Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Musical Fireman

Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Well I see by the old clock on the wall, that today is sadly the final performance day of the Golden Horseshoe Revue... I loved the show, even if people bash it as being a mish mash of the Jamboree and the Revue. The band, the leading lady and of course the Can Can dancers were all just so talented and funny! It's just so silly that the one time Disney actually keeps the deadline of of when a show ends and doesn't extend it's engagement. WHY DISNEY! WHY CAN'T YOU KEEP THE REVUE ON PERMANENT TIME MAGIC! Anyways I'd like yo see your reactions to the show!

See ya walking right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Final thoughts on the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Overall, the extra-cost event my group attended was well worth it, but I do have one key area I am 'critical' of (and no, not saying it's the extra cost or value for that or the logistics/organization).

I liked the sandwiches and salads for what they were, the Mint Julep was a solid 'meh' and the cake tasty, and quite liked receiving a plastic boot full of Fritos and a CD of the original show. The singing and dancing portions and historical bit about Walt were all well-staged and lively, and a 'plus' which I do think should stick around, even without any Wally Boag material.

But I will say this: to center any form of live entertainment basically on spotlighting the audience for your show to embarrass them in front of a crowd of strangers for ‘laughs’ has always rubbed me the wrong way. This may well be a thing particular to me in critiquing this particular show, granted, which not many/no others might agree with.

But it’s a cheap method to go for a laugh and in the end may well just make a client/guest sorry they attended your event/entertainment. That portion of this tribute show was cringe-worthy and awful, frankly - the normal Frontierland group of improv actors and their show featuring the Mayor, the Sheriff and his daughter at least has the virtue of including one of the guests drafted in the gag from the get-go and the involved guests can tell it's rather absurd comedy, as opposed to just trying to make them uncomfortable, point blank.

So the ‘flirting’ segment with Miss Lilly was just, to me anyway, crass and awkward and solely centered on giving a guest a hard time for ‘fun’ in front of both their party and total strangers: I’d hate it if happened to me, and can only assume a certain percentage of the male ‘marks’ loathe the experience as well. That made me rate the whole experience downwards, and would have done so whether or it not was on Disney property or another theme park/entertainment venue, or regardless of what the overall show was.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

So the ‘flirting’ segment with Miss Lilly was just, to me anyway, crass and awkward and solely centered on giving a guest a hard time for ‘fun’
    That sort of thing has always been part of the style and charm of an old west style show since the 1800's. It may be hard to accept now because a large segment of our society have become nothing more than a bunch of gawkers who are too timid to stick their heads out from behind a computer screen or camera lens. I'm not big on being chosen randomly for things like this myself, but I can stomach a few moments of uncomfortable attention in the name of good natured fun for everyone. In the end I feel much better knowing that the audience is not laughing at you as much as they are laughing with you. Just my thoughts.

• I am number 4 of 999

Not knowing anything about the original show, I thought the "salute" was too short in length, and I'm not sure why they bothered to include the guys at all, since they barely did anything (which I suspect was not the case in the original). The Can-Can choreography was good, IMO. It was fun while it lasted, but I won't be sorry that it's done.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDragon View Post
    That sort of thing has always been part of the style and charm of an old west style show since the 1800's. It may be hard to accept now because a large segment of our society have become nothing more than a bunch of gawkers who are too timid to stick their heads out from behind a computer screen or camera lens. I'm not big on being chosen randomly for things like this myself, but I can stomach a few moments of uncomfortable attention in the name of good natured fun for everyone. In the end I feel much better knowing that the audience is not laughing at you as much as they are laughing with you. Just my thoughts.
    I disagree 100%.

If I want to be part of the show I would audition for a role. I'm going to a show to be entertained. I often walk out on shows that involve audience participation and never voluntarily watch a show that I know ahead of time involves it. This is because I have such huge stage fright that it takes away from my experience of enjoying the show. And just so you know I was like this before the advent of PC's so that's not a valid reason. Also IMO I think these types of shows rely on this type of entertainment when the talent isn't there or the story isn't strong enough to present without getting the audience involved. The audience shouldn't be forced into performing -- that's the job of the actors involved in the show.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

As far as the audience participation thing, I used to be in the group of those that found that sort of thing embarassing. However, both the Golden Horseshoe Revue in Disneyland, and The Five and Dime Show in DCA use that tactic as part of the entertainment. I was chosen last week in the Five and Dime Show and asked to dance in front of the Carthay Circle. I went along with it. It was fun for me. I am glad that I have lightened up. I certainly do understand those who have the opposite feeling about it.

• formerly very helpful

First, I haven't seen the revival, so things may be different since I last saw the show a couple of decades ago. I remember being dragged into the show. For me, they "tried to fix me up" with a young lady from the audience. Honestly, I was single and she was cute, so I really didn't mind. However, I saw the show many times, and never saw anyone who seemed to have a hard time. Out of respect for those who prefer not to be included, they could easily have a section in the first couple of rows of tables which is designated a "participation section," kind of like the splash zone at Sea World. If you don't want to risk being called on, sit elsewhere. If need be, they could even rework the show not to include audience recruiting/impressing into the show.
    Point beng, I'd hate to think they would NEVER bring in a show like this again, simply because of a couple of comedy bits that may make some people uncomfortable. Yes, I'm in that group that hopes that they may bring it back again.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Well, according to Al's column, they received tons of complaints about to show being too risque. Both the Can-Can dancers and Miss Lil they said were not family friendly. Just silly, IMO, but the odds on it coming back now seem pretty decreased
    Mike

• Minion

After reading Al's update, I'd say there is 0% chance of anything coming back to the stage anytime soon. Not only because of the complaints, but because of the decrease in food sales. Disney isn't going to put something into the park that costs money to produce and cuts into sales. If food sales increased substantially while the show was running, I'd almost guarantee we'd see some sort of new show moving in.

• formerly very helpful

I hate to say it, but I think you're right. It really saddens me. The Golden Horseshoe was really a marvelous show. I'm glad I at least got to see the (second) show way back when.

I feel like anyone who feels this show is all that different or special must be doing so fueled with a heavy dose of nostalgia. From my perspective, with no recollection of the original, it was okay, but no more entertaining that the current Golden Horseshoe fare as far as I'm concerned. It reminded me quite a bit of the Calico Saloon show at Knott's, which I'm guessing is actually inspired by the Golden Horseshoe shows of yesteryear.

Anyone who complained about the show not being family friendly baffles me. Standards were so much higher 20-50 years ago when the show was going on, and no one complained. Yet, the standards of what you see on tv and just walking around Disneyland have dropped to where you see things you shouldn't nor want to see, and yet people complain about can can dancers and a show where someone jokingly flirts with people? I guarentee you the people complaining are watching Jersey Shore, CougarTown and whatever else sleazeball shows are on today in prime time.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Anyone who complained about the show not being family friendly baffles me. Standards were so much higher 20-50 years ago when the show was going on, and no one complained. Yet, the standards of what you see on tv and just walking around Disneyland have dropped to where you see things you shouldn't nor want to see, and yet people complain about can can dancers and a show where someone jokingly flirts with people? I guarentee you the people complaining are watching Jersey Shore, CougarTown and whatever else sleazeball shows are on today in prime time.
    Speaking of which:

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider on the Al Lutz comment page
    The Horseshoe Show has been getting concerns daily, both at City Hall and to Leads or managers in Frontierland.

FUNNY STORY: A couple weeks ago a woman storms into City Hall to complain about the show. She is upset that Disneyland would subject her and her toddler to the “sexist” show “stuck in the 1950′s”. She uses the words “oppressive” and “unsafe space for women” several times in her complaint. The woman has tattoos on her arms and legs and some of them are rather graphic, she has pinkish dreadlocks that look like a bird might be living in, she is wearing Yoga attire that looks VERY casual, and she kind of smells…. funny. The City Hall CM dutifully records her complaint as another woman upset at the Golden Horseshoe Revue that day.

But the funny thing is her slovenly and anti-social appearance would have had her barred from the park in the 1960′s and 70′s, and she would have never been allowed in to see the original show to begin with. But now she can get in looking like she does, and she complains loudly about Disneyland creating “an unsafe space for women” with the can-can girls.

True story from inside Disneyland’s City Hall!
    Things like this are why I've said for years that City Hall CMs deserve hazard pay. No joke.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• former CM

I LOVED the Golden Horseshoe Revue tribute show, especially when Lily (Lilly?) Belle flirted with me in front of my daughter, who was laughing her head off! (And I'm an uptight, feminist prude who can't believe that the Buy-a-Wench scene is still in PoTC, and who found Beyonce's halftime show gratuitously sexual for a program watched by millions of families.)

I also liked the "Where are you from?" jokes the GH's comedian used to use on the audience,
    And Regions Beyond, you're a fellow enthusiast of Knott's Scary Farm. Isn't that a more intense experience of performers getting in your face? (
    In the Camp Snoopy vampire zone, a vampire prostitute had us laughing hard as she tried to tempt me, and another acted like a Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian version of a vampire as professed his desire to make our friend live forever.) I guess there isn't the audience issue at Knott's, but having grown up as the youngest of nine kids, the more attention I get the happier I am.

Exception: I hated when law school professors used the Socratic method in front of large classes.

I am sorry that the Entertainment department's excellent efforts weren't equaled (in my opinion) by the food division's offerings and "speed" before the show.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I am old enough to remember the original show, and I enjoyed this one last Sunday, even though it was only a tribute to the original. The flirting portion was very much a part of the original show.
    Name:  Horseshoe1.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  53.3 KB
    It didn't appear that anyone there was embarrassed or offended by any part of the show; rather audience members were cheering and applauding.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast