Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Medical incidents at Disneyland, particularly for non-US citizens

I just wondering, if you do not mind saying, what was the cost of getting a doctor to your room at 4am? Did he accept credit cards?

•   
    • Minion

To the OP, I'm sorry that your kids were ill during your trip. That was understandably scary and unpleasant for all of you.

I'm a little surprised that First Aid didn't have more updated resources. In my limited experience (I've been there for asthma attacks) they've been excellent. It could be that the medical group recently went out and they just didn't know or have time to update their materials. I'm sure that most of the time, when travelers have medical issues they end up doing just what you did - asking at their hotels and getting information there, so this isn't information they give out a lot. When they're dealing with outside medical help it's probably just to get EMS into the park with ambulances to take out injured/sick guests.

At any rate, good on you for sending a note to Disney, so they will be aware of this and update their resources. It would be interesting to know if the Disney hotels had different information than what you received from First Aid.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Just throwing this out there - maybe they didn't know?
    If they are going to hand it out, it's their job to know.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    They would give me the same outdated info, and i would be in the exact same situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I am wondering how the OP knows the informations is outdated since 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Did you notify guest services that the medical information they gave you was outdated?
    Just because something has a date on it, doesn't mean that's when it was made. Many time things get edited without changing dates.

It's possible that few guests ever ask for that information and nobody has reported the error, which could be a week old. When kids get sick most parents take them back their hotel room or home, rather than seek a doctor first. At hotels, getting helpf or things like that is more common.

Let Disney know.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If they are going to hand it out, it's their job to know.
    Right, and I don't disagree, but how often is it reasonable for them to check? Should they call daily? Monthly? Yearly? I agree that they should have up to date information, but I'm just saying maybe it was an honest mistake? Either way, it should be reported and fixed. I wonder what their policy is, or if one exists specifically for this?

Probably a lot of rhetorical questions, but the OPs concerns brings up some valid points.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I tend to agree with Mortgageman. This really has nothing to do with the US healthcare system (and I don't think we need to go there on MiceChat). The same thing could have happened to anyone in any country. If I were to (again) visit your beautiful country, or any other unfamiliar place (even here in the US), and happen to become ill, I could possibly be given outdated information at any hotel or other location, no one is perfect.

Nor would I be eligible for free health care in Canada and I would fully expect to pay for any medical care I might receive there, or in any other country with national health insurance. Luckily my health insurance covers medical emergencies outside the US, but if it didn't I would seek out travel medical insurance before any travel.

I understand how frustrating & frightening it is when your children fall ill in an unfamiliar place. Including places where I've been given NO information other than directions to the nearest ER. Trust me, I've been there and have been in more than one unfamiliar emergency room or urgent care clinic with a sick little one while on vacation. Certainly Disney should be told that they need to update their medical information handout, but vilifying them for their error is, IHMO, unnecessary. Nor do I believe that it is Disney's 'responsibility' to provide this information, it is done as a courtesy. Their 'responsibility' is to call 911 for any medical emergency requiring that level of care. In today's litigious society, I'm actually surprised they do provide anything other than directions to the nearest hospital.
    I agree with this.

I think these clinics and doctors give Disney the information about their services. Usually there is no notice when these places change phone numbers or go under. Maybe they should just give directions to Emergency rooms because they almost never move.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Right, and I don't disagree, but how often is it reasonable for them to check? Should they call daily? Monthly? Yearly? I agree that they should have up to date information, but I'm just saying maybe it was an honest mistake? Either way, it should be reported and fixed. I wonder what their policy is, or if one exists specifically for this?

Probably a lot of rhetorical questions, but the OPs concerns brings up some valid points.
    You would think that with the number of people they deal with, this would have come up long before now.

And if this had been brought to Disney's attention before, you would hope they wouldn't still be handing out information that is this far out of date.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    You would think that with the number of people they deal with, this would have come up long before now.

And if this had been brought to Disney's attention before, you would hope they wouldn't still be handing out information that is this far out of date.
    This.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

You know - I'm not excusing them for having incorrect/outdated information, because this is important, but I'm guessing that this is something that comes up in Anaheim a lot less often than it does in Orlando. Given the local nature of Disneyland, the vast majority of guests are familiar with the area, or live somewhere locally in Southern California. They wouldn't need a hotel room doctor visit, and they probably wouldn't need Disneyland First Aid's help to find their off-site doctor/local ER/local urgent care facility because they'd already know exactly where it was. And those staying in local hotels might ask there first. Just about every hotel room and concierge desk has a directory book that lists local services and that usually includes doctors. This might not be something that comes up in DLR every day. And given that they might be less motivated to update the files.

• Chief Troublemaker

Just out of curiosity, I googled around. I did find an article on another Disney fan site from someone who had a medical emergency. In it he mentioned getting the info from Disney First Aid for a Dr who would make house calls. The article appears to be from summer 2011. I called the two phone numbers for them shown in the article, the first was disconnected, the second was a valid phone number for an on-call medical service that will make house calls. I verified that they DO make 'hotel' calls in the Disneyland area. Their fee is $350.00 + any meds or other services. You must have a credit card or cash up front, insurance billed later.

I am NOT in any way connected with this business and this is NOT an endorsement of them. I have NEVER used their services & so have NO idea if they're good, bad, or indifferent. But here is the info for anyone who wants to have it for future reference:

HouseCallPhysicians.1-800-DOCS-911.

I don't know if this was the company the OP was referring to since she didn't mention it in her post. I also don't know if it's OK to link to an article on another Disney fan website (especially since the author endorses the company & I can't vouch for them or him) so I'm not linking the article.
    Last edited by Stormy; 02-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Still Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    The brochure had a 2005 date printed at the bottom.
    Just cause it was printed in 2005, doesn't mean the information was outdated in 2005. They could have gone out of business last week for all we know. They may have had cash flow problems and didn't get their phone bills paid?

Would you judge disney for the outdated information if that was the case?

Canaduh, I think what I find troubling about your post is the title, when all Disney did wrong was provide some outdated information about a non emergency medical service.

When you say "medical incidents" in the title you imply that Disney mishandled some kind of emergency. Far from the case, your child wasn't feeling good, they gave him a Tyenol and then at that point you had the choice of seeking outside medical treatment or not.

Was it bad customer service that they gave you a outdated referral...probably yes. Inconvenient...yes. Frustrating...yes. But if you think about it really no different than if they would given you a referral for a restaurant, tow truck, beauty shop...any other type of service that might no longer be around. Inconvenient but not a major sin. Disneyland is located in the middle of one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world with likely more doctors and medical providers per square mile than anywhere on the planet. Shouldn't really be that hard to find a doctor even if the referral from Disney didn't work out.

The other part of the title mentions for non US citizens. I fail to see what that has to do with anything here. Medical services rendered to citizens and non citizens I'm quite sure are identical. The issue that would come into play for a non citizen would be one of insurance coverage and who is responsible for paying. Disney certainly has nothing to do with that.

To your somewhat inflammatory statement that Disney is better at cleaning up popcorn than handling non emergency/non life threatening medical situations, I say good. Keeping a clean park for all guests is much closer to Disney's core mission than being a referral source for doctors.

Glad your kids are ok, I raised 4 of them with ear infections and colds quite common. It sucks at any time but especially when you are away from home but all a part of being a parent.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    Was it bad customer service that they gave you a outdated referral...probably yes. Inconvenient...yes. Frustrating...yes. But if you think about it really no different than if they would given you a referral for a restaurant, tow truck, beauty shop...
    I think being given a referral to medical services that no longer exist, when your children are sick with 102 and 104 degree fevers, is an entirely different situation than being given a referral to a non-existent restaurant, tow truck or beauty shop.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    Just cause it was printed in 2005, doesn't mean the information was outdated in 2005. They could have gone out of business last week for all we know. They may have had cash flow problems and didn't get their phone bills paid?

Would you judge disney for the outdated information if that was the case?
    Yes, I would still judge them. Good customer service means calling first and saying, “this is the Disney first aid station. We may be referring a patient to you and I just wanted to verfiy the information is current before we hand it out.” For a company that once prided themselves on being the gold standard when it came to service, this would have taken very little effort to do.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Wow, not a great situation to say the least; glad to hear that your kids are feeling better and that the HOJO really pulled through.

It's too bad that Disney did not give up to date info and I find it troubling that this has not been brought up before with them. There are literally 1000's of people who descend on Disney every week; you would think that someone would have tried to call this service in the past to simply find a dead end.

If at the very least this makes me want to be a bit more prepared that I typically am for my trips. We have been very lucky in the past, but I'm not sure what I would do if my kids were hurt, or fell ill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast