Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Observer

Losing DisneyAna

I was speaking to a cast member working in the Disneyana store. and he tells me that they have made plans to close disneyana so that starbucks can move into both market house and disneyana........ this upsets me very much because we already lost the watch makers. Disneyana has a lot of wonder things to look at and buy. starbucks just doesn't belong in the parks, just like mcdonalds didn't.....I know we cant believe every cast members tell us, but it makes sense. the current market house space simply isn't large enough. Send starbucks to DTD and stop destroy what little unique shops we have left

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Re: Losing DisneyAna

From Al's Bibbidy-bobbidy-barcode:

The new Starbucks going in to the Market House is also helping to drive the alley project, and the latest plan is that a portion of the existing Disneyana shop would be given back to Market House better accommodate them.
    Seeing as they are just getting it back, I don't see the issue. It actually does make sense that a market of that style and period would have a small coffee counter which very well may have been run separately. I know that the specific "Starbucks" brand wasn't around back then, but coffee certainly was and if it takes bringing in Starbucks to offer a period specific service at exceptional quality, than I am all for it.

My only hope (and this is shared by everyone I think) is that the few remaining unique goods sold at Disneyana will be relocated to other retail locations in the place of the generic and tasteless "DisneyParks" merchandise. As for things like the watches, it is too bad that they couldn't sell enough to keep it feasible. Here is hoping that in the future Disneyland continues to think of new unique services and goods they can offer at a quality higher than lawn flags that don't even tell you what park they were purchased in.

• Just drawn that way

I hate this news, mainly cause Market House was one of my favorite locations to work at.
    I think DisneyAna will most likely move the rest of their stuff to the MS Disney Gallery.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• We Want The Redhead

It seems to me that I remember hearing that the Market House expansion would require taking over a part of Disneyana, not the entire shop.
    I could see where the gallery area of Disneyana is now made redundant with Disney Gallery hosting the same merchandise up in the old bank building and absorbing that area into the Market House / Starbucks would make sense.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Minion

How is the Starbucks product going to be marketed exactly? Will the Starbucks name grace the outside of the Market House in the typical "behemoth-takes over the mom and pop store phenomena," or will it still be presented as a small town, Main St. establishment with the same name that just serves Starbucks?

• Observer

Does,anyone remember when u were able to get theme specific items in those lands only and not anywhere else. I think ears and hats should stay and the hat stores, or just mansion, pirates and nightmare plus any new orleans stuff can only be found in new orleans. Now every store really does have the same thing. Its no different than any othrr store with the exception of a few.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    Does,anyone remember when u were able to get theme specific items in those lands only and not anywhere else. I think ears and hats should stay and the hat stores, or just mansion, pirates and nightmare plus any new orleans stuff can only be found in new orleans. Now every store really does have the same thing. Its no different than any othrr store with the exception of a few.
    ^^^ I do. And I liked it that way. Being behind the berm already took you to another place, but the specialized merchandise in different areas took it even one step further IMO.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    I hate this news, mainly cause Market House was one of my favorite locations to work at.
    I think DisneyAna will most likely move the rest of their stuff to the MS Disney Gallery.
    If you are a current cast member I would advise to not state any negative opinions about what is going on in the parks. Especially on these boards.

That being stated, I am sure Starbucks will bring in a lot more money than Disneyana ever could. Otherwise Disney wouldn't be doing this. And from a theme point of view I do prefer this. I would expect a store on a Main St in 1910 to sell coffee more than I would Disney artwork and figurines.

Even though I like Disneyana, the Disney Gallery is very similar. I could see them moving all the "services" into that space.

At least we get real coffee (I mean much more real than what's there now). I always hated that Nescafe coffee syrup they use for coffee now. I don't care if it's a big company or not, Disney has always had big companies sponsoring attractions since the very beginning. It's like Sunkist, Welch's and Chicken of the Sea.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 02-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Hold on Al announced this on his latest article. There is no officle word yet of the plans for the Market House or where Starbucks is going in the park. What if they put at Troubadour Tavern?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Still lost in Neverland

I can't stand the taste of Starbucks coffee and never drink it. I think it's awful that Disney still hasn't learned that people really don't want outside venders invading stores or shops that have been there since opening day and change everything around to meet their brand names. If this is true is just another reason to never go in the Market House again. It's a terrible decision. The coffee is not as good as Disney's House Brand and doesn't belong in Disneyland at all. I have never set foot in the Starbucks at DCA and Disneyland will be the same.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• A Dark Future

Meh, Main Street died a long time ago. I love the outside facades and all the windows. I like walking down Main Street and smelling the smells, hearing the music, and seeing the sites. But the stuff inside? Meh. One long giftshop and a few eateries. I'm over it. At least now there will be good coffee.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Just drawn that way

Well if it's not true, then the cast members on the Main St vehicles, should not have announced that to a car full of guest that they were changing it to Starbucks....=(
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Even though I like Disneyana, the Disney Gallery is very similar. I could see them moving all the "services" into that space.

At least we get real coffee (I mean much more real than what's there now). I always hated that Nescafe coffee syrup they use for coffee now. I don't care if it's a big company or not, Disney has always had big companies sponsoring attractions since the very beginning. It's like Sunkist, Welch's and Chicken of the Sea.
    It's NOT Nescafe.

It's from a vendor called Linda Votaw.

Nescafe would be *worse*.

Without giving full detail, the trend on collectables has gone lower and lower each year.

The polite way is that it is down trending.

The equally correct, but not so nice way of putting it is that the market for these items is dying off, literally.

Collectables is not part of the younger consumer's domain.

These are just general figures, not actual numbers, but some days Disneyana wouldn't make a single sale, or maybe 200 dollars that day. They only make their goal for the day in sales if they have a consigned artwork piece sold that day or there is an event. That's pretty much it.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    How is the Starbucks product going to be marketed exactly? Will the Starbucks name grace the outside of the Market House in the typical "behemoth-takes over the mom and pop store phenomena," or will it still be presented as a small town, Main St. establishment with the same name that just serves Starbucks?
    Most likely based off how the Starbucks location was done at DCA the store will continued to be called the market house and just feature a small Starbucks logo by the doors. I was worried when this was first announced at DCA but based on the great job that was done there this will probably turn out just as tasteful and with attention to detail. We should have a better idea when we see how much the Main Street location that is going in at WDW actually changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast