Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Hot FIRE!

re: disneyland is going to start enforsing fast passes feb 18 [Merged Threads]

this update in some ways sadly won't matter...if one complains enough to the point of having to bring out a manager/go to city hall they'll still get what they want...I want to enforce times but sooner or later I know someone will complain enough to get their way.

...As I See it

• The doctor is in

Like anything else people are using the breakdown as their main panic point. I had a 5-day park hopper last Spring and I didn't experience a single ride breakdown that was longer than maybe 5min. I never had to get out of line and I never was turned away.

Seriously guys. How often do you think a ride will break down and you won't be able to use your FP?
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    But what of FP users who return at the correct time but are denied entry because of a breakdown? They can't get in line to wait and in a strict system, they would not be allowed entry if the ride begins running after the time expires.
    Stand by riders couldn’t enter after the ride was closed either, regardless of if they had a buddy saving their spot in line.

Even FP holders dont get a re admittance when they are already in line. Once passes are taken they are just like everyone else. But what about the times when FP is not accepted due to breakdowns even when they return on time? That is a unique situation that the people in SB don't have to deal with.
    And the fastpass people had the luxury of riding something else or getting food, or shopping, or doing just about anything else instead of standing in line. It is a fair trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    You're not considering a few things.

1. the people in standby just winged it....they got in line, they have not been planning their day around it. If the ride breaks down, they go back to winging it. It sucks, but at least they didn't revolve their dinner reservation or showtime around it.
    This is assuming a lot. They may have planned their day around it. If someone saw a stand by wait time of 90 minutes and had dinner reservations, they may have done the responsible thing and come back later to ride the ride.

2. Fastpass is available to everyone...why wouldn't the people in standby lines have Fastpasses for another attraction? If they get kicked out of line, then they can go to their FP attraction while the FP holders for the broken ride get screwed over...in other words, the standby waiters then get preferential treatment.
    Just like fastpass is available to everyone, stand by is available as well. Those fastpass holders could have ridden stand by and had a fastpass for another ride. It is just the luck of the draw. If the ride comes back up before their window expires, they can just go right in, where stand by people potential have to wait in line all over again.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disney Obsessed

This is a kind of crazy thread. So here's my 2 cents.... (or buck o'five for inflation).

1- I TOTALLY use my fast pass whenever I want right now, because I can. I Usually come back around the time it lets me unless it's the 1st ones of the am. I use my afternoon passes in the afternoon because the night time lines are crazy for fast pass.
    Last trip I used my RSR fast pass during the time allotted. And it was for 2pm. I REALLY wanted to spend the 1st day and morning in DL not DCA but it was easiest to just stay there to be there for the 2pm slot. I made it , almost early even, and the fp line? NOTHING! NONE! it was crazy! literally no one in the FP line. I got on the ride in 10 mins. Well worth the extra effort of showing up on time and not just when I felt like it.

2- Rides break down. It happens. It's not as often as you think... but sometimes it feels like it happens a lot, or maybe that's just my luck. If matterhorn goes down, then when I get to Indy, it goes down, then I almost get on thunder mountain and IT goes down! That is just my luck. BUT I bet it doesn't always happen like that all day long!
    Calsig's "robocop" approach isn't a bad idea. Yes it's sucky, but it's sucky when a ride goes down period. I'm sure Disney will give you something, a special FP, a stamp on your FP, etc... to let you back in at a later time. But really it doesn't happen as often as this argument comes up.

And as for having app's that let you know the ride is down... if your pass is for 2 pm-3pm... and you check your app to see if it's still up and running and it's down, do you think it will be down the whole hour?? Instead you can hop in a short line (if there is one) or leisurely walk over to the ride and get some snacks, something to drink, time to pee without feeling rushed. Times like this is when you can learn to appreciate the Tiki room! NOW if you waited till the END of your FP use and THEN you checked for the rides status... you should already be close enough to swing by and get your "stamp" for later. And hit up another ride near by.

So basically saying it's not Disney's fault if your in DCA when it's time to use your DL fp, and the ride is down and you don't feel like walking over there. Because odds are you weren't going to walk over there if it wasn't down anyways, there would just be some excuse for why you couldnt make it on time etc... simply because it's "too far of a walk" for a ride that's down... that will probably be up and running by time you make it over there.

Again I ABUSE the system currently. I enjoy this glitch. It makes my day more sporadic. BUT it's finnneeeee if it's controlled. I just have to PLAN more. Me Myself and I have to do more work, and be more responsible. It's REALLY not that hard to be on time to a ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

This is assuming a lot. They may have planned their day around it. If someone saw a stand by wait time of 90 minutes and had dinner reservations, they may have done the responsible thing and come back later to ride the ride.

Just like fastpass is available to everyone, stand by is available as well. Those fastpass holders could have ridden stand by and had a fastpass for another ride. It is just the luck of the draw. If the ride comes back up before their window expires, they can just go right in, where stand by people potential have to wait in line all over again.
    And it's just the luck of the draw if you're in standby and your wait is a little inflated due to people using Fastpass that you yourself could have just as easily used.

You want everyone to be equal but why should Fastpass be on par with standby? Like a restaurant reservation, the people with reservations will get served first because they planned ahead, but you really can't complain because you could've planned ahead as well, you just didn't feel like it, or made reservations for something else. In the case of a table taking too long to finish (a ride breaking down) that table will first go to the people with the reservation because that table taking too long (that ride breaking down) is out of their control so they should not be penalized for it. Likewise, those people waiting without a reservation should not be 'rewarded' for it by bypassing the reservation party just because they waited the amount of time they were supposed to. Fastpass is like a reservation at a restaurant, it guarantees you a spot at a designated time and if you choose not to take advantage of such a free system, then you're gonna have to wait behind those who did.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Like anything else people are using the breakdown as their main panic point. I had a 5-day park hopper last Spring and I didn't experience a single ride breakdown that was longer than maybe 5min. I never had to get out of line and I never was turned away.

Seriously guys. How often do you think a ride will break down and you won't be able to use your FP?
    Oh you should've seen my team at the Gumball Rally. We face about 5-7 breakdowns in one day. Granted, not all of them had Fastpasses, but it was just amazing how bad our luck was. It really screwed up our momentum Indy was down for almost the whole day too.

I can't believe that this announcement still gets so much response. For those that have gamed the system in the past;you had a nice long run but, that time has come to an end. The FP's have a return window time printed on them for a reason. If DL didn't care what time you returned to use your FP they wouldn't have put a time on it. Many things in this world have loopholes, don't get upset when they are closed.

I love the candor and your attitude about having it come to an end. I don't understand why so many think they are entitled to keep working the system indefinetely.

•   
    • Minion

I am still thinking it won't even help much with the stand by lines like people think. If the stand by lines seem shorter then people will just go wait in the anyways bringing that line back up to where it is today. I use RsR as a good measure because I'm willing to bet most people return to this one for the allotted time since its new. I have seen major backups for my return time consistently on this attraction which carries a 90 wait in the stand by line.

As for long FP lines I have been lucky I guess since I have never hit one the most i have ever waited is like 10 mins except for RsR. The change won't effect me at least I never have a issue making my times now.

• -

And it's just the luck of the draw if you're in standby and your wait is a little inflated due to people using Fastpass that you yourself could have just as easily used.
    Since a fastpass is only available for one ride at a time, the people in the stand by line most likely have them for other attractions. I don’t know why it is just assumed that if someone is in a stand by line they are not holding any fastpasses. However, missing a ride due to breakdown is just one of the risks that are taken for the benefit of not having to wait in the longer stand by line, just the same as if you had a friend hold your spot in line and the ride broke down before they got to the front.

You want everyone to be equal but why should Fastpass be on par with standby? Like a restaurant reservation, the people with reservations will get served first because they planned ahead, but you really can't complain because you could've planned ahead as well, you just didn't feel like it, or made reservations for something else. In the case of a table taking too long to finish (a ride breaking down) that table will first go to the people with the reservation because that table taking too long (that ride breaking down) is out of their control so they should not be penalized for it. Likewise, those people waiting without a reservation should not be 'rewarded' for it by bypassing the reservation party just because they waited the amount of time they were supposed to. Fastpass is like a reservation at a restaurant, it guarantees you a spot at a designated time and if you choose not to take advantage of such a free system, then you're gonna have to wait behind those who did.
    If we were going to liken fastpasses to restaurant reservations, then they should have been enforcing return times from the beginning. A restaurant is not going to honor a person’s reservation from 10am when they finally get around to showing up at 5pm.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The thing about robocop is that it screws the people who's arrival times coincides with a break down.

And the second paragraph and unwashed masses comment is all beside the point. You don't have to resent APs or people who have ridden multiple times because you have every opportunity to do exactly as they do. Ride a million times, Buy an AP, or come on as late as you want with or without justification. As of now, the system is still equal opportunity so there really is no need for the snide remarks and resentment.
    I thought the comment was funny, I think you missed the sarcasm.

• Minion

Since a fastpass is only available for one ride at a time, the people in the stand by line most likely have them for other attractions. I don’t know why it is just assumed that if someone is in a stand by line they are not holding any fastpasses. However, missing a ride due to breakdown is just one of the risks that are taken for the benefit of not having to wait in the longer stand by line, just the same as if you had a friend hold your spot in line and the ride broke down before they got to the front.

If we were going to liken fastpasses to restaurant reservations, then they should have been enforcing return times from the beginning. A restaurant is not going to honor a person’s reservation from 10am when they finally get around to showing up at 5pm.
    I'm saying that everyone in the standby line has the ability to hold a Fastpass and I am assuming that they are, not the other way around. Please read my posts carefully before you criticize them.

As for the late policies, I agree that the one-hour window should be enforced. But as for your position on rides breaking down, I don't agree with that.

Fastpass is a chance to ride during your window. It’s not a guarantee that you can. If you show up and are not able to ride then, it should really be too bad. If you went standby or had someone hold your spot, you would be in the same boat.
    Sorry but that's just not practical. Guarantee people won't not complain if a ride breaks down voiding their fastpass. If you think complaints are bad now, just wait...

It makes perfect sense. If Disney lets people know up front that they are not guaranteed to ride then it will cut down on people showing up with expired fastpasses with some poor excuse that ride wasn’t working during their window. Again, if they were going standby or having a warm body holding their spot they wouldn’t get their place back just because the ride was suddenly working again at some point during their visit.
    If only people were that reasonable. I've worked with the public and just because there's a disclaimer doesn't mean a customer won't raise a fuss about it. If someone thinks otherwise, then they're being naive. Not saying all do this, but there's the small amount of customers who want it there way. And in the Worlderful World of Retail the "customer is always right." And you have to cater to their needs.

Dream scenario:

Ride breaks down. Guests come with their fastpass.

CM: Sorry the ride is broken.
    G: But how about our FPs?
    CM: There's a disclaimer saying no guarantee for broken rides.
    G: Oh...you're right. I'm sorry. I'll be going now.

lol not going to happen with some folks.

Realistic:

Ride breaks down. Guests come with their fastpass.

CM: Sorry the ride is broken.
    G: But how about our FPs?
    CM: There's a disclaimer saying no guarantee for broken rides.
    G: I don't care what it is says. I pay good money to come to this park and now I can't ride this ride!
    CM: Sir/Ma'am, the ticket has a discla...
    G: I don't care. When this ride is fixed we want to be first in line!
    CM: We can't do that si...
    G: I don't care! I'm going to complain to management about this. Never coming here again! What's your name?!

Then we'll read articles about lawsuits...blah blah blah...

Well, if you're like me and have followed the rules laid out by Disney, then this is a non-issue. It's really hard to feel any sympathy for people who break rules.

• I'm wishing

There are two different debates going on here. The first is about now necessary/good/bad it is that FP times will soon be enforced. The second is about whether it would be good if they enforced it without "reasonable exceptions".

This second debate is one that I can't quite figure out...this has not even been announced by Disney, followed at DW, or reported by any reputable source as something being considered! I can't recall having ever heard that Disney was considering a 100% enforcement, even in the face of reasonable excuses (ride break down, problem at a Disney restaurant, etc).

As to the debate of the FP return time, it's been talked to death on this site. We can all agree to disagree. The current rules state that you can return anytime after the first return time, it's been that way for years (ask any CM, oddball). I go regularly and I have rarely (literally a handful of times) seen a FP line that was out of control. Granted, I know to avoid FP return lines for Space Mtn and Star Tours right after fireworks, and Indy right after Fantasmic. Therefore, I see it as a program that isn't broken and doesn't need fixing. I will not be going along without complaint if/when the FP rules are changed, my thought is that, at DLR, it's a system that works and the new system will be too hard to implement due to the vast number of AP's who are used to the current rules. Either way, it won't change my life, so no biggie (although it will change Gumball Rally strategy for all of us serious competitors!), but this is my opinion for whatever it's worth. Vive la difference, I guess!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast