late running memorial service, I can fully appreciate that.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman

--<< Bruce >>--
    Please count me in among those who consider Rod Miller just as much a part of Disneyland as...well, I don't know who or what in the park I could think to compare him to.
    During my years of working there he was always so nice to me...and the image of him playing his piano at Coke Corner is a very pleasant one...and one that I hope to experience again.
    I started work there in the mid-70's, not long after the movie "The Sting" was released. Poor Rod must have been asked to play the Scott Joplin theme about 800 times a day back then.
    He'd play it, usually hitting a whacky note here and there to make it fun (and maintain his sanity, I'm sure).
    He'd tell me that guests would come up and ask him to play "The Sting". And he'd look back and say, you mean the song from the movie "The Entertainer"?
    He's such a wonderful man and has contributed so much to the "50 years of magic"...my thoughts and prayers are with him.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Long Distance Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Please count me in among those who consider Rod Miller just as much a part of Disneyland as...well, I don't know who or what in the park I could think to compare him to.
    During my years of working there he was always so nice to me...and the image of him playing his piano at Coke Corner is a very pleasant one...and one that I hope to experience again.
    I started work there in the mid-70's, not long after the movie "The Sting" was released. Poor Rod must have been asked to play the Scott Joplin theme about 800 times a day back then.
    He'd play it, usually hitting a whacky note here and there to make it fun (and maintain his sanity, I'm sure).
    He'd tell me that guests would come up and ask him to play "The Sting". And he'd look back and say, you mean the song from the movie "The Entertainer"?
    He's such a wonderful man and has contributed so much to the "50 years of magic"...my thoughts and prayers are with him.
    I agree with you there, I got introduced to him once a few years ago, a very nice man, extremely talented, and a rare treasure for Disneyland.

• Element of Laughter

If and when he does officially retire, I'd love to be at Disneyland when they dedicate his window.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Hooterville, USA

He truely is a DL treasure. Get well Rod Miller.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Official Mice Chat person

My uncle was very good friends with Rod (he's gone now)... And was actually going to sub for him quite often(he was a great ragtime player)... So when ever we are in the park we always say hi to Rod, we havn't seen him in a few years though. I had no idea he was gone for medical reasons, I hope he gets better.

What are his medical reasons? Is it from years of playing? Or did something happen?

thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

He's been fighting with back problems for some time now, and I don't think it is because of playing, but that didn't help I'm sure.

He watched my kids grow up, and he would always recognize us. He got to know each person who stopped by for a visit. He is a true Disneyland treasure, having played there since the 60s. I hope he can put in a few more years before retireing if that's what he wants.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him for a complete recovery!

~Bob
    Hollywood Gift Collections
    www.startowngifts.com

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Rod Miller is one of my best memories of Disneyland. I was there just before Xmas and am going back in 3 weeks, it's a shame we won't see him.

• Minion

Gosh, Golly, I sure am sad.
    It seems like he's been there my whole life.
    Does anyone know if he will be back at all, in perhaps a smaller capacity?
    He could share a set with that lovely young man he tutored, and who plays on weekends. I forget his name. Rod, it seems trite to say you'll be missed! It's such an understatement. I could sit for an entire set, and then some. It's a big part of my visit.

• CM for 4 years!

DL should develop some new method for Rod to use the "sustain" pedal!! My boyfriend plays piano, and he's a huge fan of Rod. Says he talked to him a while ago, and it was great.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing him play.

I was hoping, someday, he'd be back, and I'd get to.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Rod is not to be forgotten.
    He really took Allen Thompson Jr. under his wing. They did some great music together. I hope Rod can at least come to visit if he has to retire. He has a couple of CD's available.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-18-2006 at 09:38 PM.

• Needs the smell of summer

I won't be back at DL until this summer, I hope I get to see him play again........

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast