Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Do you think we put too much emphasis on theme/setting?

I don't think so, but it should be respected. I'd like to see them be so serious about theme that they roll back the prices to reflect what things would have cost in whatever era a land represents.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yes and no...I get when something like Buzz is added to Tomorrowland..how it makes little to no sense...but then other times when people complain about adding Mary Poppins to main street or the new Princess area...they lose me
    If anybody who thinks there is a themed experience, not themed decoration, at the Jolly Holiday Bakery then I am not sure what can be said to help convince otherwise.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yes and no...I get when something like Buzz is added to Tomorrowland..how it makes little to no sense...but then other times when people complain about adding Mary Poppins to main street or the new Princess area...they lose me
    All three fail thematically for the exact same reasons.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    All three fail thematically for the exact same reasons.
    I think it would be hard to phrase it any better than that.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• My Children's Father

I guess I'm not a themeing "fanatic" because my inclination is to respond to the OP with "What's with this 'we' business. You got a mouse in your pocket?" (pun not intended).

I'm also reminded of my favorite Voltaire quote (as translated into English): Perfect is the enemy of the good.

Just as I appreciate Carsland and BLAB, I appreciate the Monorail whether its cruising down Harbor Boulevard or threading the themeing needle between the Matterhorn and SB's castle. I miss the Skyway. I enjoy riding the train at the end of a long tiring day (a godsend when I had tired children to carry). And I like the food at the JHB.

My point is that there are a lot of good (if not very good) things at the resort that by any lax definition of "themeing" are not, strictly speaking, "properly" themed. I'm not sure I could afford an Annual Pass for myself (much less my family) for the "perfect" theme park. But I am eager to go to the Disneyland Resort for now ..... and judging from the recent attendance records, I'm not alone .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

I think theming is definitely important...to a point. Then it gets in the way of the parks and even guest's enjoyment.

For example, if the Imagineers were as big of sticklers for theming as some people on here, CarsLand would not exist because Cars didn't take place in California...but then where would DCA be? What experience (realistically) would rival that? Really, in that case, the way I see it, if they had taken theme to the extremes of seriousness then that would've been a loss.

Like someone else said, Disneyland is not Colonial Williamsburg, it's not a museum. There's a reason why the Matterhorn is not in Switzer-land. It's in Fantasyland because the idea of an abominable snowman is one of fantasy and where better to put it? Now if Walt had came along and said 'we have this really great idea but no Swiss area to put it' then we would've lost a classic ride. The same can be said about PotC and HM...they don't necessarily fit the theme of NOS (although I can see concessions being made to HM) but where would we be without them? The fact is, you gotta bend theme a little to give people experiences they want and love, and that's okay because Disneyland isn't about recreating historical moments and geographical locations down to a tee, it's about giving people a fun time.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Depends mostly on your own individual opinions and standards of themeing and how you let it dictate your enjoyment of the park really.

Some things can be over looked, or even make it more enjoyable with a 'tweak' to the themeing; some things dont.

Form your own opinions on it and stick by em.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• I'm from Canada eh!

Perhaps the "theme" of Disneyland park is now "all things Disney". And with the addition of Star Wars the park is finally accurate!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Perhaps the "theme" of Disneyland park is now "all things Disney".
    Of course, Wiggins, myself and others would most certainly agree with you. This is the very definition of "branding."

• No Disassemble!

What I love about Micechat is that it's a mix of traditionalists, realists, and progressives and when we all get together to solve the age old questions surrounding theme & setting we really put our hearts and minds to it. If nothing else, with every new thread that pops up we are always learning about how we personally identify with the Disney parks and how changes to the parks affect our perceptions. As of late the Disney Co. has taken it upon themselves to implement sweeping changes across nearly all of their properties. One can't fault the fan base for putting too much overemphasis on theme especially when the landscape is changing so rapidly that even the progressives are scratching their heads and going to the realists for comfort.

In closing let me say that, regardless of our wonderful and vivid opinions, there's definitely something not entirely right when, right now, the only thing making sense about these changes in the parks is the need to keep the business "shareholder friendly".
    Last edited by G24T; 02-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    What I love about Micechat is that it's a mix of traditionalists, realists, and progressives
    What is a theme progressivist?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    So other fans can't complain because you think there is no issue and you think they are doing their best?

Some fans do take what the Imagineers do seriously because we have seen their mistakes-Tomorrowland '98, FNSV, for examples.
    Well thanks for putting the bold in "you". That was interesting.

All I'm going to say is the OP asked for our opinions and that is my opinion. My personal opinion. It's obvious you are not enjoying my opinion and when I once again stated it you still don't find it flattering.

But that's how I feel. My statement stands as is.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    What is a theme progressivist?
    To me its the people that support some of the renascence-like projects (Avatar Land, the rumored Stark Expo, and even the Mad T Party). Basically attractions or lands that are radical in concept and that which usually sends the traditionalists into paragraph-laden rants condemning even the whisper of said projects.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    To me its the people that support some of the renascence-like projects (Avatar Land, the rumored Stark Expo, and even the Mad T Party). Basically attractions or lands that are radical in concept and that which usually sends the traditionalists into paragraph-laden rants condemning even the whisper of said projects.
    How are these radical in concept? The issue with these projects is their overt acknowledgement of brand over theme. I see nothing radical in a gut reaction to prevent a high grossing film from going to Universal, a high grossing franchise getting a ride and a high grossing film getting overlaid on a high grossing party.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How are these radical in concept? The issue with these projects is their overt acknowledgement of brand over theme. I see nothing radical in a gut reaction to prevent a high grossing film from going to Universal, a high grossing franchise getting a ride and a high grossing film getting overlaid on a high grossing party.
    Which is different than Fantasyland and its promotion of Disney properties how?

At least, they're waiting to make the property successful, and not gambling on a product yet to be released to hopefully be successful, something like a castle dedicated to a princess in a yet-to-be-released movie.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast