Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

I had a back problem like that and I could only emphatise with and for you.
    Yet, with some lingering problems, I'm still able to climb down into a bobsled and ride it. Can't figure it out. I'll keep riding until the back has had enough.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Re: Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    There's no loop in space...

CASurfer65 was referring to Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris. That one does go upside-down

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• formerly very helpful

Sorry to hear you got hurt. Glad it wasn't more serious.
    This goes to show, in my opinion, why they need to invest in some more E-ticket level SLOWER attractions, along the lines of POTC, HM, and IASW. As more and more thrill rides are being added, more and more people are having less and less to enjoy there.
    Due to health restrictions, there are attractions I can't go on any longer. While I realize they can't design attractions ONLY for people like me, they can design a good mix so there will be something for everyone.

The jolt when the sled starts going up the hill is a killer!!!!! My back hurt the rest of the day. The worst part is my daughter loves the ride so much and now I'm too afraid that my back will snap if I ride it anymore. Not sure if anything can fix it its just an old ride.

It's been a year since my back and shoulder were destroyed by the Matterhorn. I am also in my mid-40s, in very good shape (go to the gym 3-4 times a week), not overweight or out of shape, and not only did the sharp bumps cause what my doctor says was a mild whiplash, but my shoulder and arm were strained by trying to get out of the car. I can't believe more people aren't injured by this ride. Hopefully Disney is hearing some things. For my part, I didn't bother to complain to Disney -- because I know what happens to complaints in that hyper-political, byzantine system that operates on the basis of denial and legal defensiveness.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    It's been a year since my back and shoulder were destroyed by the Matterhorn. I am also in my mid-40s, in very good shape (go to the gym 3-4 times a week), not overweight or out of shape, and not only did the sharp bumps cause what my doctor says was a mild whiplash, but my shoulder and arm were strained by trying to get out of the car. I can't believe more people aren't injured by this ride. Hopefully Disney is hearing some things. For my part, I didn't bother to complain to Disney -- because I know what happens to complaints in that hyper-political, byzantine system that operates on the basis of denial and legal defensiveness.
    I've been peeking in here reading all this and just astonished at the injuries. Whiplash from Matterhorn! Ew!

I rarely ride it because my kid doesn't like it (he hates Harold) and I'm always at the park with my kid. The last time I did ride it was at the Halloween Event in October and in all honesty, I noticed no difference than before nor did it hurt. But it was jarring, just not anymore than I remember.

No good about whiplash though.

• Disneyland Man

This is one of several reasons I have not renewed my annual pass.... Matterhorn is yet another major attraction and unique experiance, gone missing from Disneyland, now that it actually hurts to ride on (despite the welcome new single-rider line). It was always bumpy, but has gotten far worse than that, not just for passengers back and neck, but knees too. My serious concern is that it was ALLOWED to get bad. This is the same situation in Paris on Space Mountain, which does indeed have three inversions. When it was new, it was incredibly SMOOTH! I rode it over and over again because it was so beautifully smooth (as California Screaming still is) but within a few years, the original Space Mountain in France was allowed to deteriorate into the teeth-rattling painful endurance-test we know today, and we see that pattern again in Anaheim now. They weren't built like that, but ARE allowed to be run like that, even after massively extensive rehabs on both of these attractions; they were both returned to service working worse rather than being repaired (and I'm not addressing their aesthetics or logistics, which also suffered). These are choices being made. Disney charges premium prices for the greatest park experiences on earth, and then cheaps out on maintainence, forgetting both show quality and guest comfort. They spend tons of money to protect employees from unlikely situations, while making things look far less charming park-wide, but at the same time, actually allow guests to be routinely injured on shoddy rides. (how many bruises and stiff necks go unreported?) Disneyland's Space Mountain reopened with breaks squeaking so loudly at the load station for months, that I did finally have to say something. It was not just unpleasant, but unsettling- because it supposedly had just been fixed. I am worried for Big Thunder, as the track record (all puns intended) is pretty poor these past several years.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

People tend to look past the fact that there are different types of steel track designs, which result in different ride experiences.

Vekoma, which designed and built most of Disney's roller coasters (RNRC, Expedition Everest, BTMRR (new refurbs), SM, is known for producing rides that start out smooth and gradually turn into jolting, ear-bashing experiences because of the way their coaster cars ride on the track.

Intamin AG, which produces popular launching coasters (along with California Screamin -- although after the accident in 2005 brought on by Disney's disregard for the manufacturer, they basically disowned the ride), produces smooth rides that stay smooth because their coaster cars clamp around the outside of the rails, which allows the track to retain its strength and shape, as apposed to Vekoma whose coaster cars clamp inside the rails, which forces the track to warp and move out of shape over time.

While Matterhorn wasn't manufactured by Vekoma or Intamin, the track is nevertheless old and poorly designed. The heavy bobsleds clamp inside the rails, and the forces of those sleds working on the rails has made the experience uncomfortable over time. I can count at least 4 instances on the Tomorrowland side where the track crudely turns or bends too sharply.

It doesn't matter what bobsled you put on that ride, bubble-wrapped or not, the problem lies with the track.

I'm just hoping that the Matterhorn will receive a similar refurbishment to BTMRR, not just with track replacement, but hopefully a redesign.
    Last edited by Drewfilmboy; 02-05-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

What boggles my mind is the bobsleds themselves. I will take your word for it on track design, I know nothing about that, but the way this human fits in the sleds is awful. Angle of sitting, the way I have to grip the handles, and being unable to brace myself... it's hideously uncomfortable. Rode it once or twice to see if there was a way I could still enjoy the ride, and there wasn't. I could also see how someone with large feet or calves could have difficulty fitting into those little holes they have for your feet.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    What boggles my mind is the bobsleds themselves. I will take your word for it on track design, I know nothing about that, but the way this human fits in the sleds is awful. Angle of sitting, the way I have to grip the handles, and being unable to brace myself... it's hideously uncomfortable. Rode it once or twice to see if there was a way I could still enjoy the ride, and there wasn't. I could also see how someone with large feet or calves could have difficulty fitting into those little holes they have for your feet.
    You have a great point with the foot space. I wear a an 11 and it was hard to fit my feet in the space. I had a hard time fitting my legs in general and I'm only 5'5".
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    This doesn't mean you can't complain and let them know how you suffered regardless of whether they are defensive or you won't expect compensation.

Kelli: So sorry to hear about your back. I hope it has since worked itself out and you are feeling better. I am so happy to hear one of the view people who voice up about their bad experience and first think it was them instead of someone else fault. Its just refreshing to hear responsibility once in a while. Although I do agree with others, that you should have at least complained to guest relations. At the very least, with many people complaining it might bring about change to the ride. I voiced my thoughts about the new layout because my son would be a bit afraid to ride it solo in his own seat, but with the lap sitting he was comfortable since he was closer to us instead of feeling isolated and alone. So I voiced it. Maybe we can get better ride vehicles back.

Also glad that the travelling doc's worked out for you, they are a lot cheaper than an ER trip, and a lot faster and more comfortable. A thought is that you should try to contact your insurance company, if you have one, to see if you can submit the bill for reimbursement. They sometimes will payout.

Having traveled the parks a couple of times in a wheelchair, it definitely isn't what other people make it out to be, when you're literally confined to the chair.

I wish you the best on your speedy recovery and thanks for sharing your experiences.

I actually enjoy the rough ride. Do you people who have a hard time with the Matterhorn also have a hard time with Indiana Jones? I find that one to be much more jarring. (which I personally quite like.)
    397 or 406 miles too far from DLR, depending on who you ask...

• Greetings, Program!

I have a bad feeling about BTMRR.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

I have zero problems with Indy. If I didn't have to sit on the Matterhorn at such a stupid angle, I'd have no problems with it, either.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast