Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Do you think we put too much emphasis on theme/setting?

Quote Originally Posted by animark View Post
    we shouldn't even be talking. We're criticizing people for putting cars land in the middle of California Adventure. (which in itself makes sense since California has a history of car culture). When the creator of his very own park decided it was a good idea to put a swiss mountain in between a medieval castle and a submarine fleet. which also practically destroyed any sense of main street USA of being a turn of the century town in america once you see that snowy mountain sticking up near the end of the street. Yet it still fits in Disneyland.

So in my opinion, I guess we're being a little too harsh about theming and placement.
    All of your points have been addressed before and often at length.

• Senior Minion

we shouldn't even be talking.
    On the contrary, there is much that deserves discussion on the topic of Disney park theming -- and mis-theming.

We're criticizing people for putting cars land in the middle of California Adventure. (which in itself makes sense since California has a history of car culture). When the creator of his very own park decided it was a good idea to put a swiss mountain in between a medieval castle and a submarine fleet. which also practically destroyed any sense of main street USA of being a turn of the century town in america once you see that snowy mountain sticking up near the end of the street.
    The creator of the park built a then-futuristic submarine voyage in Tomorrowland; the Eisger regime turned it into a ridethru kiddie video about a cartoon fish. The creator of the park built a then-futuristic surround film system in Tomorrowland; the Eisger regime turned it into a ridethru FPS video game about a current-day cartoon toy robot. The creator of the park put real Indians in Frontierland; the Eisger regime put in a cheap clone of a ridethru about a British children's fantasy storybook bear. The creator of the park built a ridethru for UNICEF with Audio-Animatronic children singing about peace among all nations; the Eisger regime turned it into a Where's Waldo of cartoon character brands.

And yes, there are many who feel that Cars takes place in Arizona, not California, and who have posted well written arguments to support their opinion.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Blew By You

Well, Disney built CarsLand well. When I'm in there, I'm in CarsLand, not DCA. I can see only CarsLand (occasionally the ToT) but the theme is well built to keep attention within the boundries of the area. Even at Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, I'm still seeing CarsLand. The theming definitely had old school working well.

we shouldn't even be talking. We're criticizing people for putting cars land in the middle of California Adventure. (which in itself makes sense since California has a history of car culture).
    I think the gripe people seem to have is that Cars Land's theme is Radiator Springs, which is not located in California, but someplace along Route 66.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Minion

Nope. The setting is what elevates it into something that takes you out of your regular world.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I agree the imagineers are doing just fine - but the question was about the fans taking theming too seriously was it not?
    okay but the imagineers are the ones who make the decisions where and how the lands look so THUS the fans have an issue with the themeing that the imagineers have done. So I answered it correctly in the first place. The fans gripe and complain when I believe there should be no issue since I believe the imagineers are doing what they do best. Fans have an issue with what they are doing. There is a reason Carsland was put in DCA because the imagineers decided it would fit there in that specific spot. So the fans having a problem with anything relating to theme is a result in imagineering decisions.

It makes no sense for people here to grip about the theming yet agree that the imagineers are doing their job just fine because they are the ones placing lands, attractions in specific areas that they believe they fit. So yes again as I stated before the FANS take what the imagineers do in themeing far too seriously.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    On the contrary, there is much that deserves discussion on the topic of Disney park theming -- and mis-theming.

The creator of the park built a then-futuristic submarine voyage in Tomorrowland; the Eisger regime turned it into a ridethru kiddie video about a cartoon fish. The creator of the park built a then-futuristic surround film system in Tomorrowland; the Eisger regime turned it into a ridethru FPS video game about a current-day cartoon toy robot. The creator of the park put real Indians in Frontierland; the Eisger regime put in a cheap clone of a ridethru about a British children's fantasy storybook bear. The creator of the park built a ridethru for UNICEF with Audio-Animatronic children singing about peace among all nations; the Eisger regime turned it into a Where's Waldo of cartoon character brands.

And yes, there are many who feel that Cars takes place in Arizona, not California, and who have posted well written arguments to support their opinion.
    I can see your points about the difference between when Walt was alive and when Eisner/Iger was running the show. however most of the things that you've listed also came from "popular media" at the time. The Submarine Voyage was most likely influenced due to their film "20'000 leagues Under the Sea". during the opening ceremony for Adventureland they had a popular character also from their production studios help open the land up "Davy Crockett" (which yes is a real historical figure, yet Disney has had shows depicting him so its still in a way marketed the popularity of the character through media).

I admit that the company nowadays goes to this default plan of including their famous franchises and sticking it on a ride however they've done some great ideas that don't have any influence from modern media characters. Take Hong Kong Disneylands Mystic Manor and their Grizzly version of Thunder Mountain. I'd say they're doing a pretty good job of making attractions without the help of famous franchises to slap on their rides.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    okay but the imagineers are the ones who make the decisions where and how the lands look so THUS the fans have an issue with the themeing that the imagineers have done. So I answered it correctly in the first place. The fans gripe and complain when I believe there should be no issue since I believe the imagineers are doing what they do best. Fans have an issue with what they are doing. There is a reason Carsland was put in DCA because the imagineers decided it would fit there in that specific spot. So the fans having a problem with anything relating to theme is a result in imagineering decisions.

It makes no sense for people here to grip about the theming yet agree that the imagineers are doing their job just fine because they are the ones placing lands, attractions in specific areas that they believe they fit. So yes again as I stated before the FANS take what the imagineers do in themeing far too seriously.
    Walt Disney Imagineering is a design firm that is essentially hired by the parks at their discretion. It's not necessarily their decision regarding what content goes where. Cars Land was built because Disney paid billions to get back the guy who wanted it to be built.

•   
    • Minion

there isn't a yes or no answer here. I think they do fine. I have seen posts on here that are a bit over the top in my opinion but since its just an opinion it doesn't really bother me. The general visitor probably doesn't mind some of the things people get really mad about on a Disney fan site forum.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Yes and no...I get when something like Buzz is added to Tomorrowland..how it makes little to no sense...but then other times when people complain about adding Mary Poppins to main street or the new Princess area...they lose me

Walt and his first-generation team of Imagineers installed theme busting additions to Disneyland all the time. Disneyland isn't a living history museum like Colonial Williamsburg, it's a theme park, or as Walt called it after a couple of Scotches in his famous 1965 address to Cast Members "that damn amusement park". There have been similar theme-busting additions after Walt, some more popular than others and some unpopular, but nothing more flagrant than what Walt got away with.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I say nope. There are those signs at the tunnels that state that these are relms of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy and heck I pay Disney to put me into these worlds and "I want to get what I paid for". The idea of theme land is a great concept you don't have a scifi theme next to a gothic theme. The areas work out. And when you see the Matterhorn at the end of Main Street it a reminder that there are other lands out there for me to explore. Although I would like them to light the back side of Space. it would be nice to see from Main Street and the outside of the park.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Hello Dolly.

I say yes. I totally agree with those who believe Disney should be top notch, especially with those prices. For the most part , I feel like the parks have been doing their job lately. Many set their bars too high and of course there is always something to be improved no matter how excellent it is. I have no doubts the imagineers are doing the best they can do with their budget & it's a theme park things will happen.

I believe every land at both DCA & Disneyland look amazing currently besides a very few (TL, Hollywoodland). Entertainment and food have been getting much better too. I'm happy with the parks right now and glad with what we have now. Could be much worse.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    The fans gripe and complain when I believe there should be no issue since I believe the imagineers are doing what they do best.
    So other fans can't complain because you think there is no issue and you think they are doing their best?
    So yes again as I stated before the FANS take what the imagineers do in themeing far too seriously
    Some fans do take what the Imagineers do seriously because we have seen their mistakes-Tomorrowland '98, FNSV, for examples.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Disneyland isn't a living history museum like Colonial Williamsburg, it's a theme park, or as Walt called it after a couple of Scotches in his famous 1965 address to Cast Members "that damn amusement park".
    And without the Scotches, he also called it "a museum of living history."

Go figure.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast