Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Re: Losing DisneyAna

Big name brands have always been a part of Disney, it's how Disney was built in the first place. I just hope it's tastefully done like having a small logo under the namr saying serving Starbucks coffee. They're in both parks at Universal Orlando Resort and I'm shure they're already in at WDW so they know how to do it right.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Meh, Main Street died a long time ago. I love the outside facades and all the windows. I like walking down Main Street and smelling the smells, hearing the music, and seeing the sites. But the stuff inside? Meh. One long giftshop and a few eateries. I'm over it. At least now there will be good coffee.
    That's one way to look at it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I have little problem with Starbucks coming to the parks. The coffee Disney serves on property now is pretty bad and while all might not like Starbucks, I think it's safe to say that many do and it is generally a better option (that offers more options) than the coffee menu at, say, Jolly Holiday Cafe. I do, however, think the Market House is a bad location – it just isn't big enough to deal with Starbucks-sized crowds. But this is a lesson Disney will apparently have to learn the hard way. I'm also expecting the lovely Dorothea Redmond-designed interior of the Market House to become a thing of the past as well, which is a shame.

As for Disneyana leaving, it's no great loss. That store has offered very little in the way of new, unique or compelling merchandise in recent years. A lot of its shelf and wall space is dedicated to reprints of Thomas Kinkade paintings and Vinylmation. In any case, Disneyana was Market House space originally anyway. If there's one thing I really hope for is that they can find some way to save the Swift Birthday Cake Room.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I don't understand why Starbucks is coming to Disneyland. Didn't Jolly Holiday get a gourmet coffee machines to serve a better variety of coffee? So wouldn't Starbuck be competing on Jolly Holiday's coffee sales?

I will miss Marke House, sure the coffee was subpar but it was caffeine, cheap, and free refills. When I went to Candlelight and needed some caffeine and warming up I decided on coffee. The CMs at Market House were informing guests about refills and how they are being replaced by Starbucks to get the word out and basically loosing the free refills. Many guests did not know about the refills!

I think moving Starbucks to Jolly Holiday would be a better choice.

• Observer

Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    I think moving Starbucks to Jolly Holiday would be a better choice.
    your a genius, I don't know why I didn't think of it lol. Why not move it to Jolly Holiday, I means they have the room. after the initial grand opening crowds left, the café is pretty much slow. add starbucks to the other offerings at jolly holiday and if they want move the fancy coffee machines to market house. you can even split the jolly holiday in half. one side is food other side is starbucks....

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It's NOT Nescafe.

It's from a vendor called Linda Votaw.

Nescafe would be *worse*.

Without giving full detail, the trend on collectables has gone lower and lower each year.

The polite way is that it is down trending.

The equally correct, but not so nice way of putting it is that the market for these items is dying off, literally.

Collectables is not part of the younger consumer's domain.

These are just general figures, not actual numbers, but some days Disneyana wouldn't make a single sale, or maybe 200 dollars that day. They only make their goal for the day in sales if they have a consigned artwork piece sold that day or there is an event. That's pretty much it.

Bye.
    Bingo. Thank you for someone pointing that out.

Main Street already has a beautifully designed collectable location already, the Disney Gallery, and clearly doesn't need two.

I only hope that theming elements of the Markethouse remain, such as barrels, the stove and checkerboard.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterjunkie View Post
    Big name brands have always been a part of Disney, it's how Disney was built in the first place. I just hope it's tastefully done like having a small logo under the namr saying serving Starbucks coffee. They're in both parks at Universal Orlando Resort and I'm shure they're already in at WDW so they know how to do it right.
    This is how I would like to see it done. I have no problem with the brand. And I have no problem with brands being a part of the Disneyland landscape. As long as they don't interfere too much with the theme. Certainly there will be inconsistencies and theming isn't a perfect art, even at Disneyland. Still I would like to see the Market House maintain its identity.

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    I was speaking to a cast member working in the Disneyana store. and he tells me that they have made plans to close disneyana so that starbucks can move into both market house and disneyana........ this upsets me very much because we already lost the watch makers. Disneyana has a lot of wonder things to look at and buy. starbucks just doesn't belong in the parks, just like mcdonalds didn't.....I know we cant believe every cast members tell us, but it makes sense. the current market house space simply isn't large enough. Send starbucks to DTD and stop destroy what little unique shops we have left
    The Gallery CM I talked to indicated that the Disneyana shop would be taking over the Gallery space since Starbucks would be taking over it's current location. In other words, there will no longer be a Disneyland Gallery.

I think the Disneyland Gallery is an important part of the Disneyland heritage. If they are actually going to eliminate it in favor of the Disnayana Shop on Main Street, then maybe Colglazer can use his new position to get the Gallery put back into it's original location above Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Without giving full detail, the trend on collectables has gone lower and lower each year.

The polite way is that it is down trending.

The equally correct, but not so nice way of putting it is that the market for these items is dying off, literally.

Collectables is not part of the younger consumer's domain.

These are just general figures, not actual numbers, but some days Disneyana wouldn't make a single sale, or maybe 200 dollars that day. They only make their goal for the day in sales if they have a consigned artwork piece sold that day or there is an event. That's pretty much it.

Bye.
    i think the problem is not that market is dying off for collectables i think the problem is that DIsney has priced things wayy to high to attract new costumers and keep the ones they had that are interested in these items.

I have seen several of the same items in Disneyana sold at the character discount stores for up to 60-70% off. The profit margin on many of these items is ridiculous and that goes not only for the collectibles but for most souvenirs they sell

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    I think the Disneyland Gallery is an important part of the Disneyland heritage. If they are actually going to eliminate it in favor of the Disnayana Shop on Main Street, then maybe Colglazer can use his new position to get the Gallery put back into it's original location above Pirates.

I don't think they will remove the Dream Suite anytime soon. I believe Lasiter still uses it as well as dignitaries and other VIP when they visit.
    I like where the gallery is now. Just keep it there and add a few more shelves for the product that is in Dasneyana.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I can't stand the taste of Starbucks coffee and never drink it. I think it's awful that Disney still hasn't learned that people really don't want outside venders invading stores or shops that have been there since opening day and change everything around to meet their brand names. If this is true is just another reason to never go in the Market House again. It's a terrible decision. The coffee is not as good as Disney's House Brand and doesn't belong in Disneyland at all. I have never set foot in the Starbucks at DCA and Disneyland will be the same.
    Amen.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I can't stand the taste of Starbucks coffee and never drink it. I think it's awful that Disney still hasn't learned that people really don't want outside venders invading stores or shops that have been there since opening day[...]
    Judging by how busy and efficient I have heard the DCA Starbucks is, I would say that the demand for it is actually quite large. Considering that it is one of the biggest coffee chains in the world, I think it is safe to say that many, or most people like it.

Coffee houses attached to stores and markets in 1900 definitely existed so as long as they fit the "modern" brand into the look, feel and aesthetic of the place, it is a good bet by me.

Also, for the record... If I am not mistaken Disneyana was not an original shop. In fact, the Starbucks will be put into area that was previously occupied by the Market House meaning that this change brings Main Street closer to how it existed in 1955 than what is there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    i think the problem is not that market is dying off for collectables i think the problem is that DIsney has priced things wayy to high to attract new costumers and keep the ones they had that are interested in these items.

I have seen several of the same items in Disneyana sold at the character discount stores for up to 60-70% off. The profit margin on many of these items is ridiculous and that goes not only for the collectibles but for most souvenirs they sell
    A big +1 on the price thing. I wish I could afford some of the newer items, but I am not going to pay an amount equal to my mortgage for something.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Also, for the record... If I am not mistaken Disneyana was not an original shop. In fact, the Starbucks will be put into area that was previously occupied by the Market House meaning that this change brings Main Street closer to how it existed in 1955 than what is there now.
    True. Disneyana is a relatively recent addition to that location. Previously located across the street approximately at the entrance to the Crystal Arcade of the Emporium.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12