Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: new D land prez Michael Colglazier is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    I'm sure that's part of it, but this truly is a no-win situation for him. If you're not seen interacting with fans, people accuse you of not giving a damn. If you are out and interact with the core fans, people accuse you of only doing it for posturing and so fans cut you some slack.

Personally, I'd rather have the former and have it potentially influenced by ulterior motives. It demonstrates at the very least that he's not so arrogant that he feels above interacting with fans. It also demonstrates that he has enough personal interest in the parks to carry on sincere conversations with serious fans. An executive's breadth of Disney knowledge is often very different than a fan's, and some executives could easily embarrass themselves in conversations with fans. Those executives probably have good reason to avoid fan interactions so they aren't the subject of a 33-page thread on Micechat titled, "OMG, Park VP ________ Didn't Know Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland Was An Attraction!!!!!"

Look at it this way: if someone is in his ear telling him this is a good PR move, someone has been in the ear of Phil Holmes and Meg Crofton telling them the same things. Yet, they ignore the advice and are only on hand for occasional park events, and at those events they come across as plastic-y, canned, and without a genuine passion for the parks.

It's not a critical function of their jobs to be in the parks interacting with fans, but which type of executive would you prefer, regardless of ancillary motives?

Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    ^Well, then at least he isn't afraid of us, unlike Meg and Ed.
    Is that good or bad?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• former CM

I'm sure that's part of it, but this truly is a no-win situation for him. If you're not seen interacting with fans, people accuse you of not giving a damn. If you are out and interact with the core fans, people accuse you of only doing it for posturing and so fans cut you some slack.

Personally, I'd rather have the latter and have it potentially influenced by ulterior motives. It demonstrates at the very least that he's not so arrogant that he feels above interacting with fans. It also demonstrates that he has enough personal interest in the parks to carry on sincere conversations with serious fans. An executive's breadth of Disney knowledge is often very different than a fan's, and some executives could easily embarrass themselves in conversations with fans. Those executives probably have good reason to avoid fan interactions so they aren't the subject of a 33-page thread on Micechat titled, "OMG, Park VP ________ Didn't Know Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland Was An Attraction!!!!!"

Look at it this way: if someone is in his ear telling him this is a good PR move, someone has been in the ear of Phil Holmes and Meg Crofton telling them the same things. Yet, they ignore the advice and are only on hand for occasional park events, and at those events they come across as plastic-y, canned, and without a genuine passion for the parks.

It's not a critical function of their jobs to be in the parks interacting with fans, but which type of executive would you prefer, regardless of ancillary motives?
    Well put, WDWFigment!

And I also hope for the possibility that Michael Colglazier is a true believer--that he views capitalism as Steve Jobs & Walt Disney did: as a means of creating & promoting that which can make the lives of his customers more wonderful.

Michael Colglazer has arguably the best job in the world. He's going to be able to comfortably support his family while making millions of people happier.

The Tokyo Disneyland Resort, Matt Ouimet's cleaning up Disneyland for the 50th and beyond, Universal Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and DCA's Carsland should have taught theme park leaders that investing in well-kept, exquisitely themed lands and extraordinary attractions can be richly rewarded. I think Michael C., John L., George K., Tony B. and others all get this. I'm not sure everyone above them fully does. Bob I. maybe now, Thomas S. maybe not.

Last edited by jcruise86; 02-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Um maybe because MiceChat puts a negative spin on Disney Parks themselves
    Most people here are actual fans of Disneyland and don't obsess over all the negative things, but that's a very astute comment towards The Complainers™ (we all know who they are).

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Most people here are actual fans of Disneyland and don't obsess over all the negative things, but that's a very astute comment towards The Complainers™ (we all know who they are).
    Just as there are Disney Apologists(and we all know who they are as well....)
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Just as there are Disney Apologists(and we all know who they are as well....)
    Yep.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Personally, I'd rather have the latter and have it potentially influenced by ulterior motives. It demonstrates at the very least that he's not so arrogant that he feels above interacting with fans. It also demonstrates that he has enough personal interest in the parks to carry on sincere conversations with serious fans. An executive's breadth of Disney knowledge is often very different than a fan's, and some executives could easily embarrass themselves in conversations with fans. Those executives probably have good reason to avoid fan interactions so they aren't the subject of a 33-page thread on Micechat titled, "OMG, Park VP ________ Didn't Know Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland Was An Attraction!!!!!"

QFT. You always have something great to input, Tom, and I am almost always finding myself in full agreement with you!

Photo Via jdhilger

• враг народа

Blog Entries

[...]

I'd rather just look at what is happening in the parks. I'd rather never know they were there, but be able to tell because of how things are being handled.

• formerly very helpful

Well put.

I think many of you are trying to read way to much in to his attendance. Whatever reasons he may have for his attendance are less important than the fact that he did. IMO it can only be a GOOD thing that has listened and interacted with the people who know more about the park and love it more than anyone inside the corporate walls. Listening to your customers is the key to any successful business.

I only see this as a postive thing, why are people judging so harshly. He could have ignored the entire visit and stayed in their little corporate world but he actually took the time to listen and meet with some of the biggest fans of Disney.

Does anyone know what some of our opinions that he was able to hear. I hope someone mentioned fixing up tommorowland.

• Minion

From what I've read hes a cool guy and I wont judge him until he actually starts doing things for the parks, so far hes met fans which is good he seems to like the parks truly so hopefully its all good from here on.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Team Hail HYDRA

he is a very nice guy,i got to take the first public photo with him!!!

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Yea, pretty much WDWFigment, the guy cant win

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though for now.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by SirGalvan View Post
    Does anyone know what some of our opinions that he was able to hear. I hope someone mentioned fixing up tommorowland.
    I was at the breakfast when he came by. He just wanted to pop by and introduce himself since he is, as we all know, the new President of the DLR. It was his second day on the job and he just wanted to make a first impression with the Disneyland community. He talked to us for about 5 minutes? It wasn't a planned meeting so there was no Q&A or anything. He seemed like a real nice guy. He also said that if you ever see him at the Parks, he would love for you to come up to him and say hi because he would like to meet the fans. In the end, he came and went with a positive impression from all of us. It was real nice of him to stop by a Disneyland fansite's event since he had no obligation to. But he did anyways and I believe on his own accord? I really do hope to see some good things from him during his tenure as President.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast