Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Off-property hotel advice please!

This is all great feedback, thank you. What a broad range of choices we have, right? Of these, or others maybe not yet mentioned, which is more on the nicer end of the scale? Like I said, we were spoiled by the GCH so I'm hoping to stay in something a bit more upscale if possible. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by LateralG View Post
    This is all great feedback, thank you. What a broad range of choices we have, right? Of these, or others maybe not yet mentioned, which is more on the nicer end of the scale? Like I said, we were spoiled by the GCH so I'm hoping to stay in something a bit more upscale if possible. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
    I would definitely avoid any of the fleabags across the street. If you are used to the Grand Californian they would definitely not meet your expectations.
    Last edited by calsig31; 02-06-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

If I don't stay at the Grand Cal I usually stay at the Annabella, which is a MiceChat partner. Nice comfy beds and a really nice restaurant & lounge. Within walking distance
    Mike

The Grand Californian is on an entirely different scale than other hotels in the area, so I don't think you'll find anything comparable, although HoJo has a really nice pool area.

If you go to disneyland's website and check on good neighbor hotels, you can click on only those labeled "superior" and that might whittle it down a little.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerjay View Post
    Our last trip in January, we stayed at the Sheraton Anaheim Hotel that was wonderful, we got a great rate, a bit less than so called "Main Gate" hotels, and a higher quality in my experience. They have a free shuttle that is dedicated just to the Sheraton, and it is even closer than walking to a main gate hotel. The shuttle seems to run every 15 minutes, and we never waited more than 5 minutes for the shuttle to get back to the hotel which was just behind Disneyland Park. It is also about the same walking distance that you would do if you were to walk through the Mickey and Friends lot all the way to the esplanade.

I highly recommend it.
    +1 to this. We've stayed there about 4-5 times.

The Sheraton has nice, very clean rooms and the grounds are very well kept. The convenience of the snack shop is also a plus if your plan is to just grab a quick breakfast bite before hitting the parks. They are also pet-friendly (at least they were back in 2010 - haven't been in a couple of years)
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• formerly very helpful

Compared to the Grand Californian, EVERYTHING will be cheaper. I've stayed at the Camelot Inn, and I feel they also have quality to go with their price and convenience. It's not going to be a palace, but it's nice.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1 View Post
    If I don't stay at the Grand Cal I usually stay at the Annabella, which is a MiceChat partner. Nice comfy beds and a really nice restaurant & lounge. Within walking distance
    I always stay at the Annabella. It's my absolute favorite hotel there, very easy walk, clean, quiet, and reasonable priced. I have never, ever thought of it was a "fleabag" motel, though I have had that type of experience at several other hotels in the area.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• No Disassemble!

More upscale than the GCH? And we're talking all around total package right? Based on that here's my suggestion, it's in Downtown L.A. but it's about the closest place I can think of that's more upscale than the GCH:
    Name:  2877393_89_b.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  27.6 KB

LA Convention Center Hotels | Downtown LA LIVE Hotel | JW Marriott Los Angeles

As far as something close to the park the only thing that I could think of is the WorldMark by Wyndham. The only thing is that you have to be in their timeshare club to stay there.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

I would like any advice regarding either the Hyatt Regency Orange County or Anaheim Marriott Convention Center. Any preference for one over the other? Any inside info regarding special rates or discounts? All opinions are welcome! Thanks!

Both the hotels you list are great... Hyatt has it's own shuttle every 30 mins... it's a nice hotel, a little out of the way (although walking distance to the Target, which is nice). Marriott is the same deal, great hotel also. I've been staying at the Hilton (across from the Marriott) quite a bit when I go (it can be found for $70/night with free parking/resort fee paid through LastMinuteTravel.com. The Hilton is decent too (although I think the Marriott is nicer, I rarely can find a room there under $100/night).

The Convention hotels are walkable, you can also either take the ART, or walk over to the Toy Story Lot and pick up a free shuttle over there (I do this quite a bit as one of my Twins thinks the "Blue Bus" is the best ride at Disney!

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Agreed with the others that once you go DCA, you can never go back.

With that being said, our family has stayed 6 times at the Portofino Inn at the corner of Harbor and Katella. It is within walking distance of the park, about five more minutes than the others mentioned outside the gates. We love it there for the kids suites which have a separate room with a door between your room and theirs. Nice place but don't expect much more than what you would find at a Days Inn. Remember you are only there to sleep.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

My favorite no-frills hotel is the Anaheim Plaza Inn, great service and clean rooms. Since we're barely there, it works.

I've stayed at the Carousel Inn, Park Place Inn, Desert Inn and the Ramada Maingate and have never had a complaint for anything. The one and only problem I had was the lack of good lighting for makeup application, but obviously not a deal breaker.

The Sheraton and the Marriott hotels are nice, but are a bit further away from The Park. Both are very well appointed and comfortable. The Sheraton has my favorite beds and they never deny me extra, extra pillows. I highly recommend both for more of a luxury feel and quiet mornings.

Have a wonderful trip!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Our travel dates shifted a bit so our hotel plans had to change as well. We decided to book the Kids Suite at the Hyatt Regency Orange County. I actually stayed at this hotel a LONG time ago when I was traveling with my high school. They used to have these HUGE flamingo statues in the front - impossible to forget. If anyone has stayed there recently I could use some advice with whether or not we should take the hotel's shuttle to/from DLR or should I drive our car to the parks. I have a premium annual passport so parking is free, the money isn't a factor. Which will be more convenient?

• The doctor is in

I would say if you have free parking to just take your car. That way if you wanted or needed to leave the area for some reason you would have a more convenient way to do so.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

I would go with the Doubletree Guest Suites on Harbor or the Anaheim Hilton (get a Lanai room!). I also really like Candy Cane Inn, but it is a motel.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• New Member Goes Forth

i normanlly stay at the Best western, Anaheim Inn. It is not a Disney hotel, but it is close to the resort, in walking distance, so it is perfect for the parks. Plu, you will be out most of the day, exploring the resort.
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12