Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16

    • No Disassemble!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    791

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I didn't get to see the show myself but hearing about all the complaints did get me a little depressed thinking about where we are as a society in comparison to my parents & grandparents generation. If saucy mistresses and can can dancers from the wild wild west are considered sexist and visually vulgar for families then I wonder how networks like TV Land can stay afloat a midst the millions of complaints they must get for airing episodes of Bonanza and Gunsmoke.

    Note to Knott's: Better get that leg out of the window before you catch a lawsuit.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    139

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I’ve never been much into the study of sociology, but the negative reactions to this show intrigue me, comparing what was acceptable in the 1950’s to what appalls people 58 years later – especially considering what else is considered socially acceptable in today’s society.

    Can-Can Girls and a flirty Mistress of Ceremonies is not acceptable in 2013. The occasional glimpse of a petti-panty is not acceptable in 2013.
    Yet you can’t turn on the television today and watch for any length of time w/o catching a glimpse of a Victoria Secret model displaying the skimpiest of skimpies, or an under 30 actress (or over 30 for that matter) dressed like what would have been construed in the 1990’s as a “working girl”, and any and every sort of public displays of affection (between man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, and sometimes man/woman and beast). You can’t watch primetime television for more than 40 minutes without encountering some sort of sexual innuendo. Half the time they aren’t even innuendo but rather blatant references (anyone see the “Douche” musical number of Two and a half Men this week). A movie like “Burlesque” can play on ABC Family, but Can-Can girls can’t dance in the Horseshoe?

    Is this because its live entertainment instead of televised entertainment? Or is this just because we’ve become too politically correct?

  3. #18

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,222
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I enjoyed the show the 2 times that I saw it. I enjoyed the Can Can dancers. I couldn't dance like that even in my younger days.

    Considering the beach attire that is worn nowadays, nothing more was revealed than that.

  4. #19

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    Is this because its live entertainment instead of televised entertainment? Or is this just because we’ve become too politically correct?
    I suspect that it's a combination of multiple factors, including a perception among some (especially younger) parents that Disney product is for young children, a perception which Disney promotes and encourages; a tendency of some parents to act out displays of entitlement concerning their children; the lack of historical perspective of some Disney-branded-lifestyle consumerists, and a tendency to perceive video entertainment (television, video games) as abstractions governed by different standards than live entertainment.

    When considering the venue of the show -- today's Frontierland -- the "Disneyland is for kiddies" perception and lack of historical perspective would seem to dominate the list. The original Golden Horseshoe Revue was presented in the original Frontierland, a land that was filled with American history. In contrast, today's Frontierland has been kiddified and carnivalized with cartoon Sheriffs, pinlights on the buildings, music from movies like City Slickers and Blazing Saddles, and cartoon brand merchandise in every store. Its sense of historical authenticity is all but gone: there are no more old-fashioned shops with authentic frontier merchandise, no Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, no keelboats, no authentic frontier fort to explore, no Indian village. Disney-branded-lifestyle consumerist moms, stopping by on their way to ride Winnie the Pooh with their Cars-collecting little boys and Princessified little girls, may be thrown by the revival of the historically-based Golden Horseshoe Revue. Its historical references and comic antecedents, both American and Disneyland, may go over their heads, and even annoy or shock them.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  5. #20

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    812

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    I’ve never been much into the study of sociology, but the negative reactions to this show intrigue me, comparing what was acceptable in the 1950’s to what appalls people 58 years later – especially considering what else is considered socially acceptable in today’s society.
    In the minds of many people, when they're in Disneyland it's about their children, and frankly people in this country are getting weird with regard to their children. Perhaps this is a reaction to how depraved the rest of the culture has become, but there is this strange notion that children must be sheltered from everything. Of course, doing this only makes things worse in a number of different ways (think Prohibition and the War on Drugs and all the great benefits they brought to the country ). Children know more and can understand more than some people think, and in my opinion the Golden Horseshoe tribute show was a fairly tame, family-friendly way to have a little fun with subjects that in real life would be rather raunchy. On top of that, it gives people a little sample of the stage shows of the past, as in the real western frontier. If anything, it seems quite sanitized already, but then again I'm comparing it to adult shows while the complainers are probably comparing it to Barney the dinosaur.

    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    Is this because its live entertainment instead of televised entertainment?
    I think it is in the sense that some people are always looking for a "safe" place for their children, and the content of TV is easier for them to ignore because it's not a physical place. Increasingly over time, I'm getting the impression that people are paranoid about safety (of all kinds). We're a society that lives in fear more and more each day, and it's silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    Or is this just because we’ve become too politically correct?
    For some who didn't like the show, I'm sure that this was the main reason. More broadly, political correctness has made people much more sensitive to being offended, which of course leads to more complaints and lawsuits and such. People never seem to realize the danger of their good intentions and foresee the unintended consequences. I've already mentioned Prohibition and the War on Drugs, and with political correctness what we got is something intended to make people more tolerant in some ways actually making people less tolerant in other ways--even to the point that they lose their sense of humor. And all it takes these days is a few vocal complainers to ruin most everything for everybody else.

  6. #21

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    161

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I disagree 100%.

    If I want to be part of the show I would audition for a role. I'm going to a show to be entertained. I often walk out on shows that involve audience participation and never voluntarily watch a show that I know ahead of time involves it. This is because I have such huge stage fright that it takes away from my experience of enjoying the show. And just so you know I was like this before the advent of PC's so that's not a valid reason. Also IMO I think these types of shows rely on this type of entertainment when the talent isn't there or the story isn't strong enough to present without getting the audience involved. The audience shouldn't be forced into performing -- that's the job of the actors involved in the show.
    Well you solved your own problem then really. Don't attend the show to avoid such situations. Your condition of extreme stage fright handicaps you from enjoying such performances is understandable. Using an audience member as a "prop" has been part of stage shows and comedy shows for centuries. It is still commonly used at stand up comedy clubs to this day. I suggest you do not attend any comedy shows, for what they do to you there will make the harmless Golden Horseshoe Revue look like a friendly hello.

    I used to dislike being singled out too. But atleast you get a chance to steal the show! I once got singled out by a comedian at a comedy club and it backfired on the comedian because my sharp comebacks had the place rolling! The comedian even bought me and my party a round of drinks afterwards!
    Last edited by DisneylandDragon; 02-07-2013 at 11:17 AM.

  7. #22

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    849

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    I’ve never been much into the study of sociology, but the negative reactions to this show intrigue me, comparing what was acceptable in the 1950’s to what appalls people 58 years later – especially considering what else is considered socially acceptable in today’s society.

    Can-Can Girls and a flirty Mistress of Ceremonies is not acceptable in 2013. The occasional glimpse of a petti-panty is not acceptable in 2013.
    Yet you can’t turn on the television today and watch for any length of time w/o catching a glimpse of a Victoria Secret model displaying the skimpiest of skimpies, or an under 30 actress (or over 30 for that matter) dressed like what would have been construed in the 1990’s as a “working girl”, and any and every sort of public displays of affection (between man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, and sometimes man/woman and beast). You can’t watch primetime television for more than 40 minutes without encountering some sort of sexual innuendo. Half the time they aren’t even innuendo but rather blatant references (anyone see the “Douche” musical number of Two and a half Men this week). A movie like “Burlesque” can play on ABC Family, but Can-Can girls can’t dance in the Horseshoe?

    Is this because its live entertainment instead of televised entertainment? Or is this just because we’ve become too politically correct?

    My guess is because in this country, sexuality is a false dichotomy where it is either glorified, or harshly condemned. No one is taking the difficult approach of teaching respect and understanding of what it is. I imagine it is why this sort of thing rarely happens in europe even with their more open perception, discussion, and display of sexuality. Yet the kids are fine there. Probably because they are properly educated on the subject and are neither pushed into it or completely sheltered away from it.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    124

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I wholeheartedly agree. I can remember when Frontierland realy felt like stepping back in time. It used to be one of my favorite parts of the park. Now the only thing that I enjoy is the Shooting Gallery. The stores had items you just can't find any more. I loved the leather goods and (faux) **** skin caps and the wooden rifles and guns that were available. I used to buy a new wallet on my visits because they were such high quality leather but now there is nothing that connects the stores to the Frontierland theme.

  9. #24

    • Disneyland PAP
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Harbor City, CA
    Posts
    1,298

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    Been following this thread since last night. Considering the issues raised comparing past and current socially acceptable perceptions, seeing this was incredibly ironic.

    Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    I loved the leather goods and (faux) **** skin caps and the wooden rifles and guns that were available.
    I'm frustrated by the arguments of offensive promiscuity in the show. It's not that I don't understand the concern or it being shocking or offensive to some. But it's "some", not all. And these days, it just seems that "some" can speak for "all" when an open dialogue and open-minded discussion can bridge concerns and enlighten what the true intentions are, not what they're interpreted to be.

    Anyway, in this case, and while they do have some responsibility to bear for not taking the extra mile to educate and promote the show on all park guests, I feel bad that Disney had to deal with the apparent amount of negativity from guests at City Hall. My friends and I enjoyed the show and had hoped it would come back for other fans to sample and enjoy.

  10. #25

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I don't understand where these complaints about the show came from either. Every showing I went to the place was packed and everyone was enjoying it. And the misconception that Disneyland is just for kids isn't true either. As Walt once said, it's for the kid in everyone. The Salute to the Golden Horseshoe Revue was classic Disneyland entertainment at its finest.

  11. #26

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment on the content. I'm surprised that can-can dancers on their own would cause such an uproar, though. They have them in it's a small world...

    Originally Posted by Westsider on the Al Lutz comment page
    The Horseshoe Show has been getting concerns daily, both at City Hall and to Leads or managers in Frontierland.

    FUNNY STORY: A couple weeks ago a woman storms into City Hall to complain about the show. She is upset that Disneyland would subject her and her toddler to the “sexist” show “stuck in the 1950′s”. She uses the words “oppressive” and “unsafe space for women” several times in her complaint. The woman has tattoos on her arms and legs and some of them are rather graphic, she has pinkish dreadlocks that look like a bird might be living in, she is wearing Yoga attire that looks VERY casual, and she kind of smells…. funny. The City Hall CM dutifully records her complaint as another woman upset at the Golden Horseshoe Revue that day.

    But the funny thing is her slovenly and anti-social appearance would have had her barred from the park in the 1960′s and 70′s, and she would have never been allowed in to see the original show to begin with. But now she can get in looking like she does, and she complains loudly about Disneyland creating “an unsafe space for women” with the can-can girls.

    True story from inside Disneyland’s City Hall!


    I haven't seen the show - but this assessment of a guest really makes me sad. So someone wearing yoga clothes, pink hair or tattoos is "anti-social?" It seems as though the person who made that comment is the one who was stuck in the 1950s. Yoga clothes are typically long pants or capris and a t-shirt - what's offensive there, Disney sells that stuff in their stores? Pink hair? You can get it at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. The tattoos? People get tattoos these days.

    Body odor? Okay, that one I agree is slovenly.
    Last edited by Malina; 02-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  12. #27

    • Bring back the Keelboats!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lompoc, CA
    Posts
    2,391

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    I'll start by saying I did not see the show in person..much to my regret. We just were not able to get down to see it. We did watch it on YouTube, however. I caught myself asking Russ: how long Miss Lily was going to be out in the audience? It seemed to me that it went on and on since she had to go to a second gentleman as the first was totally unresponsive and uncooperative.

    I loved the original show, and yes, Betty Taylor did go out in the audience with her heart-shaped mirror. It just didn't seem to go on and on as it did with Miss Lily.

    But, since I wasn't there and didn't see any of the other shows, perhaps it was different each time.

    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


    Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


    Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    237

    Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    In the minds of many people, when they're in Disneyland it's about their children, and frankly people in this country are getting weird with regard to their children.

    That's an understatement......anyone want some cotton candy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue
    By Wild Ol' Dan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
  2. Fond memories of the golden horseshoe revue
    By Wild Ol' Dan in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
  3. Restoring Walt Disney’s Disneyland: The Golden Horseshoe Revue
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 07:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •