Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

re: disneyland is going to start enforsing fast passes feb 18 [Merged Threads]

I like the robocop approach. If the pass says return between 2pm and 3pm, return during that time. If you miss your time, no problem, you just have to wait in the regular line with the unwashed masses.

Here is something strangely ironic, I'll bet 99% of those who work the system, get a FP and then come back whenever they want are passholders who have already ridden the damn thing so many times they can recite the audio by heart.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The only problem is who's definition of reasonable is going to be used? What's reasonable to one person may not be to another. Better to make it a blanket enforcement of the time, regardless of the reason for being late, and it will take all of the guess work out of the process.
    Reasonable excuse being Disney's fault like the broken ride scenario. Just yesterday indy broke as I was about to enter FP line and I had to wait until after the return time. The attractions break often enough that it isn't right, or wise to tell all those people "sorry, but too bad."

Is it that hard to let only people who have missed their time due to a situation disney caused? Anything else is fair game for refusal but some things are truly not the fault of the guest and broken rides is the biggest and easiest reason to accomodate.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman View Post
    I like the robocop approach. If the pass says return between 2pm and 3pm, return during that time. If you miss your time, no problem, you just have to wait in the regular line with the unwashed masses.

Here is something strangely ironic, I'll bet 99% of those who work the system, get a FP and then come back whenever they want are passholders who have already ridden the damn thing so many times they can recite the audio by heart.
    The thing about robocop is that it screws the people who's arrival times coincides with a break down.

And the second paragraph and unwashed masses comment is all beside the point. You don't have to resent APs or people who have ridden multiple times because you have every opportunity to do exactly as they do. Ride a million times, Buy an AP, or come on as late as you want with or without justification. As of now, the system is still equal opportunity so there really is no need for the snide remarks and resentment.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

About whether enforcement has had an impact at WDW:

My guess is that at WDW, far fewer people were ignoring the return times to begin with, because most guests there are from out of town and aren't in on the "secret" that you don't really have to adhere to the time...I count myself in that group. It would never have occurred to me to go back outside of the window, because obviously that defeats the purpose of the entire system. So it wouldn't surprise me if there has been little change at WDW, because I don't think as many people were ignoring return times there as at DL.

I don't understand why people are upset about this...obviously the whole system is designed to only handle so many people at a time. If people ignore the return times, it messes everything up.

I also think the enforcement is less about controlling wait times and more about just getting people accustomed to sticking to a schedule so that those who use Fastpass+ won't think they can be loosey-goosey with the times.

• The doctor is in

This is good news if it's true.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    The thing about robocop is that it screws the people who's arrival times coincides with a break down.
    As of right now, if I am in line for an attraction and the attraction breaks down, I am sent away and told to come back and wait in line later. If I have a Fastpass for that same attraction, I am given preferential treatment for said ride for the entire day. the fair solution here is to just simply not honor Fastpasses when the ride breaks down, and if you are unlucky enough to have a Fastpass when the ride is broke, you come back later and wait in line - just as you would have if you were in the standby line.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    As of right now, if I am in line for an attraction and the attraction breaks down, I am sent away and told to come back and wait in line later. If I have a Fastpass for that same attraction, I am given preferential treatment for said ride for the entire day. the fair solution here is to just simply not honor Fastpasses when the ride breaks down, and if you are unlucky enough to have a Fastpass when the ride is broke, you come back later and wait in line - just as you would have if you were in the standby line.
    Well said.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Exactly.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

But why should that have to be the case? Why not accomodate people who happen to have a fastpass when a ride breaks? People in SB get to wait in line during the breakdown if they chose. FP holders aren't even allowed in the FP line when a ride breaks. Plus The system would certainly be able to handle it. It currently handles a lot more than just unlucky people and does quite well most of the time.

But this is all if we are going to strictly treat it as a virtual line saver, which I don't think is the right way to go about it. A FP holder is not like a person in SB. The FP user planned at least a few hours around the time disney gave them. To not accomodate them when the fault is on disney's end is ridiculous.

Plus what happens when next gen lets you reserve times way in advance? Then it becomes less of a virtual person saving your spot and more of a reservation. What then? Surely that deserves accommodation.

Im surprised by all you who are in favor of strict, no tolerance enforcement. Most of you have called for better trained CMs who are able to use judgement and common sense to decide on situations on a case by case basis at least one time or another in the past. This would be the perfect place to start.

• -

But why should that have to be the case? Why not accomodate people who happen to have a fastpass when a ride breaks? People in SB get to wait in line during the breakdown if they chose. FP holders aren't even allowed in the FP line when a ride breaks.
    If they were already in line when it broke the fastpass users are allowed to stay in line.

If they are going to honor fastpasses when a ride breaks, the. They need to issue a number to each person in stand by so they can have their exact place in line back as well.

But this is all if we are going to strictly treat it as a virtual line saver, which I don't think is the right way to go about it.
    Disney considers it a virtual way of saving one's place in line. Why should we treat it any different.

Plus what happens when next gen lets you reserve times way in advance? Then it becomes less of a virtual person saving your spot and more of a reservation. What then? Surely that deserves accommodation.
    That system is an entirely different type of animal.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

If they were already in line when it broke the fastpass users are allowed to stay in line.

If they are going to honor fastpasses when a ride breaks, the. They need to issue a number to each person in stand by so they can have their exact place in line back as well.

Disney considers it a virtual way of saving one's place in line. Why should we treat it any different.

But what of FP users who return at the correct time but are denied entry because of a breakdown? They can't get in line to wait and in a strict system, they would not be allowed entry if the ride begins running after the time expires.

Even FP holders dont get a re admittance when they are already in line. Once passes are taken they are just like everyone else. But what about the times when FP is not accepted due to breakdowns even when they return on time? That is a unique situation that the people in SB don't have to deal with.

So how about we compromise. Just like a SB person is allowed to wait in line for a ride to come back on line, lets let FP people enter the line during their return windows even though the ride is broken. I mean, they are technically "in line" so they should be given the choice to wait out the downtime. They wait for the breakdown to be worked out just like everyone else, and they won't turned away like they are today.

•   
    • Minion

So how have they been handling the ride breakdown/FP window issue at WDW? It has to have come up.

IMHO it would just be easy for the CMs to stamp or note on a Fastpass indicating that the ride was down, or just give everyone a courtesy pass. Do they have to? No, not at all, but that would solve the issue and appease the guests who missed out on the ride because it was down.

I also like the idea of allowing FP holders to wait out the downtime, if it's possible and it looks as though the ride will be back online soon.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    So how have they been handling the ride breakdown/FP window issue at WDW? It has to have come up.
    Just come back later.

Many of back and forth and assumption in this thread, could be cleared up simply by looking at what has happened in WDW regarding the nearly year old FP return time enforcement and + program tests and announcements.

• Minion

You're not considering a few things.

1. the people in standby just winged it....they got in line, they have not been planning their day around it. If the ride breaks down, they go back to winging it. It sucks, but at least they didn't revolve their dinner reservation or showtime around it.

2. Fastpass is available to everyone...why wouldn't the people in standby lines have Fastpasses for another attraction? If they get kicked out of line, then they can go to their FP attraction while the FP holders for the broken ride get screwed over...in other words, the standby waiters then get preferential treatment.

• Special Agent

That is a unique situation that the people in SB don't have to deal with.
    There are usually two types of breakdowns. If it is for a simple reason and the CMs know that a simple reset is necessary they will not clear the queue. These simple resets usually take 20-30 minutes. In those cases the Fastpass guests would still be covered as they have an hour long window to return.

If the breakdown is more complex, and they know it will be awhile, they will clear the queue and kick everyone out. Its rare for them to give out passes to folks in line, but it can happen.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast