Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Lurker

Fantasyland needs a tea house

I was looking at the photos of the renovation of the Mad Tea Party when I was struck with inspiration. Fantasyland has a gigantic tea set, but there's nowhere to get a decent cup of tea! We need a tea house. It would be themed to Alice in Wonderland, of course, and would serve high tea, with sandwiches, scones, and pastries, in the company of Alice and her friends. Or, for those who just need a quick cuppa, there would be a walk up window where you could get a cup of tea and possibly a cookie or a pastry.

The one snag that I see is that Disneyland currently is partnering with Starbucks, which is great for you coffee drinkers, but it doesn't have that great a selection of teas. Peet's would be a much better choice for a sponsor, as they have a wide selection of teas that are very good and not too expensive (I'm sipping a cup of Peet's Ti Kwan Yin as I write this. )

I need a place in Disneyland where I can get a decent cuppa! What say you?
    Last edited by matman730; 02-02-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Fantasyland needs a tea house

IIRC Starbucks was in the process of buying or has already bought Teavana. What you suggest is a good idea but if anything were to go in, in this case it would be sponsored by Teavana.

Also I don't know if you remember this but about 15 years ago they used to have a Mary Poppins themed tea party which was held in the Disneyland Hotel. For a price you can sit with Mary Poppins and have tea and cakes. I never did it though.

• Lurker

Interesting to hear about Teavana. Checking out their website, it's unfortunate that most of their tea seems to have flavorings of some kind. I'd much rather have tea that's nothing but good ol' Camellia sinensis.

I was completely unaware of the Mary Poppins tea at the DLH. Sounds like it would have been fun. My ulterior motive for having a tea house in Disneyland, though, is to be able to have a place where I could just get a decent cup of tea (an extreme rarity here in the tea-ignorant US).

• Just drawn that way

Love the tea idea! The Poppin's tea was very cool, I took my mother to it. They have one in Florida at a hotel. I would love to see the return of it here, but where would you put it?
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Lurker

Well, I've never been a huge fan of the Village Haus, so I wouldn't be terribly heartbroken if it were converted into a tea house. It's not that close to Alice and the Mad Tea Party, though, and an Alice themed tea house would really belong closer to those rides. The other location would be near the old motor boat lagoon, but then again, it's about the same distance from the Alice area as the Village Haus (though there is a more direct sight line to the Mad Tea Party).

• MargyDisneylandLover

I for one am all in on this idea...I am an avid tea drinker. (surprised I have not been mob run out of seattle lol) this sounds like a great idea!
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

I like the thought of a tea house in Fantasyland (or anywhere in the park), but please not Alice themed. As much as I love Wonderland and its citizens, Alice does not need to take over the entire land!

• Lurker

I'm open to other ideas for themes if you've got 'em. I just need my cuppa!

• Chief Troublemaker

I've always wondered why they don't 'do' a tea at the Grand. I think it would be a nice feature.

And, ahem, not all of us are 'tea-ignorant'. Water just off the boil, PG Tips or Typhoo (loose NOT bags), warm the pot first with hot water, use 1 tsp per cup + one for the pot. Stir once, then cover the pot and steep to your taste. And if you take milk in your tea, milk second, never milk first! At least that's the way I was taught. LOL
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Lurker

LOL...I'm actually an American as well, but my ancestry is English and the tea habit got passed down through the generations. But God help you if you want a cup of tea in a restaurant. They think they're being all fancy if they bring out a case of Stash to choose from!

• ~

I'm not sure about potential sponsorship, but I adore the idea of a little tea house. I see potential for a really charming, atmospheric dining location.

Ye Olde Skyway Station is just begging to be converted to a tea/coffee/pastry house!

• Minion

I love this idea so much. I'm crazy about tea houses, and I was actually just thinking the other day that I wish DLR had a tea place similar to what the Grand Floridian has in WDW. I know they used to have Practically Perfect Tea at the PPH, but that involved a whole kiddie meet n greet thing with Mary Poppins, and quite frankly I wouldn't want a tea place that's like character dining. If it were in Fantasyland, I wouldn't mind it being themed to a character like Alice or Mary Poppins, but I don't want Alice wandering around annoying me while I'm trying to enjoy my afternoon tea.

I think they should put one in the Grand Californian...it would be interesting to see how they could implement the rustic theme into a tea house since most tea houses have a more Victorian dainty elegance.

• Minion

I love this idea! they could even have a special brew called drink me

• Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Ye Olde Skyway Station is just begging to be converted to a tea/coffee/pastry house!
    Yes!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast