Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Question Do you think we put too much emphasis on theme/setting?

Do you think the fans put too much emphasis on theme or setting when new attractions or anything else is put in an area where they don't think fits (i.e., Cars Land, the Little Mermaid ride, Jolly Holiday bakery)?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• The doctor is in

Re: Do you think we put too much emphasis on theme/setting?

I think for the most part yes. However, if they wanted to just put whatever they wanted there wouldn't be themed lands.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Down Pluto!

No. Walt set the bar pretty high - especially for his time, and I see no reason to keep lowering it.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

YES because it's a Fantasy... land. People take the construction and structure far too seriously. I mean yes it wouldn't make sense for Tomorrowland's rockets to be put in the middle of Fantasyland BUT I'm fine how the imagineers are handling the situations that they are dealt with in the space that they are dealt with.

They know what they're doing.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Down Pluto!

I agree the imagineers are doing just fine - but the question was about the fans taking theming too seriously was it not?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

No, I think many fans will gladly accept shallow ornamentation and self-references over actual detail and depth.

I imagine a lot of people are so OCD about it that they don't enjoy anything at DL.

• Minion

Since theming is what set Disneyland apart from the amusement parks that existed before, I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable for fans to question. And for those who saw the park in its earliest of days and right on through the 70s/80s, or so, they'll have more by which to make comparisons.
    I think it's inevitable though since Disneyland was such an original and unique thing when it came to theming.
    For those who worked there early on (I can't speak to the orientation/training sessions nowadays), we went through orientation at the DU and learned Walt's philosophies up one side and down the other and how they should represent in the park.
    As far as theming goes though, it will be an imperfect art. There will always be inconsistencies somewhere. I'm sure there were when Walt was running the place, and there will continue to be nowadays.
    Personally though (IMO), I think the park should do its best to maintain that philosophy as best as they can. I'm not sure taking the costumes out of the park has helped theming though. It used to be that everything was kept behind the berm and you didn't experience that hands on magic up close and personal until you got inside the gates. Heck, they didn't even want you lingering in an area out of costume for any longer than you had to. And we avoided it as best as we could.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    S
    As far as theming goes though, it will be an imperfect art. There will always be inconsistencies somewhere.
    It comes down to why. In need of funds, Walt did make concessions to sponsors. There are logistical and safety issues as well. There are artistic reason, such as a deliberate anachronism like Sleeping Beauty Castle. Because people won't care or notice is not a good reason. Because people just like certain brands is not a good reason.

• Sondheimian

I don't think you could ever put too much emphasis on theme and setting. That's what makes parks like Disneyland and Universal stand out from the rest.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It comes down to why. In need of funds, Walt did make concessions to sponsors. There are logistical and safety issues as well. There are artistic reason, such as a deliberate anachronism like Sleeping Beauty Castle. Because people won't care or notice is not a good reason. Because people just like certain brands is not a good reason.
    And I absolutely agree.

I think the farther we get away from Walt and the Disney influence, the more we'll see artistic license being taken which moves us away from some of those original philosophies and perspectives on what the park should be. And it will be based more on what people, nowadays, want.

Costumes out of the park and looser appearance guidelines will, of course, feel wrong to me when it comes to the theming piece , but newer generations won't have that same attachment that I do because I'm older and I saw those old school philosophies in action. And I liked 'em.

• -

I don't think one can ever put too much emphasis on theming in a theme ​park. It's not the fans that put too much emphasis on theming, it's Disney that has been lax in certain areas of late.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think one can ever put too much emphasis on theming in a theme ​park. It's not the fans that put too much emphasis on theming, it's Disney that has been lax in certain areas of late.
    Exactly right. Disneyland well earned its reputation for theming excellence in its first three decades as the world's premiere theme park. Sadly, the last two decades have seen land-theme appropriateness often treated like a distant and unimportant second cousin, after brand marketing.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Exactly.

If I want a jumble of attractions thrown together without a cohesive theme, I'll go to Knotts or Universal or Six Flags. I go to Disneyland specifically for the theming, to be immersed in this alternate reality created by cohesive theming and care and regard for that theme.

we shouldn't even be talking. We're criticizing people for putting cars land in the middle of California Adventure. (which in itself makes sense since California has a history of car culture). When the creator of his very own park decided it was a good idea to put a swiss mountain in between a medieval castle and a submarine fleet. which also practically destroyed any sense of main street USA of being a turn of the century town in america once you see that snowy mountain sticking up near the end of the street. Yet it still fits in Disneyland.

So in my opinion, I guess we're being a little too harsh about theming and placement.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast