Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Do you think we put too much emphasis on theme/setting?

When it comes to an issue like getting an amazing attraction that everyone's been waiting for for several decades (i.e. The Little Mermaid), then yes. Today as fans we need to pick our battles.

That doesn't mean that theme isn't important, and I do wish that those calling the shots would be more careful with it. It's unfortunate that they have no interest in letting WDI put forth original attractions that have no tie-ins to current Disney franchises.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    But do they talk about how the Mary Poppins items add to Main Street, USA? Do they?
    Do they comment about how they feel as though they have entered the world of Mary Poppins? Does it provide that experience?
    The crime of the Jolly Holiday Bakery is that the decoration serves no purpose other than branding, not the theme or storytelling of Main Street, USA.
    I think the items feel like Main Street with the theme being if it was owned by Mary Poppins......the building to my anyway would not have been any better as some new building that was called the Main Street Diner and served the same food and just had normal decorations

I like when I see stuff like Oswalds Gas....the books that became movies in the window of beuna vista street....and I like the new Poppins restaurant

I don't find any of them taking me out of the feel of the little streets they build as much as many of the much more obvious tie in's that don't fit in like Buzz...or Monters Inc....or Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I don't find any of them taking me out of the feel of the little streets they build as much as many of the much more obvious tie in's that don't fit in like Buzz...or Monters Inc....or Nemo
    In all honesty, Buzz and Monsters are also found at Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

•   
    • Minion

It just comes down to personal taste I think they do a great job at it. There was a lot of criticism about the Joly Holiday Bakery being on Main Street USA. To me it looks great and doesn't take away from main street at all. Another one is Carsland being in DCA which I kind of laugh at given the history of California and cars. It would be one thing if they put space mountain in NOS but they don't.

Walt has the monorail going through Fantasyland and a nice view of the parking lot from the train and Dinosaurs. These are no different to me. Take the park for what it is a place for everyone to enjoy and find me a park in the world that does better theming than Disnayland.
    Last edited by biggsworth; 02-05-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    It just comes down to personal taste I think they do a great job at it. There was a lot of criticism about the Joly Holiday Bakery being on Main Street USA. To me it looks great and doesn't take away from main street at all. Another one is Carsland being in DCA which I kind of laugh at given the history of California and cars. It would be one thing if they put space mountain in NOS but they don't.

Walt has the monorail going through Fantasyland and a nice view of the parking lot from the train and Dinosaurs. These are no different to me. Take the park for what it is a place for everyone to enjoy and find me a park in the world that does better theming than Disnayland.
    Well said! I don't think those rides detract from the theme at all. I take the park for what it is.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    In all honesty, Buzz and Monsters are also found at Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland.
    Two wrongs dont make a right

I'm just saying one of the main reason's those attractions dont feel that "Disney" is how cheap and out of place they are

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think if DLR gets a third gate there would be no way to open the gate with out 2-5 rides with movie tie-ins. WDI would try to do it but I fear some exec. will stop it all because they don't understand the whole theme park industry. Well said Disneyland has one the best themes around and I feel like im not in Anahiem when ever I go but I am somewhere else because the real world does seem to creap in but they it does not last before theme moves on into something new.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^after DCA....we'll be lucky to get more then 2 GOOD rides or attractions built in a third gate not based on movies

What's funny is the high up's must think Carsland works because it's based off a movie...but it's because of the high detail and how much money and time was spent creating the place

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Today as fans we need to pick our battles.
    Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of fans do that, however.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How are these radical in concept? The issue with these projects is their overt acknowledgement of brand over theme. I see nothing radical in a gut reaction to prevent a high grossing film from going to Universal, a high grossing franchise getting a ride and a high grossing film getting overlaid on a high grossing party.
    They are radical in that they are far departures from the typical Disney animated properties and/or WDI original concepts like DCA 1.0. You've got a good point about the strategics of it all. I keep forgetting that Disney's in a chess game with Universal right now everytime I post on one of these threads.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    Do you think the fans put too much emphasis on theme or setting when new attractions or anything else is put in an area where they don't think fits (i.e., Cars Land, the Little Mermaid ride, Jolly Holiday bakery)?
    New to the thread, but I wanted to give my two cents. Theme is the REASON I prefer Disneyland over other parks. Or one of the top 3 anyway (CM's, and attention to ride/attraction maintenance being the others). There can never be too much of it in my opinion. The absence of theme is the absence of heart and of soul in my opinion.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Two wrongs dont make a right

I'm just saying one of the main reason's those attractions dont feel that "Disney" is how cheap and out of place they are
    But Monsters and Buzz at Tokyo feel a bit out of place there, too!

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345