Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Medical incidents at Disneyland, particularly for non-US citizens

My children fell ill last week during our Disneyland trip. My 5-yr-old daughter complained of a sore ear, so I knew we were in for a wild ride unless we sought treatment. We started out at the First Aid centre on main st in the park. They gave my daughter some children's Tylenol, and gave us a brochure containing info regarding a doctor group to contact for care right in your hotel room. At the time, we weren't certain that we'd require in-room doctor care.

Sure enough, that night, both kids ended up with severe fevers. My three-yr-old son's temperature was over 102, and my daughter was over 104. Very sick little girl! We called our insurance provider (because yay $ US health care system. Sorry!) then, we called the number on the brochure provided by Disneyland.

Let's just say that Disney can clean up a piece of popcorn before it hits the ground, they can make you feel like you're flying through space, but they can't provide medical info that is newer than 2005. The medical group no longer exists, no sign of them anywhere. Luckily we chose to stay at HoJo, who immediately provided us with a number at 4:00am that was very current and effective. Doctor was there in no time with proper care and meds! The kids got colds that went wrong, resulting in ear and sinus infections! HoJo both saved my kids some horrible pain, and literally saved our trip! They simply made sure their important medical contacts were up-to-date and reputable. So professional!

has anyone else (non-US) had a similar experience? I have already showered HoJo with praise, and I plan on sending a note to Disney regarding their horribly out if date medical info.

Re: Medical incidents at Disneyland, particularly for non-US citizens

With all due respect I can't see where you have any beef with Disney here. If you are traveling away from home it is up to you to have a contingency plan if you or your family would need medical care.

It is unfortunate that they gave you some outdated information but Disney can either provide basic minor first aid or summon emergency care providers if necessary....no other medical duty to guests beyond that. Sorry.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I disagree with Mortgageman. When you have an establishment such as an amusement park, it is in part the responsibility of the park to provide accurate information especially when it comes to healthcare. I realize they are not responsible if someone becomes ill, but can you imagine how disconcerting it would be for them to say: "here's the nearest hospital, good luck"? I think it's unacceptable for their information to be outdated. Nearly 8 years outdated no less.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I think it's unacceptable for their information to be outdated. Nearly 8 years outdated no less.
    +1
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Chief Troublemaker

I tend to agree with Mortgageman. This really has nothing to do with the US healthcare system (and I don't think we need to go there on MiceChat). The same thing could have happened to anyone in any country. If I were to (again) visit your beautiful country, or any other unfamiliar place (even here in the US), and happen to become ill, I could possibly be given outdated information at any hotel or other location, no one is perfect.

Nor would I be eligible for free health care in Canada and I would fully expect to pay for any medical care I might receive there, or in any other country with national health insurance. Luckily my health insurance covers medical emergencies outside the US, but if it didn't I would seek out travel medical insurance before any travel.

I understand how frustrating & frightening it is when your children fall ill in an unfamiliar place. Including places where I've been given NO information other than directions to the nearest ER. Trust me, I've been there and have been in more than one unfamiliar emergency room or urgent care clinic with a sick little one while on vacation. Certainly Disney should be told that they need to update their medical information handout, but vilifying them for their error is, IHMO, unnecessary. Nor do I believe that it is Disney's 'responsibility' to provide this information, it is done as a courtesy. Their 'responsibility' is to call 911 for any medical emergency requiring that level of care. In today's litigious society, I'm actually surprised they do provide anything other than directions to the nearest hospital.
    Last edited by Stormy; 02-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I'm not questioning the US healthcare system. I'm also not putting the responsibility on anyone else to make sure I'm prepared for an emergency. I'm questioning the priorities of Super-Disney when it comes to providing proper info. First Aid is just that. If you don't have current, correct information, then don't provide it. Especially regarding health and safety.

Im not from the Anaheim area. I'm not even from the US. it is unlikely that I would be an expert as to urgent care contact info in Anaheim, even if I research it beforehand. Lets say i call Disney a week before my trip and ask for their recommendation for urgent doctor care in the area. They would give me the same outdated info, and i would be in the exact same situation. I would expect a long-time corporate fixture in Anaheim to have this information available to all, not just me. If you come to my neighborhood, I would certainly provide current clinic info.

I think a couple of you didn't read/understand the OP's point.

Disneyland provided the OP with out-of-date information on contacting a medical group for those that might not know what is available to them if they need it...it has nothing to do with insurance (or lack thereof).

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I work in an administrative role in a (US) healthcare company. Information changes all the time. If Disney knowingly is giving out false information it could create a liability on their part. I am wondering how the OP knows the informations is outdated since 2005. I would think Disney would have corrected it by now but who knows why they didn't.

One thing -- Disney is not obligated to force someone who goes to first aid to seek medical care outside of their first aid clinic. They can provide a referral but they are not obligated to force a guest to seek it out. Their responsibility lies only within their clinic and that's pretty much it. Anything after that is the patients responsibility.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    With all due respect I can't see where you have any beef with Disney here.
    I'm curious why anyone would think there is nothing wrong with Disney handing out inaccurate information.

True, they don't have to provide any additional information, but they are electing to do so to provide a better service to their clientele. Once they elect to do that providing anything other than the most accurate up-to-date information constitutes poor customer service.

Poor service is never a thing to be tolerated whether it was a service Disney was required to perform or elected to undertake on its own.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• The doctor is in

Did you notify guest services that the medical information they gave you was outdated? If not I suggest writing an email to Disney about this incident.

It is true that Disney's responsibility is ended once they provide you with the information to seek outside assistance but it is their responsibility to provide correct and accurate information.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Hooterville, USA

Go get some Tylenol for your children. You can get it most anywhere.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

The brochure had a 2005 date printed at the bottom.

I will write an email to Disney, in hopes that they will update their info so that frightened foreign guests facing sudden medical issues can get the most efficient assistance possible. Luckily, I had already contacted my insurance company the second my kids showed signs of illness. I already had files started on both of them before making the call to a doctor. We had everything in place, we just needed to find a local doctor. It was a frightening step to have a number in hand, when we most needed it, only to come to a dead end!

a 5-yr-old with a 104+ fever is beyond Tylenol.

• Dreaming of next trip

Having a sick child while on a trip is no fun. Having 2 sick children is a nightmare.
    I am glad that things worked out, calling the front desk of the hotel is a good call. HoJo has a lot of guests from outside the States so they probably have ran into this before.
    I am suprised that the first aid had such an outdated list, I am sure that they will get that taken care once you let them know.
    I hope your next trip is better.

• Down Pluto!

Wait... The U.S. has a healthcare system? Since When?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Selfie Expert

Just throwing this out there - maybe they didn't know? I don't think they would purposely hand out inaccurate information, especially since it could be a liability and certainly poor service.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast