• Know More Than You Should

Post C33's Main Street Xmas Loop Adventure

As some of you will recall, Al Lutz wrote an article a little while back about the Main Street Christmas Loop:

http://miceage.com/allutz/al112105a.htm

In the article, he tells you exactly which albums all of the songs in the loop come from.

So, this month, I decided to try and find them all. That's right, I'm going to track down every single song and album.

The first few were easy. A Music Box Christmas is available on iTunes. And so, there were the first 8 tracks.

Amazon also has Ultra-Lounge: Christmas Cocktails, so there was one more for 9 tracks.

And now, it came time to find the vinyl albums.

I ordered three off of eBay: Silent Night - And Thirteen Other Christmas Songs by Lawrence Welk, The Sound of Christmas - Volume 2, and Merry Christmas by Raymond Lefevre.

The first album arrived on Friday, The Sound of Christmas - Volume 2:

Now of course came the tricky part. How to get the song onto my computer? Unfortunetly my computer doesn't have a vinyl drive built in.

So, I went over to our record player. It's an old one, purchased in the 80s. The trick was how to record the track digitally. I couldn't go directly into my computer; I have a desktop PC and it's in a different room. What I did have, however, was my iTalk voice recorder for my iPod, which has a microphone input jack. After some experimentation, I was able to get a pretty good recording.

If you'd like to listen to it, click the link below. It's not a direct download (sure it's an old record, but it would still be illegal). You will need flash:

http://www.carouselofmagic.com/mscl_tsocv2.html

It may take some time to load if you are on a slow connection (1.3mb). I'll grant you it's not the best recording, but a friend is going to bring over their CD burner and hopefully I can get a higher-quality transfer.

So that's where I am right now. I'll post updates to this thread as I collect more tracks.

NOTE: I will not be selling or burning CDs for people once I have compiled the whole loop, nor will I make it available for download. I *may* offer them as prizes on my website. But that's it.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Re: C33's Main Street Xmas Loop Adventure

Totally, totally cool! What a great project, and congratulations on your success!