Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

I do think it would help if they added good cushioning to the seats and seat backs. Are you listening Disney???

• Future Imagineer

Re: Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

They could always just tear it down and put in a concrete smoking park, if it 'always has [and] always will' hurt people too much.

I personally love the ride even more now, and can't wait to ride it time after time next week
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by disneyFREAK242 View Post
    They could always just tear it down and put in a concrete smoking park, if it 'always has [and] always will' hurt people too much.

I personally love the ride even more now, and can't wait to ride it time after time next week
    I enjoy it too, and it seems as though the OP used to as well. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's a jarring attraction. Personally, I feel like the new bobsleds enhance the roughness due to the fact that there is virtually no padding and you're a little more crammed in now. I don't think anyone is asking it to be torn down, so making that claim is a little preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I have zero problems with Indy. If I didn't have to sit on the Matterhorn at such a stupid angle, I'd have no problems with it, either.
    I'm on the same page with you here, alphabassetgrrl.

• The doctor is in

I never found the Matterhorn that jarring in the past. I don't think that's just because I was younger, either.

The only other ride I had slight issues with, in terms of being jarred around, was Thunder Mountain but it wasn't bad enough to make me feel like I couldn't ride it again. Oddly enough I don't have any issues with Indiana Jones. I just never sit on an edge seat because I always feel like I'm going to fall out of the Jeep.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Indy and Big Thunder sit you in a normal sitting position. Matterhorn puts me with my knees up, leaning forward, and *jammed* onto my tailbone. I'm not even sure padding would fix it, since the angle of sit would still be bad.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I've been on the Matterhorn three times since it reopened. I've tried to like it, but my third experience with the new bobsleds really did it in for me. Not only do the new vehicles jolt you around more than the previous ones, but they are very restrictive in terms of body movement. Once you are seated, your feet and entire body are locked into that awkward sitting position. Furthermore, unlike the previous bobsleds, there aren't any handles to brace yourself well. You are literally at the mercy of such a horribly designed vehicle.

This is really quite sad because I love the Matterhorn, and now the ride is as good as closed to me. They may as well shut it down because I'm never going to ride it again.

That is such a huge bummer! But its good to know your care was so good.

Several years ago, my husband returned home from Disneyland with bulging disc. We sort of suspected the Matterhorn, but never addressed it. He had no history of spinal injury. He's been healed with no flare up for three years now. But on our last trip, he rode Matterhorn, and was instantly thrown back into a flare up that lasted another three weeks. No more Matterhorn for him .. or me .. or anyone that we take to the parks with us, ever again.

• Keepin' it calsteady

I have a "bad" back and just want to add that backs go out for all sorts of crazy reasons (last time for me was when I was drying off after a shower, for instance, and I recently heard Alex Trebeck and a Jeopardy contestant comparing ER visits after sneezing). It's impossible to predict what will hurt any one person's back, and since a day on your feet and riding attractions is really rough on your back every thrill ride says people with back problems shouldn't ride them.

I will say that as a bad-back-haver I will not go on Matterhorn again, but it's not because of the track, it's the new vehicles: Squatting down and squeezing into them puts stress on the lower back, and getting out isn't any better. I think that's the mostly likely reason for someone to strain their back on it compared to any other ride. Not sure how I made it out unscathed, but I won't risk it again.

Oh, and adhesive heat packs are really helpful for getting through a day at Disneyland (try one out for a day at home first, to make sure your skin doesn't react badly to them), as are heated car seats on the drive home!

• LOL

** Touring the park in a wheelchair -- AWFUL. I have a newfound compassion. Also - every surface is 'bumpy' in case you were wondering.
    I so agree with you!!!! My kidney failure has advanced to the point that I have to use a chair/scooter at the park. We were down (live in Oregon) to the resort last October and it was terrible being on a scooter. I told my husband that I don't want to go back until after I have a kidney and the doctors release me to travel. It was such a miserable experience.

• DL Vistor Since 1968

I rode the new Matterhorn Bobsleds last August. I agree that the cars are poorly designed for ingress/egress. Since it had been quite some time since I rode the former version, I couldn't tell if it was bumpier (I chose the Fantasyland side to be safe!). The position of the grab handles were awkward as well.

I am so sorry that you had to deal with a medical issue because of the ride. I'm hearing that a lot of people are abstaining. Hopefully, Disney will get the message.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123