Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Compare Disneyland to Disney World

Alright it might be a question that gets beaten to death but you know, I have never asked it on this particular forum. I've usually asked it on WDW dominated websites before. But since this is a higher traffic site for Disneyland I thought I'd get some input here.

Which one do you prefer? Take into context the entire resort of the two. Where do you feel the most magic? Which park has that Disney feel to it more? Also, of the two best singular parks at each resort which one do you prefer, Disneyland or Magic Kingdom?

Re: Compare Disneyland to Disney World

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Alright it might be a question that gets beaten to death but you know, I have never asked it on this particular forum. I've usually asked it on WDW dominated websites before. But since this is a higher traffic site for Disneyland I thought I'd get some input here.

Which one do you prefer? Take into context the entire resort of the two. Where do you feel the most magic? Which park has that Disney feel to it more? Also, of the two best singular parks at each resort which one do you prefer, Disneyland or Magic Kingdom?
    For me Disneyland. Its where all my childhood memories of theme parks is at. (never went to Disneyworld as a child and only once as an adult.)

I also prefer the smaller setting of Disneyland/California Adventure. I am not into the week long theme park trip, and just prefer to go for 2 days, maybe 3 tops.

Disneyland Resort for me is also cheaper, both to get to, and stay once there. And I can take a side trip home to visit family in San Diego.

I had fun at Disneyworld, but the cost to get there is far higher, I have no attachment to Disneyworld, no memories, its just a giant resort that isn't my cup of tea. Bigger isn't always better.

For me personally, just not worth the time to get Disneyworld.

• formerly very helpful

First, I'll say you can't objectively compare one with the other. It's like comparing a city to a state. WDW is more than 44 square miles in size! It's larger than San Francisco, for goodness sakes! There is no comparision.
    The most one can do is compare Magic Kingdom to Disneland Park. That said, I prefer Disneyland. It is more intimate, and has, for me, a greater attention to detail. However, that isn't to say WDW is any slouch, either.
    I will say that as an overall resort, WDW offers me much greater imersion into the escape that is Disney. Once there, one rarely - if ever - is smacked inthe face by the outside world, the way it happens at Disneyland. If you ride the monorail at Disneyland you get treated to views of Harbor Blvd., including hotels, restaurants, shops, traffic. But at WDW you are treated to views of Walt Disney World ONLY. Sure, you do see some roads, and hotels, but they are Disney properties, so they are removed from Reallity Land.
    So if I want a long-term escape, I would choose WDW.
    But, as I said, to compare just one park to another, Disneyland has it.
    How's that for non-commital?

• Dead men tell no tales.

DisneyWorld is somewhat like Disneyland, except stretched out.

DL over WDW any day of the week. To me, DL has more charm than WDW, even though WDW is bigger.

Good discussion so far. I have been a WDW veteran and have only been to Disneyland just once last year for my first time. My wife and I loved it and I was actually surprised that despite being in the middle of Southern California once you were in Disneyland you felt totally immersed with the park and disconnected from society. Yes, there was the monorail as the only time you saw outside the park but to me it was no big deal. WDW is different where you are transported so far away from reality that it really does feel like you are in a fantasy world. But once you are inside Disneyland, you can't really tell the difference either in my opinion.

For me I will say the volume of things you can do is in favour of Disney World. No contest there at all. 4 theme parks, 2 water parks. Yeah, you spend a week there and you can barely see everything. Disneyland is more quaint in my mind. Not to mention it is the original and I went into Disneyland with a strong bias towards WDW but left there feeling just as much magic as I would at WDW. Overall, the best singular park of the two resorts is Disneyland for me, hands down. Nothing against my sentimental favourite Magic Kingdom, but to look at it objectively I had to choose Disneyland, it is just simply the better park. No one has matched it.

^ I view the DL vs WDW argument to be a quality vs quantity argument. Would you rather go to a resort with a lot of history and charm (there's that word again!) behind it, or would you rather go to a resort where there's more things to do?

• Minion

I've been to WDW a couple of times and while, both times, I felt that unmistakable, special Disney magic, it felt less personable to me than Disneyland for some reason. It just seemed so big, and there was a certain intimacy lost for me.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved it, and because Walt indeed had a hand in its layout that makes it special too.
    Being the original though, Disneyland will always be extra special.
    And as many have pointed out in such discussions as this, it was the park that Walt walked in.
    If you're looking for the resort experience though, WDW definitely takes it in that area.
    I love Disneyland so much that I rarely even visit DCA though, so I still see just Disneyland in many ways....not a resort.
    So when comparing the CA and FL parks, I usually focus only on the parks themselves. Not the other parks that have grown up around them.
    When doing that, the CA original wins in my book (though there is much to still be said about their Tomorrowland...as retro as it may be).

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    ^ I view the DL vs WDW argument to be a quality vs quantity argument. Would you rather go to a resort with a lot of history and charm (there's that word again!) behind it, or would you rather go to a resort where there's more things to do?

True enough. Disneyland has the history behind it. More so than WDW although 1971 was a long time ago now as well. Of course Walt walked in Disneyland all the time and that is a big plus. There are more of the original 1955 attractions still there which I love as well. You are right, it is a grand vs. charm type of argument. Not saying the other one doesn't have either of course. There is something about being transported (literally) into another world when you go to the Magic Kingdom in WDW. Parking, then taking the tram, then the monorail/ferry to the park. That always feels special. However Disneyland is the better park overall from an individual perspective. The attractions always seem to win out in Disneyland:

Disneyland attractions not in WDW:
    Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice, Mr. Toad, Casey Jr., Storybook Canal, Toontown, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Captain EO, Sleeping Beauty walkthrough

Magic Kingdom attractions not in DL:
    Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, Mickey's Philharmagic

Comparisons with the same rides:
    Pirates - Disneyland's version is far superior
    Haunted Mansion - same
    Thunder Mountain - same
    Splash Mountain - WDW version far better and longer
    Space Mountain - more or less the same
    Small World - same (but I loved the added characters in Disneyland's version)
    Peter Pan - same

Outside of the Magic Kingdom I find that Disney World's Tower of Terror was better than Disneyland's for sure.

Overall, the better park is Disneyland.

Since I grew up in Anaheim, and now live in Corona, I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times.
    I have only been to Disney World once, and that was as an adult with my own family.

I've seen the Modern Marvel's piece on Disney World and how Walt wanted to Plus it.
    I think that he really managed to do this in a lot of ways.
    Entering Walt's Magic Kingdom:
    Our first trip to the Magic Kingdom was across the lake on board the paddle wheeler which was great.
    The second time we entered by the Monorail.
    WDW Monorail is an actual transportation system, but unfortunately it doesn't enter inside the MK park.
    Both modes of transportation are superior to the Disneyland tram, or heaven forbid the Toy story bus.
    I think that WDW also has a tram, but we didn't park in the parking lot, so no experience there.
    Going under the berm.
    The tunnels under the tracks at WDW are both wider and longer than Disneyland and there is underground beneath the train station.
    I think Stroller rentals are located there.
    I liked the historical railroad pictures and artifacts under the station.
    Main Street
    WDW main street is nice, but not as quaint as Disneyland.
    The Castle is much larger, and the Hub area is a lot more expansive. I liked that.
    Rides:
    I don't think any ride in WDW is a carbon copy of the Disneyland original.
    They all have their pluses and minuses.
    I think the original Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland is better than the WDW version, although the WDW version does have a nice Queue.
    The small world entrance in Disneyland is also more aesthetic than the WDW version.
    I like the The Jungle Cruise in WDW because the boat enters a cave.
    Tomorrowland in the Magic kingdom is so cool, they have Peoplemovers (TTA), Rocket jets up where they are supposed to be, and a carousel of progress. (we used to have these things)
    Of course there is a lot more to WDW than the Magic Kingdom.
    Disneyland has DCA, but WDW has Epcot, DHS, and Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Even though WDW is bigger and better in some ways compared to Disneyland, the original will always be able to hold it's own.

• Minion

You're not going to get an objective opinion here, Big Phil. A West-Coast based site will almost always be full of DL supporters because they're reppin their home park! And the same goes for East Coast. Plus, you'll have things like cost and personal experiences determining people's views as to which one is 'better'.

However, I'll play devil's advocate and say that WDW beats DL in so many ways. First of all, the hotels there cannot be beat...PP and DLH are run-down, un-themed B-hotels in comparison to the WDW resorts. Just staying at WDW is a treat, and you can make a full day just exploring the hotels at the World.

Also, it's a true vacation. If you wanna do nothing but walk around in hot crowded theme parks all vacation, then yeah by all means go to DL. But at WDW, you can take a break from the parks in the middle of your vacation, going horse-back riding, parasailing, and like I said, just exploring the hotels, maybe going for a massage or shopping or doing the hotel-run activities.

There's also so much more variety at WDW as far as the parks go--there's no world showcase or animal exhibits at DL. Yeah they pack more rides in their small space but at WDW it's not all about rides it's about little things like watching the animals in the Serengeti at Animal Kingdom or exploring the AFI exhibits at Hollywood Studios or my personal favorite, looking through all the little nooks, crannies, and shops in World Showcase. You can spend a full day in each park without riding any rides...just watching shows and exploring. And of course, you can't forget two world-class water parks either.

Honestly, WDW is the premiere Disney experience for magic, immersion, and entertainment. This even shows in the queues at WDW, which are large storytelling techniques in themselves. WDW is a true vacation, it's not all about riding a bunch of rides.

Oh, and on a side note you may think I'm nuts but Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain is much, much better than DL's.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Oh, and on a side note you may think I'm nuts but Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain is much, much better than DL's.
    I have to agree with you there. Space Mountain at DL is a much calmer ride. Fewer drops and a smoother track. I would say the loading area and the on-ride music are about the only thing DL's Space Mountain does better.

For me being a Florida native and growing up going to WDW, I would have to say WDW wins out easily as a resort. Just comparing the Magic Kingdom parks, however, Disneyland inches out ahead by the slightest margin. I think the quaintness of the park as well as the history behind it gives it that edge. I like the intimacy of it as well.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I feel that WDW could have been a very different place if Walt had Epcot built to his design. Disneyland is by far better out of the two resort. Although I have only been to WDW once. Disneyland wins every time. Disneyland one weakness though is at the end of the night when small is closed and there is no big show the sounds of I-5 creep across the park and the monorail view of Harbor is not a minus because you are leaving fantasy and entering back into reality. Also the viewing of the Monorail from the outside world gives a taste of the future will be. At least we don't have projects that are anounced and nothing happen (Avatarland, Flamingo Crossings)
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I feel that WDW could have been a very different place if Walt had Epcot built to his design. Disneyland is by far better out of the two resort. Although I have only been to WDW once. Disneyland wins every time. Disneyland one weakness though is at the end of the night when small is closed and there is no big show the sounds of I-5 creep across the park and the monorail view of Harbor is not a minus because you are leaving fantasy and entering back into reality. Also the viewing of the Monorail from the outside world gives a taste of the future will be. At least we don't have projects that are anounced and nothing happen (Avatarland, Flamingo Crossings)
    While I can see how DL could be seen as the better park I don't see how it's the better resort. To me, a good resort offers a plethora of things to do and many wide varieties of activities, not to mention immersion. Disneyland is just parks and DTD...Disney World is so much more...as a resort.

While i agree with you WDW does have overall more things to do outside of the parks, DL doesn't need all those things that WDW has because DLR is in the middle of southern california!. so ya wdw should have more to do as a resort because its in the middle of no where while.. DLR is minutes away from anything you could ever want on a vacation, DLR is about the overall southern california vacation. so that's why DLR its more about the parks, while WDW is more about the overall resort. but when it comes to parks DLR wins hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    You're not going to get an objective opinion here, Big Phil. A West-Coast based site will almost always be full of DL supporters because they're reppin their home park! And the same goes for East Coast. Plus, you'll have things like cost and personal experiences determining people's views as to which one is 'better'.

However, I'll play devil's advocate and say that WDW beats DL in so many ways. First of all, the hotels there cannot be beat...PP and DLH are run-down, un-themed B-hotels in comparison to the WDW resorts. Just staying at WDW is a treat, and you can make a full day just exploring the hotels at the World.

Also, it's a true vacation. If you wanna do nothing but walk around in hot crowded theme parks all vacation, then yeah by all means go to DL. But at WDW, you can take a break from the parks in the middle of your vacation, going horse-back riding, parasailing, and like I said, just exploring the hotels, maybe going for a massage or shopping or doing the hotel-run activities.

There's also so much more variety at WDW as far as the parks go--there's no world showcase or animal exhibits at DL. Yeah they pack more rides in their small space but at WDW it's not all about rides it's about little things like watching the animals in the Serengeti at Animal Kingdom or exploring the AFI exhibits at Hollywood Studios or my personal favorite, looking through all the little nooks, crannies, and shops in World Showcase. You can spend a full day in each park without riding any rides...just watching shows and exploring. And of course, you can't forget two world-class water parks either.

Honestly, WDW is the premiere Disney experience for magic, immersion, and entertainment. This even shows in the queues at WDW, which are large storytelling techniques in themselves. WDW is a true vacation, it's not all about riding a bunch of rides.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast