Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

Well, if I ever wondered vaguely about experiencing a medical emergency at Disneyland, I can wonder no more!

We go typically 2 times per year. I am a relatively active, height-weight-proportional Mom, 44. We were at Disneyland last week and Thursday was our 3rd day. I spent the day touring both parks -- I rode lots of stuff, like I always do (Space Mountain, Radiator Springs Racers, Raiders, Tower of Terror, Ca Screamin').

Last ride of the night for me was the Matterhorn. I'd toured Matterhorn in the morning -- my first "post remake" tour of the Matterhorn. I stopped riding the Matterhorn a couple years prior to the rehab, because I always felt so jostled getting off it. In the morning I rode and was seated toward the back. It seemed OK -- I did not think it felt incredibly smoother (it did seem slower to me....) but my husband thought it felt smoother so I decided to try it again. In the evening ride I was placed right in the front. Of course, looking back, I should have asked to move. But I thought I'd be OK, tried to brace myself accordingly.

I was a bit tweaked & stiff getting off the ride, and sore by the time we got back to the hotel. I soaked in the hot tub, went to bed and slept fine. Woke up in the AM with a completely frozen back. It was completely terrifying -- I've never experienced it before. I could not move a single inch, not even to get up to the restroom.

We called the Traveling Doctors (recommended from the Grand Californian) and a female doc was there within 1 hour. She prescribed a muscle relaxant and steroid, and I was able to at least move to the facilities, and hobble into a wheelchair. My riding time was COMPLETELY done. My husband wheeled me gently through the park and I watched my kids (so disappointed they were!!).

Report outs:

** My days riding the Matterhorn are DONE for sure. I will never take the chance again.
    ** Traveling Doc (in case you ever wondered) were prompt, courteous, and put me at ease immediately.
    ** Cost was $350 for them to just step into your room, meds were additional - total cost: $430
    ** GC really easy to work with -- had a wheelchair ready almost immediately, everyone very helpful.
    ** Touring the park in a wheelchair -- AWFUL. I have a newfound compassion. Also - every surface is 'bumpy' in case you were wondering.

It was difficult getting back on the plane but we made it home safely to Seattle.

Thanks,
    Kelli

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

Wow, that is a bummer! I wonder if DLR plans on adding a small layer of cushion to the seats of sleds, the lack of padding has kept me off the MH since I first rode it after the refurb.

• All-American

Re: Matterhorn was the final straw for my back, AND a traveling doctor experience!

That's awful! Did you tell guest relations the source of the problem? That is really unacceptable that a ride would be allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    That's awful! Did you tell guest relations the source of the problem? That is really unacceptable that a ride would be allowed to do that.
    I did not. I guess I just figure it's my own fault for riding the thing again. I won't make that mistake ever again!

• I'm from Canada eh!

That is really disappointing to read. I rode it twice on our last trip and it was indeed bumpy perhaps to a fault.

You should let the management know, if just to make them aware that you were hurt on a ride that, while can be bumpy, was excessive.

• Parking Lot > DCA

That is a total bummer!

You know, I've ridden the Matterhorn countless times before the new sled replacement and about 4-5 times since then. As fun as that attraction is, I always realize "This was a terrible idea" about 45 seconds into the ride. Specifically with the new sleds. Between my knees slamming the back of the seat in front of me, and getting thrown around like a rag doll the whole time I think my days riding it are over. I feel like a 22 year old shouldn't feel like he just got out the ring with Pacquiao after he steps off the Matterhorn, but that's just me.

• The doctor is in

Sorry to hear that!

I am 24 and my back was incredibly sore and a bit seized up after riding the Matterhorn last October. My third day in the park was rough because my back and my hips were hurting. I don't think I'm ever going to ride it again and that's unfortunate as the Matterhorn has always been a favorite of mine.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I've been reading a LOT about how uncomfortable the new Matterhorn sleds are. I haven't ridden it since 1990 because it was down for refurb my last two trips and I was excited to take my bf on it this year because he hasn't experienced it yet but now I'm almost afraid to! I hope they add padding to the seats; Disney must have heard the rumbling about it by now.

The Traveling Doc still sounds cheaper than an ER, so I'm glad they have them.

I'm with you on the Matterhorn. I won't ride it any more (and I *don't* have back problems). It used to be bumpy and rough, no problem, but now it's downright awful. I hate the angle at which you sit and only the handhold on the back of the car in front of you are useful (and not very good). The ones inside the car are useless.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• former CM

Gregorypeckfan,
    Sorry you had that experience, but THANK YOU for writing such a good post!

I haven't been on the Matterhorn in years because I've always found it uncomfortable.

I wonder what is a more painful ride today, Disneyland's Matterhorn or Disneyland Paris' Space Mtn.?
    On that Space Mtn. with a loop, my ears frequently smashed into the overhead bar. I saw many guests get off that uncomfortable ride holding their heads and necks.

• Minion

I found Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris rather jostling as well, and I do remember my head getting knocked around a bit. Getting off the attraction I almost felt like, 'what just happened?' It was like a blur of crazed speed and lunacy. It was kind of fun....but definitely raucous. In the dark, getting flailed all around. lol
    And by the way, is it a vertical loop in there, or more of a barrel roll type of looping experience. I honestly don't even remember going upside down. It was so fast and furious. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Gregorypeckfan,
    Sorry you had that experience, but THANK YOU for writing such a good post!

I haven't been on the Matterhorn in years because I've always found it uncomfortable.

I wonder what is a more painful ride today, Disneyland's Matterhorn or Disneyland Paris' Space Mtn.?
    On that Space Mtn. with a loop, my ears frequently smashed into the overhead bar. I saw many guests get off that uncomfortable ride holding their heads and necks.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    And by the way, is it a vertical loop in there, or more of a barrel roll type of looping experience. I honestly don't even remember going upside down. It was so fast and furious. lol
    There's no loop in space...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I rode it last about six weeks ago, but my wife has given up on it. Too rough for her. Didn't get around to it this trip. I have a pinched nerve in my neck, so I never ride the same coaster more than once in a single day. That's worked for me, so far. Not prone to back problems, and I do exercises to keep my core strong, since I spend a lot of time in the saddle.

That ride can be harsh for a lot of people. Helps to be a tough old bird....
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• former CM

Smooth Coasters

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    . . . I never ride the same coaster more than once in a single day. That's worked for me, so far. . .
    I do this to avoid motion sickness ever since I made the mistake of riding Universal's Fire & Ice (pre-Potter) coasters three times in a row. (No line. I didn't have to get off and rest in between.)
    First time I felt great.
    Second time, just a little bit sick.
    Third time, total destruction.
    Left the park and went to the movie theaters. I felt fine again by the end of an Austin Powers sequel.

The funny thing is that my motion sickness seems to be in remission. I've been going on ANYTHING, including the once deadly (to me) teacups, and I feel great. But like you, Trekkie Dad, once is enough. I could probably do Big Thunder a couple of times in a row though.

This is probably the best thread for us California Screamin' fans to come out of the closet on Micechat.
    Smooth ride for a pretty big coaster.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of smooth coasters within 6 miles of Dumbo, Knott's Jaguar, Xcelerator & small Pony Express coasters are all smooth ones I recommend. Jaguar is an excellent big training coaster if you're trying to encourage your kid to become a ride daredevil. I think Xcelerator is half the size of a similar coasters at Cedar Point and NJ's Kingda Ka, but I like it if the line is short. Pony Express is too short so I only really like it if we get there when the park opens and they let us go around twice when there are so few people in line.

Some would lump Knott's Ghostrider in the same discomfort category with the Matterhorn and Paris' Space Mtn., but my now 7-year old LOVES this ride so I'm willing to ride it. Once a year.

QUESTION: How do your pre-teen kids like the current Matterhorn ride & cars? Are kids much more comfortable than adults?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-04-2013 at 09:14 PM.

• The doctor is in

I'm at the point where I don't think padding would help. It's just the sleds. They are poorly designed.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast